Sleepy A500

hira

Jul 26, 2011
Occasionally my tablet will not wake up and I have to hold the power button down for ~10 seconds, release it, and then hold it down again until it vibes and then boots from cold. Any ideas?

TIA

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

hira

Jul 26, 2011
If there's a chance it's a rouge app making it crash while it's sleeping, how would I go about figuring out which app it is?

alphawave7

May 1, 2011
If there's a chance it's a rouge app making it crash while it's sleeping, how would I go about figuring out which app it is?

Search market for 'sendlog'. It will log the events preceding a crash.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Perhaps you are being impatient?

My tablet can take up to a 9 count (1001, 1002, ...) sometimes. Most of the time its just a 4 or 5 count.

This used to be almost instant prior to the power saving stuff they added to 3.1.

So get in the habit of single tapping the power button and wait. If you start dancing on that button when the processor is in low power state (sleep) all it does is confuse it with more work than it can handle until it wakes up.

Typically power saving is this chipset is to to totally power down one core, and slow the other one way down, either by setting a different clock speed or lowering the voltage. The processor can be at running 100% just to get the tablet to wake up, its just that the definition of 100% has changed (lowered dramatically). If you dump a ton of work on it in this state it may have trouble getting to a fully awake state, because as soon as it starts you hit the button again and tell it to go to sleep.

hira

Jul 26, 2011
Awesome, I'll give that a try next time it happens...

Thanks!

hira

Jul 26, 2011
I've waited and waited for it to wake after a single press of the power button... certainly longer than it would take to just reboot it.
As a test, I put it to sleep without running any apps (even turned off the live wallpaper) and it still happened...

Anything else I should try before calling Acer?

Thanks.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
My tablet is a 9 count, which is way shorter than a reboot takes.

However, quite by accident I discovered that turning on bluetooth shortens the wake up time to under 3 seconds.
I happen to have a spare bluetooth mouse sitting around and decided to use it on the tablet.

Whether or not the mouse is on, simply having bluetooth turned on makes wake up fast.

hira

Jul 26, 2011
Thanks, IceBike.

I've turned on Bluetooth but it doesn't have any effect on the issue... do I need to actually pair it with something (anything) for it to work?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
In my case I didn't have to pair it with anything.

Well, I did pair it, but then unpaired it as a test. It still puts up its screen in 2 seconds max from the first tap of the button.

What actual wake up times are you seeing if you just wait it out? Or does it never wake up?

hira

Jul 26, 2011
Never wakes up... I've waited up to 10 minutes.

I've paired with a bt headset so we'll see if that makes a difference...

hira

Jul 26, 2011
Pairing made no difference, still having this problem :-(