Should my nooks sync?

GaWd

Feb 18, 2011
Hello Everybody,

Shouldn't my nook classic and my nook color keep in sync with pageturns and bookmarks and whatnot? I thought that they would, and recall that the PC app synced with at least one of my nooks at one time.

GaWd

Feb 18, 2011
Hm. Ok.

Seems odd to have Nook hardware not sync, but PCs sync...

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I'm leaning towards CM7 on my NC and my Nook for reading.

It does work and has some nice features (page turn animation, text resizing, background, etc.) but it doesn't work as well as the Nook Color native app and has some issues like having to open, close and reopen to open a book. The CM7 advantages outweigh the issues with the B&N Android App for most people though.

GaWd

Feb 18, 2011
Thanks for the feedback.

I really don't want to keep wrestling with OTA updates that break my root, backup, and other settings. I've wasted so much time on it, and I really can't live without root, and refuse to pay for the same apps through BN's appstore that I can get for free in the Android marketplace.

I like the NC better as a tablet than a reader, personally, and I still love my Nook Classic as a reader. So it's cool with me.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Thanks for the feedback.

I really don't want to keep wrestling with OTA updates that break my root, backup, and other settings. I've wasted so much time on it, and I really can't live without root, and refuse to pay for the same apps through BN's appstore that I can get for free in the Android marketplace.

I like the NC better as a tablet than a reader, personally, and I still love my Nook Classic as a reader. So it's cool with me.

Same path many of us have followed. In that case go with a custom ROM like CM7. If you do just want to stay with B&N software on a Rooted Nook and not have to worry about OTA updates install ClockworkMod Recovery on the internal memory (this can be accomplished by flashing CWR through ROM Manager and then rebooting as soon as you boot back into the Nook). This should block OTAs. Check this link for details http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...m-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html.

GaWd

Feb 18, 2011
I have CWM. It's never stopped it, and I got an OTA 2 weeks ago and lost root. I regained root, but my market is hosed and nothing has fixed it-including installing APKs over wifi, etc.

So I'm looking to write over the stock ROM completely. I see your thread for SD Card booting CM7. I can't tell if there are ROM install instructions elsewhere.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I have CWM. It's never stopped it, and I got an OTA 2 weeks ago and lost root. I regained root, but my market is hosed and nothing has fixed it-including installing APKs over wifi, etc.

So I'm looking to write over the stock ROM completely. I see your thread for SD Card booting CM7. I can't tell if there are ROM install instructions elsewhere.

Very strange that ClockworkMod isn't blocking the OTA. Just to be clear there are two types of ClockworkMod that are commonly referenced and sometimes using interchangeable abbreviation. ClockworkMod ROM Manager (CWM in my abbreviations) is part of the autonooter and installs in the app drawer, this will not block updates. ClockworkMod Recovery (CWR in my abbreviations) is only accessible by booting into recovery after flashing from ROM Manger of from a bootable CWR card onto internal memory, this should block OTA.

As far as installing the CM7 ROM, there are no specific instructions here though they are on the CyogenMod site. If you do have CWR (as noted above) installed on internal memory then you do the following.

BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE BACK UP APP DATA USING TITANIUM BACK UP AND CREATE A NANDROID BACK UP USING CWR. Ask if you don't know how to make these back ups.
Download CM7 and Gapps zip files (links can be found in the bootable CM7 thread) and place the zip files on an SD card (plain old data SD is what you want).
Insert SD card into Nook, go to ROM manager and reboot into recovery.
Now you are in CWR, wipe /sytem and /data (if you don't understand this ask because they are in sub menus), clear cache partition and dalvik cache.
Flash CM7 zip file.
Flash Gapps zip file.
Select reboot.
Now you will boot into CM7. Follow the setup from #10 on in the bootable CM7 thread.

If you don't have CWR installed on the internal memory you can flash it from ROM Manager, it is important to to a regular reboot before booting into recovery then follow the steps above.

If you son't want to do that you can create a bootable CWR card which is it's own process but once created still follows the steps above. Lots of options.

GaWd

Feb 18, 2011
CWR is installed and the block OTA was checked. :confused:

No matter. As I said, I'm completely prepared to use it as a tablet with Nook app installed, and use my Classic as a reader.

Thanks for all your help.

GaWd

Feb 18, 2011
Installing CM7 using CWR ROm Manager is beyond easy. Download files, copy to SD, launch Nook Color/Rom Manager, or use bootable SD to launch into CWR to install .zip update.

GaWd

Feb 18, 2011
BTW, my Nook Classic synced to my Nook Color the day after I read it. Not sure how long it took. I never did get a message on my classic about being read on the Color, however.