Shutting down during sleep

soltner59

Apr 24, 2011
FYI it happens on my Viewsonic gTablet also. Sometimes when starting from sleep mode it does a full restart.

kennydjr83

Oct 31, 2011
I have the same "random shut down" issue with my Acer a500. Unlike other folks, I do find it very annoying. It happens about every other day. Tablet computers are supposed to be always on, and if I'm grabbing it for a quick web search or email check I expect it to be on when I grab it. If I wanted to wait for it to boot I'd just assume go to my PC. Anybody found any fixes? For me it didnt fix anything when I updated to the latest stock acer android rom, nor did it change anything trying a third party rom (taboonay was its name I think). Glad to see other folks out there with the same issue at least. I might CC this thread to Acer if I get around to contacting them.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I suggest you take an inventory of what you have running on the tablet, and see if you can narrow it down
to specific programs.

Less is better of course.
I tend to not run a lot of stuff that other people use, just because I don't watch a lot of movies
and refuse to join facebook. So all I really have is some mail accounts and rss aggregation (google reader)
and a SIP client running when the tablet is asleep.

Of course google talk, market, and google music app are always running.

I've never experienced this sort of thing, so I'm at a loss to suggest what else you can don.

kennydjr83

Oct 31, 2011
I suggest you take an inventory of what you have running on the tablet, and see if you can narrow it down
to specific programs.

Less is better of course.
I tend to not run a lot of stuff that other people use, just because I don't watch a lot of movies
and refuse to join facebook. So all I really have is some mail accounts and rss aggregation (google reader)
and a SIP client running when the tablet is asleep.

Of course google talk, market, and google music app are always running.

I've never experienced this sort of thing, so I'm at a loss to suggest what else you can don.

I think from what I have read in this thread more is actually better. It seems as though if you have more background services running the tablet is less likely to sleep, and therefore less likely to power down. I have yet to test this hypothesis but I plan to do so with my exchange email app. I can tell the app (touchdown) how often to poll for new mail. I suspect if I set it to do so sufficiently often it will solve the problem, though perhaps at the expense of battery life.

PS. I also refuse to use the Facebook. I hope you don't catch as much grief as I do for it!

redcloud

Aug 24, 2011
I just got my tablet in today and was wondering if we charge it with the power on or off? It just says to charge it for 4hrs in the quick guide but didn't know if it needed to stay powered off 1st for a full charge.

-Dariel

It should not matter if the unit is on or off, it will get a full charge either way.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I think from what I have read in this thread more is actually better. It seems as though if you have more background services running the tablet is less likely to sleep, and therefore less likely to power down. I have yet to test this hypothesis but I plan to do so with my exchange email app. I can tell the app (touchdown) how often to poll for new mail. I suspect if I set it to do so sufficiently often it will solve the problem, though perhaps at the expense of battery life.

You might be right about keeping it a little bit busy.

With Exchange, or Gmail, or any IMAP server that supports IDLED you should just leave your tablet's wifi disconnect policy to NEVER.
That way the tablet can watch those accounts with virtually zero power, and its not waking up to poll the servers every few minutes.

All of these servers support a form of Push that opens a socket on to the server, and tries to read it.
When mail is available, the socket will become readable, and the mail starts flowing without the tablet polling.
If mail does not arrive, the socket times out (12 to 18 minutes later) and the TCP stack re-establishes a new socket.

The thing is, the tablet can put the chip in an extremely low power state for those 18 minutes, and simply trigger a partial
wake when the socket needs refresh.

Note: You can see the effect of the sleep state with wifi disconnect never set on, by pinging the tablet from
another computer a minute after it has fallen asleep. Ping times will be really high, because the broadcom wifi chip is in a real
low power state. Tap the tablet to wake it up and the ping times drop to nothing.

PS. I also refuse to use the Facebook. I hope you don't catch as much grief as I do for it!

I used to, but even the sheep are starting to come to their senses.

Chasmanian

Aug 23, 2011
Hey all

I had my tab plugged in and recharging in the other room. I know it was on, because I heard a couple of notifications go off. But when I returned to the fully charged tablet, I first unplugged the cord from the unit, then touched the power button. Nothing. I had to long hold the button and do a complete startup.

Anyone have that issue with randomly shutting down during sleep while charging? This is the second time that's happened.

What I read on XDA forums works for non stock roms only afaik. In the file system/power/mode, there's a setting lp0, set that number to 2 and it won't die during sleep. Use a text editor like the one in root explorer or astro.

zhong

Oct 26, 2011
I find it charges more quickly and fully charging after you power off.
If you leave power on it takes longer time to charge.

I just got my tablet in today and was wondering if we charge it with the power on or off? It just says to charge it for 4hrs in the quick guide but didn't know if it needed to stay powered off 1st for a full charge.

-Dariel

biddison1

Feb 18, 2012
My Acer Incoia Tab A 200 shutt down recently ....after the screen turns off x.x it's getting really ANNOYYYYIIINNNNGGG!!! x. x

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
Mine stays on the Acer dock stand when not in use. Sometimes on with photos running and sometimes off during the night. Mine too has powered itself off during the night. Very aggravating. I just hope that when ICS comes out that problem will be gone because it never did this until 3.2.1 came out.