site that compairs ebook prices

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Very cool...

(Edit)
So I was searching some books I want on there, and I found that some of the sites linked on there are 20-30% more expensive than I could purchase a new Hard Cover copy.

Example:
Gauntlgrym: Neverwinter, Book I by R. A. Salvatore on Amazon
Kindle Edition: $9.78
Hard Cover: $15.72

While over on ereadable.com
Epub version: $20.96

I just thought it outlandishly funny that they would charge so much more on ereadable.com

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Cool site. Thanks.

If one thing is keeping me from buying more ebooks it is that ebooks cost as much as the real books or at least too close to them to entice me. It is just unaccpetable to me for something that has no physical cost to the publisher or the retailer for shipping storing etc. to have that sort of pricing. I can get a real book from B&N for $14.28 or the ebook for $14.99?! (Don't Blink by James Patterson used as an example since it was a default free book on the Nook to try and hook people.)

These guys seriously need to wake up and look at the botched job the music business did before they create a culture of piracy for books as happened with songs.

bugeyed

Jul 26, 2010
I don't understand why so many people think we are getting ripped off by the price of eBooks! There is cost to the retailer involved. I have no idea how much, but there is a cost involved, but the main thing is that most product's prices are not wholly based on the cost to the retailer. There is an intrinsic VALUE to eBooks that must be considered. IMO Most people don't buy ebooks because they have a reader, they buy a reader so they can read ebooks. Ebooks have a lot going for them & that carries a value. For the convenience they afford, it is conceivable that ebooks could be "worth" more that DTBooks. I would like to see the price go down, but I am also happy to pay the going rate to get a book in front of me in seconds.
P.S. I should qualify the statement about people's buying habits. Many of us love the idea of needing a cool product like a Nook Color to read eBooks, so one justifies the other & we gadget lovers can be happy & very possibly well read.

Cheers,
kev

Last edited:

thel8elvis

Dec 29, 2010
I don't understand why so many people think we are getting ripped off by the price of eBooks! There is cost to the retailer involved.
I assume since there is no physical product, no shipping costs, etc. , any reasonable person would assume the price would be less than for a physical copy.
I have found many ebooks to often be quite comparable in price to actual books.

I think this quite easily translates into "overpriced" in my and many other people minds.

I have no idea how much, but there is a cost involved, but the main thing is that most product's prices are not wholly based on the cost to the retailer. There is an intrinsic VALUE to eBooks that must be considered. IMO Most people don't buy ebooks because they have a reader, they buy a reader so they can read ebooks. Ebooks have a lot going for them & that carries a value. For the convenience they afford, it is conceivable that ebooks could be "worth" more that DTBooks.

The "intrinsic" value .... hmmm. I can only read my ebook on certain devices. I can't sell it. I can't buy it used. I don't know ... in my mind, that makes it worth quite a bit less, intrinsically.

I would like to see the price go down, but I am also happy to pay the going rate to get a book in front of me in seconds.
P.S. I should qualify the statement about people's buying habits. Many of us love the idea of needing a cool product like a Nook Color to read eBooks, so one justifies the other & we gadget lovers can be happy & very possibly well read.

Cheers,
kev

Once publishers come to grips with reality, and start offering non-drm'ed epubs, and start opening up their back catalogs at reasonable price ... then they'll have something. :)

bugeyed

Jul 26, 2010
I assume since there is no physical product, no shipping costs, etc. , any reasonable person would assume the price would be less than for a physical copy.
I have found many ebooks to often be quite comparable in price to actual books.

I think this quite easily translates into "overpriced" in my and many other people minds.

The "intrinsic" value .... hmmm. I can only read my ebook on certain devices. I can't sell it. I can't buy it used. I don't know ... in my mind, that makes it worth quite a bit less, intrinsically.

Once publishers come to grips with reality, and start offering non-drm'ed epubs, and start opening up their back catalogs at reasonable price ... then they'll have something. :)

The intrinsic value I am referring to are the features of ebooks. Ability to change font size, different screen colors, search, dictionary etc. Even if you don't use any of these functions, they are available & are enhancements to the reading experience. These features along with portability & ability to carry most of your books with you has to count for something.
These features may not directly contribute to publishers cost of a book, but they certainly add to the value. IMO
I find myself reading more now, but I can't ignore the parallel with my buying/listening experience with MP3s. I am into high-end audio & rebelled against MP3s until I accepted their "value", for what it is. MP3s have not replaced my main music source, but they have a place in my music listening experience. The reduced audio quality is what keeps MP3s from replacing my CDs, so I guess there is a similar case to be made for eBooks vs DTBs. It's all about what's important to you.
Cheers,
kev

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Well said thel8elvis. The core of my statement is that even the preception that the customer is being gouged is enough to drive them to seek alternative sources of content. On top of that locked formatting is as silly as making real books out of speacialized ink that can only be read by wearing special glasses produced by the book store you bought the book from. Yes, I understand the competitive advangtage that these companies are seeking but in the end they may lose more sales than not if they are too restrictive.

It has already happened and there are lessons to be learned. As it is how many ways are discussed in this forum about which apps allow you to convert and read files independent of source or format? Opening up formats and reasonable pricing should ultimately lead to a better more legitimate market for the consumer. Which in turn would go a long way to convince me of the value of ebooks.