So did the all the servers crash on the B&N site.. whats up ????

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
no access to the site or market.. and no answers from support.. Anyone know whats going on ????

Pebo

Apr 27, 2011
Hi, I'm new here. I have the same problem. I'm in Central N.J., so I called my local B&N Store. They told me all the NookColors are down. There is a server problem and they are working on it. She advised me to "shut off my unit and then try it again from time to time and hopefully it will be fixed soon." The demos went down in the store and then people who came into the store with their units experienced the same problem. She said it may be fixed soon or it may take a day. Keeping fingers crossed.

marcjac

Feb 25, 2011
Aha! I should've checked here first! I used my NC over lunch (around 1-2pm Eastern) without any issues. Came home after work around 6pm and fired it up and was asked to repeat the setup! I tried doing that but it kept telling me there was a "network problem". So I shut it down and I'll check back tomorrow morning. Thank goodness it's not a device I rely on heavily, so this is a minor annoyance and nothing more for me. Thanks for the updates!

AshleyBDG

Jan 27, 2011
I was wondering what was going on. It was fine last night, but tonight I picked it up and had to re-register it. My root was gone, but my software still says it's 1.1.0, so I'm confused. I tried to do the CWR thing awhile back but am not tech-savvy enough and couldn't figure it out, I think I copied everything to the SDcard, but not sure what to do from there, I kinda gave up and didn't mess with it after that, so I may have all my stuff on the sd card but am not sure how it all works and what to do from there. You know it just figured this would happen the day after I bought my very first book and it just so happened to be through my kindle app, and I have a weekend of traveling ahead of me I was looking forward to reading it. :( Bummer.

marcjac

Feb 25, 2011
Update; I was able to successfully reregister this morning. Had to go through the whole process, only to find that ALL the files (photos, music, spreadsheets) that I'd kept on the NC (not on SD card) are GONE. Oh well <sigh>.... Starting over I guess lol.

-Marc

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
This is a disturbing thread. Why would B&N servers having issues affect functioning Nooks so severely? I was about ready to finally get a NC, but this high level of network dependency/remote control is something that I have not seen with several other Android tablets. I expect network dependency to obtain/access new content, but not to lose what is already installed.

Is this degree of remote control (with such a glaring downside) expected behavior?

Update: I take back some of the above. Based on points made below by J5150P and Anima Technica it seems this is more likely a fragile update process broken by servers crashing at just the wrong time, and not so much any sinister control mechanism by B&N. Hope so.

Last edited:

Pebo

Apr 27, 2011
I tried mine again around 9 PM last night. I was able to reregister and am now good to go. I'm glad the problem was fixed quickly.

marcjac

Feb 25, 2011
I agree with Rokky. This IS disturbing because I never realized how tied to BN my NC was. ALL my stuff is gone, so I spent some of this morning reloading files. I am NOT rooted at the moment and wasn't prior to this reset. It's a bit scary to me to think that at any point in time, a "server issue" at BN could wipe my device without my knowledge. Yes, I can do backups and so forth, but my point is I shouldn't have to out of fear that BN could delete everything. I keep wifi on so I can surf the web and view/purchase books and apps. But I don't feel I should be tied to BN's servers to this extent. Really making me rethink my purchase. I can understand servers going down; happens everywhere all the time. But having those servers wipe my device in the process??? Nawww.... I DON'T understand!

-Marc

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
So what exactly happened here and how many of you are rooted (there is at least one unprotected root mentioned)? I am having a little trouble following the exact issue. It sounds like you lost files including music and photos in addition to books. I can understand the books disappearing because they actaully keep your B&N books on their servers so that you always have access to them anytime from any device (i.e. a phone or pc with the B&N app).

It also sounds like you may have received the 1.2 update which only partially completed due to the servers crashing at the same time. This led to install issues and the device to do a recovery install which cleared the contents. If that is the case it doen't sound like B&N is wiping anything but you had a bit of bad luck with an update and serves crashing.

1. What version of software were you on?
2. Were you rooted? If so did you have CWR installed to block updates?
3. Specifially what types of files were lost, music, books, pictures? Were these files side loaded (copied by you to the device) or purchased or downloaded through B&N?
4. In addition to the request to reregister was there a notification about an update or new software?
5. What version of B&N software are you showing now?

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
from the sound of it the issue is because of the upgrade plus the crash people weren't able to register - i would think if you had just installed 1.2 and got it registered, the only thing you will lose are the books - which is understandable since it reside in BN servers and were likely overwritten in the process of upgrading to 1.2 - if you had downloaded them previously i would think it should be intact

yet another reason why i'm loving my cm7

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
well here is what happened with my 2 NC.. one is autonooter and the other is stock which I sideloaded the update.. on monday.. Absolutely NOTHING .
. each unit is working as before.. even the autonootered one... only chg was they downloaded a whole year of a magazine subscription that I had and just purchased one issue.. now I have 8 issues.. all music, pix's and video's are in place.. hopefully it will stay that way... but still considering upgrading to CM7.. just like the autonooter options better than what I see CM7 provides.. still with mixed feeling about this.

marcjac

Feb 25, 2011
@J515OP; Let me answer your questions as far as my specific situation:

1. I was on 1.2 at the time. I had downloaded and installed it Monday evening and ran it for almost 2 days without any problems.
2. I had rooted previously but only on the SD card. I had removed the card over the weekend and was running stock 1.1 in preparation for the update.
3. The files I lost were music, photos, spreadsheets that I had copied onto the NC (not onto card) via USB from my laptop.
4. I had attempted to reregister when the NC asked me to yesterday at lunch, but in spite of a solid wifi connection, it indicated it could NOT register me due to "network connectivity issues" (or something along those lines). There was NOT any notification of new software along the bottom taskbar (or anywhere else lol).
5. Now that I've reregistered this morning, I'm showing version 1.2 (which I had verified Monday evening after updating as well).

Hope this helps somewhat... I'm still confused. I understand the relationship of books read/purchased to the BN server. The ones I'd read came back after reregistering. Any apps I'd downloaded and any files I'd copied over to the NC's internal memory were wiped out. As soon as I registered I checked the device info and it showed I had 5GB of 5GB available.

-Marc

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Marc, thanks for the details. It does seem odd and a little crazy that files went missing. I am still not sure why it happened but I suspect it has more to do with the update overwriting the files thatn the servers being down. You'd think that B&N would have accounted for that in the update process so my best guess is that you had some sort of recovery reinstall associated with whatever happened that cleared your device.

JP

marcjac

Feb 25, 2011
@J515OP: That's the first (and most plausible) explanation I've heard. It's not that BN wiped my data in some sinister way. Rather, they pushed the 1.2 update to me and wiped out everything in the process. Makes PERFECT sense! But you'd also think that if they were pushing the OTA update, they'd have some sort of system check to verify whether 1.2 exists on the device in the first place. Regardless, your answer makes the most sense and gives me some peace of mind that BN isn't "reaching out" to wipe my device for whatever reason lol. Thanks!!

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
from the sound of it the issue is because of the upgrade plus the crash people weren't able to register - i would think if you had just installed 1.2 and got it registered, the only thing you will lose are the books - which is understandable since it reside in BN servers and were likely overwritten in the process of upgrading to 1.2 - if you had downloaded them previously i would think it should be intact

yet another reason why i'm loving my cm7

OK, I can go along with your take on it - modified my original post above accordingly. Guess I will consider going ahead with a purchase, but want to think through how to "protect" my NC from such a fragile update process - look into backups for sure.