Skype on A500?

LTCSZ

Jun 6, 2011
Has anyone gotten the Skype app to work on the A500?
Every time I try to make a call, it reboots the tablet.
Or, does anyone have a good alternative video chat program that will work on the A500?
Thanks...

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
Has anyone gotten the Skype app to work on the A500?
Every time I try to make a call, it reboots the tablet.
Or, does anyone have a good alternative video chat program that will work on the A500?
Thanks...

I bought the A500 almost 2 months ago and one of the first things I put on it was Skype. And while I was initially able to get it to work with the voice test, anything else I did with it caused it to crash or reboot the A500. I repeatedly un-installed and re-installed but to no avail. So I ultimately gave up and left it un-installed.

A friend of mine told me that Skype does NOT work very well on any Android platforms. It was not critical for me to have Skype on the A500, but it would have been nice. Now that Microsoft is buying Skype, maybe they will make it work better on all platforms. Of course MS is a direct competitor to anything Google, so MS owning Skype may actuall make matters even worse!!

Gerry

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
Google Talk ( already on your tablet) and Yahoo Messenger are two. Also, I received an email from Qik that Skype bought them. They work great on my Evo; you might want to download and try it on your tablet. It's also compatible with Apple's chat program, so you can chat criss platform. I haven't tried it yet because I use Talk, but is worth checking out.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Yes I have it, and have used it for voice both with and without a headset.

It works fine. Just don't lay the tablet flat on the desk. (It confuses the noise canceling mic)
Hold it in about a foot away, no need to shout.

Sound quality was excellent.
No Video capability yet.

Also download "Stop Skype" from the market, because Skype itself has no ability to exit, and you have to use settings to kill it off. Stop Skupe makes that easier.

Lots better solutions than Skype exist for Android customers, as pointed out in the above posts.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Microsoft, who now owns skype released some test builds for Android that had video enabled. These had been leaked before.
I suspect Microsoft told the developers to release what they had that was even partially working for any platform it would run on.
Sadly, that is not Honeycomb yet

See this article: Skype brings UI update for all, video calling for a few | Android Central

Personally I'g glad MS bought Skype. They can't screw it up any worse than Skype was doing all by themselves.

The only reason I'd ever use skype instead of Google Talk is when talking to iPhone clingers.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
WARNING:

The latest skype badly misbehaves on Honeycomb. It jumps into memory every time you boot even without launch by default settings. There is no way around this. (Other than uninstall, which is what I did).
It offers no video either, so there is no reason to upgrade.

shotokan

Jul 4, 2011
WARNING:

The latest skype badly misbehaves on Honeycomb. It jumps into memory every time you boot even without launch by default settings. There is no way around this. (Other than uninstall, which is what I did).
It offers no video either, so there is no reason to upgrade.

this is true! once you switch on your tab, it will automatically sign-in your skype without knowing. you will just notice skype icon on the taskbar area...