so how much of the 16gb of space do you really get on the Nook Tablet?

dodgefan67

Nov 9, 2011
was reading the specs on bn.com for the Nook Tablet. it comes with 16gb built in and we already know that some of that is used for the OS, etc. then i read this at the bottom

• Approximately 13GB available to store content, of which up to 12GB may be reserved for content purchased from the Barnes & Noble NOOK Store
so if buy all my stuff from bn.com it can take up to 12gb of the 13gb i have left over? that only leaves 1gb for my own content that i can put on via usb? yes i can put a 32gb microSD card in and be fine, but what about folks who dont have one of those? and what about installing apps? can they be installed to a separate microSD card or will they have to go on the internal storage like other tablets i have read?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Well you have two distinct scenarios here 1. stock Nook and 2 rooted Nook.

1. You will only be able to get apps from B&N so you don't have to worry about apps from other sources taking up your 1GB of space. That leaves media and data files. 1GB sure isn't very much room if you are loading music or movies on it. However, it isn't entirely clear that you won't be able to put these types of files on the larger B&N space. More likely you won't be able to put your B&N content in the smaller space but might be able to go the other way.

2. If you root you will be able to place B&N apps and third party apps wherever you want including the SD card (some apps can't run from the card though). I can't see a scenario where the devs are limited to the 1GB of space.

3. It is also highly likely that if for some reason the default partitioning does present some sort of inconvenience for users that there will be a way to repartition the internal drive to whatever configuration makes sense. This has already been done with the green/blue dot later generation Nook Colors and the earlier models.

I really don't see this as being an issue and you will essentially see any free space on the device as usable. If it isn't enough for you (likely 10GB+ usable) then at least you always have the SD card option.

JP

dodgefan67

Nov 9, 2011
that makes sense, thanks. still new to the whole tablet thing and im learning as i go (but very familiar with linux) and appreciate the explanations im getting here, great site, everyone is very helpful!!

jglen490

Dec 13, 2010
Hang around a while. B&N is going to realize how much of a public relations mistake that will be and they will release a mod to free up all the space for any content.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
At the moment it isn't an issue as it is already possible to put 3rd party apps in the B&N space :)