Skype on Coby Kyros MID7024 How to??

marilia

Apr 19, 2011
Ok, I was looking for some solution on internet and found this forum: Does Fring/Skype app work ? - SlateDroid.com

I tried on my Coby Kyros 7024 and it worked!!! (I didnt try to make calls yet, but at least it connects, but it can't make video call).

So, what I did...
1) I had installed android market on my tablet following these instructions... using z4root and root explorer

2) I downloaded the latest version of skype on freewarelovers.com and installed it on my tablet (dont open the programa after installing)

3) Then I went to root explorer, find the folder "system" and the file "build.prop"

4) I opened the build.prop on text editor and found the line (is one of the last lines): ro.kernel.android.checkjni=1

5) I edit this line to: ro.kernel.android.checkjni=0

6) Save the file and closes

7) Restart the tablet

8) Now tried to connect to skype and it works!!! But it doesn't have video option

Tell me if it worked for you too!!

sicvolo

May 28, 2011
@marilla Worked like a charm! How'd find out about the checkjni thingy?

The mic (it is next to the camera, on the top edge), the headphones and the speakers all work.

The only thing I am missing is Video and I do not see why. Is this the limitations of this particular version or the hw incompatibility?

marilia

Apr 19, 2011
I am glad it worked for you too! I found about it on the link i mentioned above. There are no skype video for android, only for 1 device, thunderbolt. If you make a quick search on google you can confirm that. I hope they release a version with video support tor other tablets models.

Sent from my MID7024 using Android Tablet Forum

jabby

Apr 22, 2011
Ok, I was looking for some solution on internet and found this forum: Does Fring/Skype app work ? - SlateDroid.com

I tried on my Coby Kyros 7024 and it worked!!! (I didnt try to make calls yet, but at least it connects, but it can't make video call).

So, what I did...

3) Then I went to root explorer, find the folder "system" and the file "build.prop"

4) I opened the build.prop on text editor and found the line (is one of the last lines): ro.kernel.android.checkjni=1

5) I edit this line to: ro.kernel.android.checkjni=0

Tell me if it worked for you too!!

Try ES File Explorer to do the same thing for those that don't want to root.

Regards - John

Last edited:

drpelpi

May 30, 2011
Hi everybody! I received my kyros 7024 today. I was able to install the market, gmail, gtalk, flash and other apps with some difficulty but now they work ( i didnt find the way of installing youtube though). I was very interested in running skype and was following the topic. I was able with the modifications mentioned before of signing in and even call someone, but strangely i could only talk for 10 seconds, no less no more, at 10 seconds the sound stop eventhough the call continue. I was wondering if anyone has the same problem and if there could be a solution for this. Thanks in advance

drpelpi

May 30, 2011
Well i found a partial solution but effective about the 10 sec mute mistery in skype, is simple as connect the earphones and you all set. The problem is only with the speakers on. Now skype fully works without any problems. Hope this help someone.

girlperson1

May 21, 2011
@ Marilia: I followed your instructions and it works with a few caveats along the way. I ended up having to download z4root from the Amazon.com app store as well as root explorer. The other versions I tried just couldn't get root access. Also, I have found that Skype now works on my 7024 BUT I have to use earphones or earbuds in order to hear, as another member of this forum noted. I'm perfectly happy using an earpiece or headphones. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU, and did I mention THANK YOU!!....

jmagrann

Jun 18, 2011
Try ES File Explorer to do the same thing for those that don't want to root.

Regards - John

Greetings,

(MID7024, not rooted)

I was able to successfully install Marketplace, and Skype, but when I tried to save the build.prop checkini from '1' to '0', I receive an error while trying to save.

Do I need to be rooted to save this file?

Thanks!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Update: Success!

I ran into problems editing/saving the build.prop file using ES Explorer as noted above. I downloaded and ran z4root, using first Temporary and Permanent Root with the same result. ES Explorer was unable to save, getting an "Error occurred when trying to save the file. Close any way?"

I then downloaded and used Root Explorer ($3.99 from Amazon Marketplace), which was able to complete the edit, and save the file (even automatically creating a backup).

Skype now works, without video as previously noted.

Because of the steps I followed, I'm not sure if rooting was necessary. I went back and verified that ES Explorer is still unable to save the file using ES Note Editor.

Last edited:

scrubjay

Jun 9, 2011
I had the same problem as jmagrann when I tried to edit the build.prop file, got the "Error occurred when trying to save the file. Close any way?" message. I am completely new to android so I don't want to root my device, ( wouldn't know how to anyway), so has anyone manage to edit the file using root explorer only without rooting the device.
Thanks!

IndiGenus

Apr 7, 2011
I had the same problem as jmagrann when I tried to edit the build.prop file, got the "Error occurred when trying to save the file. Close any way?" message. I am completely new to android so I don't want to root my device, ( wouldn't know how to anyway), so has anyone manage to edit the file using root explorer only without rooting the device.
Thanks!
No root here as I'm new and in the same boat as you. Did get it to work though but be careful as I had issues with the way I did it.

Disclaimer: Do not blame me if this doesn't work for you...

I copied build.prop over to my PC and edited it there, then saved. Then I copied it back to the Android, but it said there was an error on the copy. So I was just going to give up at this point but as I was looking through the system folder I noticed build.prop was GONE! (what this would do to the device booting and such I have no idea as I didn't reboot thankfully). After taking a deep breath and thinking about it, I tried the copy/paste again and this time it went through, and copied the edited file into the system folder. whew

Now skype works! Boy, we really shouldn't have to be rooting and editing system files to get a totally mainstream app to work on this thing. But thanks everyone for the input.

I also downloaded and installed root explorer but it was not able to edit the build.prop file either. I assume because I don't have root?

raj

Mar 23, 2011
No root here as I'm new and in the same boat as you. Did get it to work though but be careful as I had issues with the way I did it.

Disclaimer: Do not blame me if this doesn't work for you...

I copied build.prop over to my PC and edited it there, then saved. Then I copied it back to the Android, but it said there was an error on the copy. So I was just going to give up at this point but as I was looking through the system folder I noticed build.prop was GONE! (what this would do to the device booting and such I have no idea as I didn't reboot thankfully). After taking a deep breath and thinking about it, I tried the copy/paste again and this time it went through, and copied the edited file into the system folder. whew

Now skype works! Boy, we really shouldn't have to be rooting and editing system files to get a totally mainstream app to work on this thing. But thanks everyone for the input.

I also downloaded and installed root explorer but it was not able to edit the build.prop file either. I assume because I don't have root?

do you mean skype works with video?

scrubjay

Jun 9, 2011
IndiGenus, I got skype to work by running z4root then Root explorer. I got help from a reviewer of z4root on Amazon. I'm pretty sure I didn't root the device, but after running z4root I was able to edit the file with root explorer. Raj, from other posts here, you can't make a skype video call on an android device. Thanks to everyone on the forum for their help.

IndiGenus

Apr 7, 2011
IndiGenus, I got skype to work by running z4root then Root explorer. I got help from a reviewer of z4root on Amazon. I'm pretty sure I didn't root the device, but after running z4root I was able to edit the file with root explorer. Raj, from other posts here, you can't make a skype video call on an android device. Thanks to everyone on the forum for their help.
Yup confirm no video chat on this thing. I've tried a couple others (fring, oovoo) and still no luck. I imagine at some point something will work...:confused: