Skype videocall working on S7!

imploder

Aug 5, 2011
Hi everybody,

I'm happy to let you know that I tried the last version of Skype with videocall and it's working perfect with front camera, at least over Wi-Fi.

To make it work, select your secondary cam as main camera from settings, update to the latest Skype build, enable videocalls from Skype settings menu and there you go!

I'm on official Sweden 2.2.2 ROM on a S7 BB 104 rooted. Now we are talking!:)

miked

Jul 31, 2011
I am happy to hear that it is working for you. I have the S7 BB 104 2.2 ROM also (not rooted); downloaded this version of Skype, enabled video, set the camera, but as soon as I try to start a video call I get this message: "Sorry, The application Skype (process com.skype.raider) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.)"
At this point all I can do is hit the "Force Close" button, and it's over.
I would appreciate any ideas how to overcome this issue. Thanks.

imploder

Aug 5, 2011
Did you try with a real Skype user? don't bother with test user as it happened the same to me.

miked

Jul 31, 2011
How can I tell if I am logged on as a test user? I have been using Skype for years now and I logged in with my credentials as always.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

miked

Jul 31, 2011
Tried, still the same error. Uninstalled and re-installed Skype and it still does not work. I guess I just wait for an update.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

miker49er

Feb 23, 2011
Just gave it a quick try. It crashes if I try to make a video call. If I make a voice call and connect, then press the camera button, the video seems to work fine. I have to hold the S7 horizontally (landscape). If I hold it vertically the software's not smart enough to rotate the image.

I have a BB 104 with plain Indonesian Froyo.

miked

Jul 31, 2011
I'll try it, but I must say this version is not ready for prime time. Supposedly only the back camera works with this version. Are they (Skype) serious?? We supposed to make calls in front of the mirror? :)

miker49er

Feb 23, 2011
The front camera works with Skype. Just set that to be the primary camera in the tablet settings.

NevadaDave

Mar 2, 2011
I have an S7 with the Brazilian 2.2 ROM. The latest Skype seems to work OK on calls to a landline phone, but if I try to initiate either a voice-only or video call to another Skype-running computer, it crashes every time as described above. However, if the other user originates the call, then I can connect OK. I have to set the system to use the front camera beforehand, and the video always comes up with the caller in the small window, and me in the large, but if you double-tap the small window, the video windows will swap. I had a nice video chat with my wife while in China, and although the quality was poor ( a lot of delay and pixellation, and my outgoing audio level was very low) it was definitely usable. If I could get the call origination crash thing figured out, it would be even better. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to be able to try other ROMs right now (I'm in a hotel in China) but maybe one of the other 2.2 loads would be more stable/usable.

NevadaDave

Mar 2, 2011
BTW, does anyone know of a way to modify the microphone level, either in Skype or in another settings area? I have been completely unable to find anything that affects this.

miker49er

Feb 23, 2011
BTW, does anyone know of a way to modify the microphone level, either in Skype or in another settings area? I have been completely unable to find anything that affects this.

There was a suggestion of some software to deal with this in one of the threads right after the Indonesian 2.2 came out, but it looked like a lot of fiddling around and I didn't try it. It's a darn nuisance, though, not having all the mic volume it used to have. I googled around for other solutions but didn't come up with anything.