Sleep: display comes back on, subdued

K9CHP

Aug 3, 2011
I have my tablet set to go to sleep after 2 minutes of inactivity. Now it started waking up but the display is subdued, dim till I touch it, then it goes on as per setting (tried both a fixed setting and auto). I am not using a password. The display being on, even subdued, is just wasting battery. Can that be fixed somehow? It also is happening when on the charger.

Thanks.

Amir K9CHP Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
You may want to eliminate apps you have installed as being the cause of the symptom.

Based on the description you have provided, it's not clear whether the tablet ever goes completely into sleep mode, or merely dims the screen as part of the sleep sequence. There may be a misbehaving app blocking the sleep sequence just after the screen fade.

K9CHP

Aug 3, 2011
The tablet seems to go to sleep, screen is off, but comes back on after a few minutes, whether on the charger or by itself, but then the screen is in a subdued mode, visible but not very bright, much less than my chosen setting. I have to unlock the tablet to use it, so it appears to be sleeping, with that subdued display on.
I tried a task manager, just to see if it might shut down a bad app, no luck. I uninstalled that and a few other apps I did not need. No luck so far.

Amir K9CHP Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
Your best option may be to run the Factory data reset, and turn off the Google backup/restore option when the tablet first boots up during the setup process. Then test the tablet before installing anything to determine if the tablet runs correctly without any apps. If it does, then install your apps gradually to help determine the offending app.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Normally that is caused by an app. Finding the app is the trick. You could install CPU Spy to see whats happening in the background when it should be sleeping. If it's a widget that's doing it installing an app called Auto Airplane Mode, (by DON) may solve the problem but finding the app at fault would be better in the long run.

K9CHP

Aug 3, 2011
Ok, I tried the apps mentioned by leeshor, but they did not solve the problem. I ended up by Don a full factory reset. That did cure the subdued sleep problem. It did not cure the display problem with tablet remaining in landscape mode after reset. I had to turn it completely off for a long while before restarting. It is ok for now.

Thanks for the help. I wish I could tell what app was at fault. I know it was not a widget, as I took all of them off before the reset and still had the subdued display problem. I´ll let you know if I ever find the culprit, and i´ll let its author know too.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
There is a long and hard process for finding the offending app. However, even if you have the apps installed again, getting the system cleaned out may have been the solution.

Last edited:

K9CHP

Aug 3, 2011
We'll, I have not reinstalled all the apps I had, so many were cute, but seldom or never used, so I'm a lot more conservative now.