SmartQ Reveals New Tablets with a Desire to Compete with Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
smartq-x7.jpeg

Here's a third party Android tablet company with some lofty goals. The Chinese electronics company called SmartQ is about to introduce some new Android tablets into the market. Some of them are designed to compete directly with the Nexus 7 and the Kindle Fire HD. Interestingly, they don't just intend to compete in the 7-inch market. They also have several other tablets planned, including an 8-inch, 9-inch and 10-inch variety. Here's what we know about their tablets:

SmartQ X7 -
  • 1.5 dual-core OMAP 4470 processor (the same chip that Amazon uses in the new 8.9-inch Kindle Fire HD)
  • 7-inch 1280 x 800 pixel IPS display
  • 2GB RAM
  • 16GB of internal storage
  • A microSD card of up to 64GB in size
  • 2-megapixel cameras in the front and back
  • Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
SmartQ U7 - (Two variants)
  • 7-inch 1024 x 600 pixel display
  • 1GB RAM
  • Dual-core 1GHz OMAP 4430 (with 8GB Storage) the other will have a dual-core OMAP 4460 (with 16GB Storage)
  • Unique Feature: it packs a 40 lumen projector that can project an image of 854 x 480 pixels in size up to a distance that’s just under 6 feet.
SmartQ Ten4 -
  • 9.7-inch device that updates its predecessor, the Ten3
  • Comes with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
  • Either the OMAP 4460 or 4470
  • 7-mm thickness.
These are a fairly intriguing. Of course, they will have a huge market in China, so they will likely do pretty well there. Do you guys thin they might be able to compete here in the States as well?

Source: EasternMorningHerald

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
This sounded great, til I went to there website, then disappointment sunk in. All well win some loose some.

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
I don't see these competing with a Quad Core Tergra like the Nexus 7 has.

-and what of Play Store compatibility?

padthai

Oct 6, 2012
This sounded great, til I went to there website, then disappointment sunk in. All well win some loose some.

You forgot to mention what made you disappointed?

I don't see these competing with a Quad Core Tergra like the Nexus 7 has.
-and what of Play Store compatibility?

I dont think these models where made to compete with Tegra3, some still believe 4-core is waste a of money and resources at this point and go for better value solutions like Kindle HD and Nook HD.

And remember this is a Chinese brand, so i would say these are more an alternative to Kindle and ipad for Chinese users and will not lock you in an skinned Android UI or the evil ios.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Considering the Nexus starts at $200 I don't really think you can point to the Kindle or Nook as a better value based on their use of less powerful hardware.
Chinese tablets really are in their own class with some amazing hardware at a great value, but it's unfortunately the exception rather than the rule. There's a lot of crap to dig through to find the gems.

arcone

Aug 27, 2012
On paper these tablets may look OK, but the n7 is awesome in real life.
Typing this on an n7, I can't get over how clear text is on this thing.

BamaPanda

Oct 6, 2011
SmartQ is probably the best of the china tabs, when you consider all areas; build, wifi, support. I am waiting for the Ten4, which I have no doubt will handle pretty much anything you throw at it. It may not be as fast as the Tegra mentioned, but everyone is not looking for the latest speed demon. The new TI OMAP Chip is plenty capable.

The beauty of the China tabs is them being somewhat native and open. Easily rooted and controlled, rather than having to follow a pre-ordained script such as I am doing right now with this iPad2 (same as every other big Android player as well). SmartQ has also implemented easy wireless upgrading, which none of the other china tab makers have.

Thing is, my wait may be a be a while, as the email I received from them indicated they are in no hurry to make the Ten4 ...probably a big stock of Ten3s.

If you wish to see some detailed pix of the Ten4 ...go here.
SmartQ Ten4 comparison

BamaPanda

Oct 6, 2011

I imagine you are disappointed because it is Chinese. Well, that's a given. There is translation to help, of course.

Here is the thing. Many folks like to have everything neat, tidy and controlled ...such as what you get with Nexxus, Asus, Fire ..etc. Others, like me ...like to be able to 'manage' the tablet ...making it do our bidding. The China tab market offers something for the more adventuresome.

Not everyone's cup of tea, for sure. Still, it will be interesting to see if one of the best from China can break into markets other than China.

Maybe they will wise up and give us an English website. ;)

b1lk1

Jan 15, 2012
Mainstream tablets can be whipped into shape easy enough if you just do your homework. Also, mainstream tablets hardware tends to be able to be adapted to most any stage of Android. Now when it comes to Apple's stuff, it is locked down so far that it is almost not even orth the effort to unlock them because you can lose so much functionality. Android tablets only gain functionality once you unlock/root/flash them.

Chinese tablets serve their purpose, but they are far too hit or miss in terms of end user quality. I also don't even care about the absolute latest hardware, my Tegra 2 is still slapping any game out there around with ease. Too much emphasis has been placed on core count and screen density. The major nono with the nexus 7 is the lack of non-internet based storage. Total deal breaker for so many.

Anyhow, lots of other tablets out there to choose from, just make that decision wisely.

BamaPanda

Oct 6, 2011
I was aware that mainstream tabs could be rooted; just not aware how easy it is ..if it is at all.

I also have a Teclast Blade w/Allwinner A10t, and rooting it almost gave me a nervous breakdown. I got it done, but the fear of bricking the tab was always there.

To the SmartQ brand (and, yes ..I am a fan) ...to be able to wirelessly upgrade is a big step. Plus I like the plethora of connections that one can always get on China tabs ...makes it so much easier.

As for the Ten4 (just to toot it's horn a bit) .. It uses the same screen as a iPad2; the same memory ..and it is 9.7" ...a 4/3 ratio. I am amazed that the big players have not did more with this size and ratio ...maybe it is fear of being sued by Apple.

Anyways ...the 10.1" leaves me cold, personally. Even the 9.7" sometimes seems a bit large at times, and i have read that the 9.7" actually has more screen area than a 10.1".

I use this iPad for business a lot, and it is undoubtedly the best all around format there is for a larger tab. If one of the bigger players like Nexxus, Asus or Samsung had come out with a 9.7", I probably would be there as well.

Still I would have had to pay more, though. ;)

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I imagine you are disappointed because it is Chinese. Well, that's a given. There is translation to help, of course.

Here is the thing. Many folks like to have everything neat, tidy and controlled ...such as what you get with Nexxus, Asus, Fire ..etc. Others, like me ...like to be able to 'manage' the tablet ...making it do our bidding. The China tab market offers something for the more adventuresome.

Not everyone's cup of tea, for sure. Still, it will be interesting to see if one of the best from China can break into markets other than China.

Maybe they will wise up and give us an English website. ;)

All my tablets are Chinese tablets, my disappointment was the price, I expected them to also have a Chinese price tag, not an American price tag. I don't own a Nexus cause I refuse to pay such a high price for a tablet, so why would i then turn around and pay more for a Chinese tablet.

The Nexus 7 8GB tablet is a $100 dollar tablet then reduce every other Nexus 7 tablet by $50 and then they would be priced correctly.

BamaPanda

Oct 6, 2011
Ha! I should have looked at your profile. No insult intended.:cool:

I too like to have the lowest price (but I have paid way more at times due to buying a defective tab). Still ...most of the China tabs can be a hit or miss, depending on the build batch. I thought I might have found a winner in Pipo RK3066, but now it looks that their QC has slipped a bit like the others seem to do.

That is why I like SmartQ. They may be a bit higher, but they look to be the one who is looking to go head to head, quality wise ...with the bigger android brands. Compared to the brand names, they still should have a lower cost; plus quality when compared. I am a bit surprised this forum does not have a space for the brand.

And for me ..add the 9.7" size factor. Probably silly ...but I desire the perfect iPad replacement with Android Jelly Bean.

Of course, then there will be something else new! :eek:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011

I too like to have the lowest price (but I have paid way more at times due to buying a defective tab). Still ...most of the China tabs can be a hit or miss, depending on the build batch. I thought I might have found a winner in Pipo RK3066, but now it looks that their QC has slipped a bit like the others seem to do.

That is why I like SmartQ. They may be a bit higher, but they look to be the one who is looking to go head to head, quality wise ...with the bigger android brands. Compared to the brand names, they still should have a lower cost; plus quality when compared. I am a bit surprised this forum does not have a space for the brand.

And for me ..add the 9.7" size factor. Probably silly ...but I desire the perfect iPad replacement with Android Jelly Bean.

No problem glad you like the tablets, I was just on ebay looking at the nexus 7 8Gb tablet, the thing that stood out the most to me was the amount of broken screens, just unreal, that alone has stopped my search for a cheap nexus tablet, I have yet to break a screen on a Chinese tablet. I have broken the screens on my htc phones though, LOL.

Anyway good luck to you.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011

I most likely will be buying a version of this tablet, notice the price. This is the price range I am accustomed to for Chinese tablets. I like buying top end tablets at low end prices.