Simple, cheap but reliable tablet for business use

Tyr0ne

May 10, 2013
Hi,
I am currently working on a draft for a business startup which I will probably launch in 1 year.
For calculating the costs involved I would need your help as I have no market overview.

The tablets will be installed in businesses to be used by the customers. They only need to run one very simplistic app: Press Start, enter your name, press okay, display a list and that's pretty much it. But the tablet will be running up to 10 hours a day with display on all the time. Display should be 8-12" and the tablet should be connectable to the internet by cable or wi-fi.
As I will be buying the devices, installing the app and then selling them, I am looking for relatively cheap devices, that operate smoothly, don't overheat, look and feel premium, are very reliable and last a couple of years.

The business will be based in central europe, if that is of relevance.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
It is a tough one, I assume you will be doing the warranty/maintenece of these devices since you are selling hardware as well as software. Also are you expecting 10 hour runtime on battery?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

Tyr0ne

May 10, 2013
Yeah, right! I'll undertake the warranty and maintenance!
No, the devices will be wired all day. No need to carry them around.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I doubt the ten hour every day is going to work on a cheap tablet, most likely tablet will die in a few months, I don't know the longevity of any tablet running 10 hours of display every day, no tablet that I have seen has been put to that test over a few years.

Tyr0ne

May 10, 2013
That's absolutely true. But all these ticket vendors, ATMs, etc have their screens running all day round as well. I could imagine that something similar should be possible in a tablet as well...

Also to go easy on the devices I could install a screensaver or let the screen turn completely off in order to be waked up by clients touching it.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
That's absolutely true. But all these ticket vendors, ATMs, etc have their screens running all day round as well. I could imagine that something similar should be possible in a tablet as well...

Also to go easy on the devices I could install a screensaver or let the screen turn completely off in order to be waked up by clients touching it.

I doubt those are cheap devices, those devices are specifically designed to run 24/7 a tablet isn't, a cheap tablet is designed to run up to 5 hours, even then I doubt it could handle 5 full hours every day.

I guess it's also what you consider cheap, 10 hours tablet are in the above $200 range, You may consider that cheap I don't know, to me cheap is less than $100 I doubt you will find a 10 hour tablet in the less than $100 group.

You could google tablets with the best battery life, this will let you see what tablets are even hitting the 10 hour mark and the price range of these tablets.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-20080768-251/cnet-tablet-battery-life-results/

Last edited:

Tyr0ne

May 10, 2013
Well, cheap is relative for me. The more expensive the tablets are the more expensive will I sell the final product. Nevertheless I am looking for the cheapest option for my purposes.

And battery life is irrelevant as the devices are wired all day.