Skype Video Call: Where are we exactly?

rubeninfl

Nov 5, 2011
I downloaded skype app completely expecting the video call to not work and sure enough, my video was dark and sideways (landscape). I really wasn't able to find any information about an update to skype that would allow video calls to work on our tablet. Does anyone know if there are any plans to come up with one or are we just stuck? I know that ooVoo works, but I spent so much time trying to get all my friends and family on Skype.....I don't know if I can get them all to switch to ooVoo.

imhumanoid

Nov 5, 2011
I did the same thing, downloaded it expecting it not to work.

Well I find the sideways video thing kind humerus cause it gets me some pretty funny comments.

I do wish the skype thing would get fixed, because I use skype on my tablet more than I do my computer. I get better call quality and the mic on both ends is clearer. Thet connection is so much better than on my computer.

The dark video thing, all I have found out for that is to go outside where there is bright light. :/

bkaler

Oct 13, 2011
What should work is to hold the tablet upside down. I know that is a bit silly, but it's really not a big deal at all either also. No idea to fix the dark video other than make sure you have lots of light, that's kind of a common problem with webcams however.

vxBRIANxv

Dec 4, 2011
I've been searching threads in Skype Community, nothing yet on this issue, wroks great, just.. sideways. I tried flipping the tablet all 4 ways and still had either upside down or sideways

JoelWUpchurch

Nov 30, 2011
I had a friend over tonight with her vtab. I told her about the orientation problem. I installed Skype on her vtab and we started a session and I was shocked to discover when I rotated the screen to portrait we were correctly oriented to each other. Apparently two wrongs do make a right. :) This is handy since she is giving her daughter a vtab for Christmas.

chicobiker

Nov 10, 2011
Just tried the new skype that came out yesterday (2.6 I think) and still have to turn tablet upside down to look right on my wife's computer.

Klingercrazy

Dec 7, 2011
I was told that skype is aware of the problem and are working to fix it.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

BarryD9545

Nov 24, 2011
Just got the Skype update, and a new feature allows rotating the video all the way around so the video is right side up.

It's an option from the video button during a call, and then remembers the orientation.

Sure, I'd rather see the adjustment in a earlier setup screen, but I'll take it where I can get it!!
:D
Yay Skype!!!

Sent from my VTAB1008

BPisMe

Nov 16, 2011
I just loaded the latest version of Skype on my VTAB...released 3 days ago ... version 2.9.0.95. I do not see the option to rotate my outgoing picture. I looked while on a video call. The Camera button only showed the options for "Front Camera" and "Turn off Video". Could you provide a little more detail.

Thanks...Brad

eracer

Nov 20, 2011
It works, but you can only rotate the camera BEFORE the other party answers the call..... Once the video call is connected, the option goes away. Silly, but there you have it. Works in both orientations.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

BPisMe

Nov 16, 2011
I just tried...no go. I selected call with video. Then while it was still ringing, I pressed the camera button. Nothing happened...as if I did not press the button.

I tried it a few times. Same deal each time.

Hmmm...