Simple, no frills, cheap, and reliable tablet?

scl23enn4m3

Sep 5, 2011
Hey everyone, I was going to post this is the sticky regarding finding the right tablet but it seems pretty dead, and I'm kind of a time contraint. So I hope no one minds providing me with their advice.

I decided to use an Android tablet to control my media center since they are relatively cheap...based on that, you already know cost is an issue. My only requirements in a tablet are wifi, a capacitive display, and doesn't break down on me. I intend to lighten up the software as much as possible and run a single app. I don't want a camera, bluetooth, awesome processor, excessive memory, microSD slot, HDMI out, and all the other things that make a tablet more useful. Form factor can play a role since it's going to be seating on my couch all day...it needs to at least look good. Any suggestions? TIA.

scl23enn4m3

Sep 5, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions both of you! I'm going to check the prices and specs on both of those .

scl23enn4m3

Sep 5, 2011
Damn, that Vizio piece is way out of my price range. And it looks like the Eken has a resistive screen? :(

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
The Galaxy Tab 7" is going for about $270 now and it is rock solid as far as reliability, and its built quality, with gorilla glass, makes it a tablet to consider,

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Thinking about it, if screen size isnt a huge issue Archos makes a tablet with a 4.2" screen that might just fit the bill, and $150 price tag might work.

scl23enn4m3

Sep 5, 2011
Thanks for the reply Tom. I already wrote the Tab off due to the price. I'm familiar with all the main stream tablet options. I just have no idea where to start when it comes to the lesser known models. There seems to be a new one coming out everyday, just flooding the market. Archos is definitely an option. I was actually following an Archos 70 on ebay a few days ago. I might end up just going with them since they are a company based in the US. Thanks for your suggestion!

pschatzy

Sep 2, 2011
Thanks for the reply Tom. I already wrote the Tab off due to the price. I'm familiar with all the main stream tablet options. I just have no idea where to start when it comes to the lesser known models. There seems to be a new one coming out everyday, just flooding the market. Archos is definitely an option. I was actually following an Archos 70 on ebay a few days ago. I might end up just going with them since they are a company based in the US. Thanks for your suggestion!

I suggest that you simply go to ebay and buy a used android phone running froyo or better. Do not bother with a sim card.

JArmandB

Jul 13, 2011
Check out the Coby 7022. For less than $200 with a capacitive screen, you can't go wrong.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011

Hadn't really thought of the Archos 70, but the price has seriously dropped. My first tablet was the Archos 5IT and I still have it and it is going strong. To this day I doubt there is a better media tablet than Archos makes. I believe, though, that Archos is actually a company based in France, not that that should be a problem.

Jv90

Apr 23, 2011
just try the sylvania Sytabex7, thats the one tab that you'll need, and its cheap $99

Sent from my Sytabex7 Tablet using android forum

scl23enn4m3

Sep 5, 2011
I suggest that you simply go to ebay and buy a used android phone running froyo or better. Do not bother with a sim card.

That though did cross my mind, but in that case the only phone that would really make sense is the Dell Streak 7...maybe the 5. We have a few HTC Evos around the house, and the though they have a large screen, it's still not comfortable to use as a remote, which is what I want it for.

Check out the Coby 7022. For less than $200 with a capacitive screen, you can't go wrong.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm researching that right now.

Hadn't really thought of the Archos 70, but the price has seriously dropped. My first tablet was the Archos 5IT and I still have it and it is going strong. To this day I doubt there is a better media tablet than Archos makes. I believe, though, that Archos is actually a company based in France, not that that should be a problem.

France/US...same difference :p. Either way, I know I can call them and get support without an issue. I'm actually currently looking at the Wopad, an Archos tab, and this Renesas someone on another forum suggested. I still have to look into that Coby from above though.

just try the sylvania Sytabex7, thats the one tab that you'll need, and its cheap $99

Sent from my Sytabex7 Tablet using android forum

Cheap is nice, but the screen is resistive. I need something that's finger friendly. Thanks for the reply though!