Sleep mode on Nook Tablet - not working?

NewTabUser

Nov 22, 2011
The sleep mode on my daughter's NT was working up until this past weekend... when it was working, you'd hit the power button for about 1-2 secs, and the screen would go blank into sleep mode (not turned off), and you'd have to hit the Nook button to get back to the password prompt. Now, when we hit the power button for 1-2 secs, the screen would go blank, but then the password keypad would pop right back up after about 5 secs and stay on. Sleep mode does not seem to be functional anymore.

We've played with the settings (power-save, screen display goes off after 2 mins which is the minimum), with no results. My theories, next steps:??

- I am wondering if this coincidentally happened after I installed the GO LAUNCHER and started to d/l from the Amazon apps store? Could've this changed anything?
- I was thinking of looking up how to reset the NT back to factory default... but what happens to a couple of games she d/l and paid for from B&N?
- I've read here how B&N is offering tech support in their stores? I'll consider bringing it in this by the weekend if I can't get it fixed.
- Could there have been an update patch that needs to be d/l?
- Lastly, if we do nothing about this, she just needs to totally power down her NT which is not the end of the world. But, she's barely had it for 2 weeks, so we'd rather have the unit functioning as good as new as it should.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Try making sure the power button isn't sticking. It sounds like it thinks it is getting pressed twice. A quick press should also be sufficient, you shouldn't have to hold the button for 1-2 seconds, just pres it and release it. You may want to hold it for several seconds though to power down and reboot. It may fix the issue.

It sounds like you have side loaded Go Launcher but not rooted your Nook. Is this correct? Go Launcher could possibly have a conflicting setting with the Nook power settings. Make sure you access the Go Launcher settings as well as the Nook settings and see if the time out/screen lock match up.

You do not lose things you have purchased if you factory reset. Just like most things these days you have an account in the cloud and your games/books/media are stored in your B&N account. If you wipe the device you can get your purchased content back from B&N by downloading it again.

Try jiggling the power button first to make sure it isn't sticking (possibly getting under the edge and gently pulling it out a little), then try rebooting next, finally check the Go Launcher settings. I wouldn't jump to a factory reset for a minor issue like this until you are sure you can't get it working correctly with simple fixes. That would be like purifying an entire lake when you just want a glass of water.

JP

NewTabUser

Nov 22, 2011
Yes, it's installed with GO LAUNCHER, non-rooted. We've played with lightly touching the power button etc., and I'll try your suggestions... so I think my likely next step is looking into settings with GO LAUNCHER, which I took a quick look last nite and could not find. Before I pull out my hair tonite and post 8-9 hrs from now at home... where do I find those settings?
Thanks again.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I don't have the Nook Tablet so I am guessing a little bit here. When you are in Go Launcher and touch the menu button does it take you to Go Launcher settings or Nook settings? I know you may have to sort of do an end around on the Nook Tablet to access some of the Android menus because they are not available in the stock Nook software.

NewTabUser

Nov 22, 2011
I don't have the Nook Tablet so I am guessing a little bit here. When you are in Go Launcher and touch the menu button does it take you to Go Launcher settings or Nook settings? I know you may have to sort of do an end around on the Nook Tablet to access some of the Android menus because they are not available in the stock Nook software.

Being an Android newbie... I really felt like I was doing an "end around" as I somehow did find a different settings menu than the standard NT settings (honestly, I dunno if I'd be able to find that menu agaun!). But that wasn't the solution. I eventually noticed that my daughter had a screensaver app loaded... and long story short, I just deleted it and the sleep mode was back to normal... WHEW! There's nothing like a teen's reaction when dad can show his way around the technology... LOL!

On a side note... I found out how useful the go-launcher apps screen is very useful where it can show you all the apps that are currently running. That's when I noticed her screensaver app was always turning on. Then what I found annoying was how certain apps tend to turn back on.... such as Contacts, even after I close them from that menu.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I'm glad you figured it out! Yes, the regular Android settings menus are quite useful. Too bad you have to dig a little on the NT to find them.

It sounds like you may be ready to try rooting next :) It can allow things like letting Go Launcher (or another launch of your choosing) be the default launcher so when you press the n button it takes you back to that home by default and also to access the standard Android menus. You may be able to set your default home without rooting but I'm not 100% sure. Standard home launchers do make getting to your apps much easier and you can do things like create widgets and add app shortcuts to the screens.

I wouldn't worry too much about apps running. Gingerbread has a pretty good task manager and will keep the resources free. On occasion you may have a runaway or rouge app causing problems, like the screen saver, and you will need to go in and manually kill it from that Applications menu. Mostly though just let the system do its thing.

JP