Simply AMAZED!!!

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Do you get the real internet on NC or a text version? Also does it have a camera to video chat? What does it cost? For $200 I got this a much much more (3D gaming etc that's why folks buy clones.
I think I'll join in the NookColor love-fest and add:

For $100 or $200 I can buy a no-name POS (oops, I probably mean POJ) that might last a year. I can't believe all the doubt and uncertainty and nail-biting I've seen on our generic tablet forum: "Is the merchant reliable?" "It's been 6 weeks and it still hasn't arrived!" "Can it be hacked?" "Why doesn't my wifi/touchscreen/Flash/sdcard/etc work correctly?"

When I was 20 I looked for every shortcut I could find, and tried to save every penny I could. Now that I'm...ahem...a little older I appreciate spending a few more pennies for reliability, or at least getting 2 years out of a device instead of 1. ;)

I'm glad the cheaper no-name tablets are available, so that there are a wide range of options. To each their own. But no point in trying to sell anyone else on your own particular needs or feature-set.

(I say most of this tongue-in-cheek. Or at least recognizing the irony--if not my own hypocrisy. Out of the corner of my eye I'm watching the developments in Asus tabs...wondering how the playing field will look in a few weeks. Still the NC is a steal for $250 given the hardware it offers!)

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
any idears on how to download apps to this thing
Hi pauline. :) You're about to get lots of good advice (several good members on this forum), but I'm wondering if you have one yet, and whether you have any experience modifying an Android device? If you're a total beginner, the answer to your question is: first you'll need to "root" your NookColor which means you'll download a file, put it on your sdcard, and start up the Nook with your card inside. A few minutes later you'll be a few steps away from a working Android Market, or you can install them yourself manually.

On the other hand, if you have some experience, start here and it's all laid out for you:

NookColor Rooting - nookDevs

Good luck! ;)

-Matt

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
yes after playing with an Haipad and a disastrous encounter with a 8 inch A8, i took the plunge and bought a brand new NC off someone from Craigslist who got it as a xmas present but did not know its true value, took it home for $200, and rooted in in 15 minutes flat. Incidentally in the same craigslist thread, someone was offering to root the NC for only $25. all i can say is WOW - installed my fave apps - lcd density, pulse, android task manager, astro file manager

next step is playing with video playback

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
OK I know this is over the top but I was trolling this morning (or do I mean trawling?) over at slatedroid, and saw a post I thought echoed sentiments here. Definitely counts as gloating. :cool:

New Owner - Color Nook

After becoming frustrated with my irobot apad, that I paid a couple hundred for when they first came out. I starting looking for a new tablet (all the galaxy commercials didn't help), and narrowed it down to the Pandigital novel 9" that i could have gotten from bb&b for $170 after coupons & mail in rebate, & the CN for $250. What sold me on the CN was the gorgeous screen, & xda development support. So yesterday i went to my local B&N store expecting them not to have any available. But to my surprise they had atleast 10-15 behind the counter, within an hour I had it rooted with a adw launcher, live wallpaper, & full access to the android market. Let me say compared to the Ipad or galaxy this thing is a steal. If you don't need a camera or gps I would be hard pressed to come up with a reason why you would buy anything else. If my original Apad was half as fast & had half the quality of the CN I wouldn't even have been interested in looking for a new tablet. If you are wondering about how fast the CN is, search. "Rooted Color Nook. Vs galaxy tab". :)
-Matt