side loading ask

luzbug

Aug 5, 2011
hey

only had a android device for two days, so stupid question.

I've side loaded a few apps i've got from 'android freeware', by downloading the apk on my computer then moving it to my tablets (advent) sd card 'download' folder, once there i've navigated to the apk and installed through my file manager, everything went fine.. but my ask is ..

once the apk has been installed can i delete the apk in the download folder now?

thanks for your time.. sorry if it's a dumb question.

p.s have tried to search this question, but nothing really relevant came up, mostly about root users deleting system apk's by mistake.

Last edited:

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Yep, no problem, you can delete it.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
System apps are in /system/app and user installed apps are in /data/app.

luzbug

Aug 5, 2011
System apps are in /system/app and user installed apps are in /data/app.

thanks for that Tom, thought it probably might be the case. and with a tablet with only a 4gb sd card at the moment it's good news..

can i be cheeky and get a bonus question.

talking of 4gb sd cards if i get a bigger one is it a simple matter of pulling the old one out then 'copy and paste' the data to the new card through my computer, or do i need to use one of the back up applications available in android to keep the file structure?

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I just used copy/paste which has worked fine for me in the past. I'm not sure that it matters but I used the same file system (fat32) on both the old and new card.