Should I update my nook color to 1.4

Daphne

Nov 22, 2011
Should I update my nook color to 1.4? I am running CM7 from a bootable card I made with the help of this wonderful forum. Will it still run the card if I update the nook?
B&N sent me an email saying that 1.4 is now available and to how great it is. So should I or shouldn't I?
Thanks
Daphne

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You can update it without any issues for running the bootable CM7 card. The question really is why? Honestly, now that you are running CM7 from the SD card how often do you boot into the stock Nook? Even if you do is there anything this update adds that you will need when you are running the stock Nook?

So while there is no reason not to, it seems like it is just a headache to update for the sake of updating if you are just running CM7 anyway.

Daphne

Nov 22, 2011
Thank you
True I have used it as a nook to read a few books and dd loves the read to me books, but I mainly use it as the cm7.

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
While I run CM7 internally, my wife is stock and I updated her. I found the update made hers run a little "snappier". And I may upgrade my Netflix account for streaming so that I can still watch the movies that I want while she can watch all those girly movies on her Nook. :)

MyJewishSoul

May 31, 2011
I have a similar question. I am running a semi-rooted (uNooter) NC with 1.3. software. I like to have the ability to use the stock software of the Nook but I also like having root access, is there a way to update to 1.4 and remain semi-rooted?

Thank you.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Not unless you want to lose root. It is possible to root 1.4 but the method is manual and not newb friendly. Besides that there are no real advantages to having 1.4 unrooted over 1.2 or 1.3 rooted. The real question is have you considered CM7?

beaujack

Jan 3, 2012
I went thru the agonizing process of resetting my rooted 1.3NC (crippled) to cherry 1.2 so manual 141 update could be applied. I left the NC at cherry 1.4.1 for a few days. It was stable, I liked the navigation. Then I rooted it. It again remained stable, big surprise given the lack of robustness. I then did the CM7 thing and am getting used to it. Go ahead,update, you can always boot into stock NC (I just remembered how). I feel its good to have the option

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum