So.. after much deliberation....

reinangel

May 20, 2011
i decided to go with the ebay deal and get one.
any tips or suggestions on what i NEED to do right out of the box?
I'm not rooting because it does everything i want it to do as it is.
I didnt even root my evo.

any suggestions would be appreciated.
<3

taichimaster

Apr 29, 2011
Kinda depends on what you want it to do. I would get a protective case for it since it doesn't do well with a drop.

Another thing I would do is to get a cup of coffee and read all (ok, most) of the threads in this forum. This will give you a good idea of what's going on with the A500.

The next thing I would do is to start scoping out the various places (Amazon, etc) for some microsd cards. 32 gb is still kinda expensive, but the 16 gb ones are really cost efficient.

Hope that helps,

Ken

reinangel

May 20, 2011
i have been stalking this and 2 other forums for the last month :) i have run all necessary tests on the display model
at best buy. I was just looking for anything else that may not have been covered .

and i already have my micro sd card and adapter for reg sd incase i decided on the toshiba. ( which i still might get anyway)

robdroid

May 4, 2011
First things to do once home is:
1) Check GPS performance
2) Check Wi-fi performance

Some users have received defective units that are far below the nominal performance level of the majority of most A500's in the area of GPS and wi-fi.
Test your straight out of the box and then start to add apps once you confirm proper operation of both functions.

sf95070

Jun 8, 2011
Download ASTRO file manager or equivalent so you can use your micro SD chip or Flash Drive.

I suggest that you insert a flash drive before loading a bunch of stuff as otherwise the apps, music, games etc use your internal storage in a folder named sdcard, but actually part of your internal storage.

ASTRO will show you two additional folders, external_sd which is the micro SD card and usb_storage which is a thumb drive or whatever plugged into the USB port.

I tried File Manager HD which looks better on a tablet, but it didn't recognize the physical SD card or thumbdrive, only the sdcard folder on the internal storage.

If you load first, it can be a bit a pain to move the stuff later and free up internal storage.

BTW, if you want to watch a movie once or listen to a large pile of music occaisionally, playing straight off a thumb drive works great, eliminates the time and bother to copy stuff to the tablet and keeps your internal storage free. Its also much more convenient than changing micro SD cards.

Both file manager programs are free.

davea

Feb 26, 2011
Go to the Google market and download some apps and enjoy! I have MANY apps downloaded from the market that may apparently be for Android 2.2 and designed for a phone, but work just fine on the tablet.