Slow internet

echeng66

Sep 13, 2011
I am using 3.2. Using speedtest, I am only getting 3MB/s. After reboot, I am getting 10mb/s which is what it should be. I don't want to keep rebooting. Any idea how to find out what is causing this?

Thanks.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I am using 3.2. Using speedtest, I am only getting 3MB/s. After reboot, I am getting 10mb/s which is what it should be. I don't want to keep rebooting. Any idea how to find out what is causing this?

Thanks.

Mine stays at a consistant 20meg down 5.6Meg up with servers that are close to me. (50 miles, multiple different servers).

I suggest its something between you and the net, such as your router. I haven't noticed any speed drop.
Make sure its always using the same server each time, preferably a close one.

echeng66

Sep 13, 2011
Thanks. I did more testing. 5 meg down 3 meg up which is may too slow. If I disconnect and reconnect manually, then I have 12 meg down and 5 meg up. I don't think there is anything wrong with my router since all my other machines connecting to it is o.k. The problem comes when the tablet came out of sleep. Anybody has any idea?

Last edited:

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Can depend on your internet connection. This can vary depending how busy your cable is.

echeng66

Sep 13, 2011
Can depend on your internet connection. This can vary depending how busy your cable is.

I understand that. But right after I manually turn off and on wifi, it is good again. I did this a couple of times. Use speed test right before and after I turn off and on wifi.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I understand that. But right after I manually turn off and on wifi, it is good again. I did this a couple of times. Use speed test right before and after I turn off and on wifi.

Try refreshing the IP address or force tab to choose another IP. Test again.

echeng66

Sep 13, 2011
Try refreshing the IP address or force tab to choose another IP. Test again.

Thanks. How do I refresh IP address other than turning wifi off and on again? I do not know what force tab means. Can you explain?

Thanks.

wiro67

Jul 24, 2011
he probably ment 'force tablet" but anyway did you exclude apps?
i would first install an app manager , do a reboot , test. ... once the speed drops.
go to app manager > close all, test again.if speed is ok again it is prob one service or app running in the background trying to get data or info from internet

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
@Echeng66:

Here is some samples from my test today

------------------------down up ping server
2011-10-18 10:29 Wifi 19637 5908 28 Tacoma, WA
2011-10-18 10:29 Wifi 14097 5841 29 Tacoma, WA
2011-10-18 10:28 Wifi 18699 5988 18 Seattle, WA
----reboot - Older below, Newer above
2011-10-18 10:28 Wifi 17918 5918 17 Seattle, WA
2011-10-18 10:25 Wifi 19204 5799 17 Seattle, WA
2011-10-18 10:24 Wifi 15656 5905 24 Tacoma, WA
2011-10-18 10:24 Wifi 16200 5765 28 Tacoma, WA

If anything, mine slowed down slightly after a reboot but only for the first test at each site.
I always run the test twice in a row because You will often see differences in the first and
second time.

If you have WiFi Disconnect Policy set to anything other than NEVER, you might have a
whole bunch of apps waiting to sync. Facebook, news, weather, twitter, email, etc.
Soon as you wake the device, wifi links up and they all jump on your bandwidth.

I always use Disconnect Never.

Also, try setting bluetooth ON and leaving it on. (It does not actually deplete your battery much).
Bluetooth is built into the same chipset as the wifi, and I found with older versions of the Android that
having bluetooth on allowed the tablet to wake up from sleep faster. With it off, the wifi chip would go
into power saving mode and it took a while for it to wake up. So try leaving bluetooth turned on
and run your tests again.

Last edited:

echeng66

Sep 13, 2011
Thanks to all the suggestions. After many experiments, changing the disconnect policy works. Thanks.

echeng66

Sep 13, 2011
Thanks to all the suggestions. After many experiments, changing the disconnect policy works. Thanks.
Spoke too soon. It was fine for two days. Downloaded an app, turned on bluetooth. Now the problem is back. Uninstall the app, turned off bluetooth, rebooted the machine doesn't seem to fix it. I will investigate more. This is very puzzling.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Spoke too soon. It was fine for two days. Downloaded an app, turned on bluetooth. Now the problem is back. Uninstall the app, turned off bluetooth, rebooted the machine doesn't seem to fix it. I will investigate more. This is very puzzling.

Please go somewhere else. :p

No seriously, find a totally different wifi source, preferably from a different upstream ISP. Maybe a friend's house, coffee shop or Starbucks or something during non-busy hours when the wifi will be lightly loaded.

You may be fighting something you can't fix from the tablet, especially since no one else reports this problem. It could just be your router
or your internet service.

Download and install WIFI Analyzer, to see if maybe there is conflicting wifi routers near by.

It may not be the tablet at all.

Last edited:

echeng66

Sep 13, 2011
Please go somewhere else. :p

No seriously, find a totally different wifi source, preferably from a different upstream ISP. Maybe a friend's house, coffee shop or Starbucks or something during non-busy hours when the wifi will be lightly loaded.

You may be fighting something you can't fix from the tablet, especially since no one else reports this problem. It could just be your router
or your internet service.

Download and install WIFI Analyzer, to see if maybe there is conflicting wifi routers near by.

It may not be the tablet at all.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have wifi analyzer. I live in a condo with gazillion wifi signal nearby. Well 11. I use channel 8. There is one other channel 8. A couple of channel 6 and 11 which does overlap with channel 8. None of my other machines (2 mac, 2 windows) have the problem. In any case, I will try not to obsess over it since a manual reconnect to the wifi will solve the problem. None of my friends and family have this problem. I recommended several of them to get the honeycomb.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Also: Does your tablet have the password for a neighbors router?

My neighbor and I visit back and forth all the time and my tablet can connect to his router, and he can connect to mine.
Some times it latches on to the wrong one by mistake. If you suspect this, have the tablet FORGET every other connection but your own.

Especially if there is some fool in the building that does not secure their router, and your tablet drifts over to there
router instead of yours. Check your Connection when it gets slow.

The fact that sleep mode never helped for a bit suggests that as long as you don't hang up a connection it
stays with the router it first got. But maybe it drifts away when it sleeps or reboots.

Also make sure your router has a unique name (Not "Linksys").

echeng66

Sep 13, 2011
Also: Does your tablet have the password for a neighbors router?

My neighbor and I visit back and forth all the time and my tablet can connect to his router, and he can connect to mine.
Some times it latches on to the wrong one by mistake. If you suspect this, have the tablet FORGET every other connection but your own.

Especially if there is some fool in the building that does not secure their router, and your tablet drifts over to there
router instead of yours. Check your Connection when it gets slow.

The fact that sleep mode never helped for a bit suggests that as long as you don't hang up a connection it
stays with the router it first got. But maybe it drifts away when it sleeps or reboots.

Also make sure your router has a unique name (Not "Linksys").

Thanks for the suggestion. I have checked all the possibilities but cannot resolve the issue. Anyway, it is not too big of a deal. I will just manually disconnect and reconnect to the wi-fi if necessary.