So i guess sd card support comes with 3.2 ?

jhelms4461

May 1, 2011
was reading where wifi Xoom's were getting 3.2 rolled out shortly, with sd card support !! i presume it will come to us shortly aswell !!

The rumors that the next version of Honeycomb being right around the corner look to be true, as today Android Open-Source Project engineer Jean-Baptiste Queru has pushed the GPL portions of the 3.2 source code to the AOSP tree. Don't think this means that Honeycomb has been open-sourced -- this is just the bits used for the 3.2 update that are using the GPL license, which requires the source code to be available when the software is shipped.
For you developers out there, JBQ also gives build instructions (they haven't changed since last time) and warns that the binaries aren't likely to run on actual hardware, again like the 3.1 code. While I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting the core of Honeycomb to be open-sourced, at least we know that the 3.2 update is on track and we should be seeing it soon.
Update: As pointed out in the comments below, the 3.2 update is rolling out now for Wifi users. It's build number HTJ85B, has the application zooming feature we first saw yesterday, and the long-awaited SD card support.
Source: Android Building Google group; via +Jean-Baptiste Queru

pwalt

Dec 1, 2010
Can you explain to me what you mean by SD card support? I'm just a basic user ... but I can use my file explorer to access my SD card. Is this more of a programming issue?

deedub

Jul 4, 2011
Can you explain to me what you mean by SD card support? I'm just a basic user ... but I can use my file explorer to access my SD card. Is this more of a programming issue?

In a nutshell, your A500 can see the SD card, but when the A500 is connected to a PC with USB, the PC cannot see the SD card. Currently, you have to physically remove the SD card from the A500, mount it to the PC in a card reader, copy files to it, and then reinsert the SD in the A500. A royal pain.

Last edited:

pwalt

Dec 1, 2010
In a nutshell, your A500 can see the SD card, but when the A500 is connected to a PC with USB, the PC cannot see the SD card. Currently, you have to physically remove the SD card from the A500, mount it to the PC in a card reader, copy files to it, and then reinsert the SD in the A500. A royal pain.

I guess I haven't tried it yet ... hmmmm. I've had my tablet for a few months now and I've just hooked it to my computer with a cable this week! I normally do just take out the card, cause generally I can't find my cable! LOL

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Just use a file manager and transfer files over WIFI directly to the card.
I honestly can't remember the last time I hooked up my Acer to my PC.

Besides, access to the Add In MicroSD card from your PC isn't the issue, and never has been.

The Xoom shipped with a totally non functional MicroSD card slot.
It was filled with a dummy card. See Here. Or read about the grousing here: The MicroSD Card Issues In The Motorola Xoom Still Not Fixed.

It had nothing at all to do with seeing the card on the PC.

We Acer owners have been spoiled from the start with a working MicroSD card. We can't imagine a tablet sold with a slot that didn't even work.

Last edited:

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I don't want to hijack the thread, but how do I transfer files using Wifi?

Download a free file manager like Es File manager or File Manager HD.
It will let you browse any shared windows directories via wifi.

You can then select, copy, paste etc. wires are obsolete.

May 10, 2011
Download a free file manager like Es File manager or File Manager HD.
It will let you browse any shared windows directories via wifi.

You can then select, copy, paste etc. wires are obsolete.

Correction: wires are ALMOST obsolete. lol
ill take a wired transfer with superfast speeds over the ease of wireless anyday.

hunted

Jul 4, 2011

Besides, access to the Add In MicroSD card from your PC isn't the issue, and never has been.

It was filled with a dummy card. See Here. Or read about the grousing here: The MicroSD Card Issues In The Motorola Xoom Still Not Fixed.

It had nothing at all to do with seeing the card on the PC.

We Acer owners have been spoiled from the start with a working MicroSD card. We can't imagine a tablet sold with a slot that didn't even work.
wow and i almost bought one of them....urrrrrgggg glad i went with the acer for the wife and shes a copy cat and got me the same i got her......lmao....;-}

deedub

Jul 4, 2011

Actually, a physical USB port and all of the flexibility it brings is one of the main reasons a lot of tablet buyers chose the A500. I certainly understand from your post you have no need to do this, but a lot of people do.

[/QUOTE]Besides, access to the Add In MicroSD card from your PC isn't the issue, and never has been.

It had nothing at all to do with seeing the card on the PC.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand why we need to worry about a problem our Acer's do not have.

[/QUOTE]We Acer owners have been spoiled from the start with a working MicroSD card. We can't imagine a tablet sold with a slot that didn't even work.[/QUOTE]

I would have to disagree with this one. My Android phone has a totally functional SD card, you can mount it to the PC easily with a USB connection. I can't do this with my Acer A500. So, IMO, since this cannot be done with the Acer, it is not completely "working".