So which tablet? Zenithink or Wits A81e

Oct 2, 2010
Howdy! I'm new here with a typical newbie question. Which tablet should I choose?

I'm torn between the Zenithink and the Wits A81e.

I nixed the Archos 5 due to it's size, and am looking for a tablet that has flash 10, android 2.2, and will play movies, videos and that with a few mods I can install Kindle and Slingbox Mobile on.

A g sensor and gps is not too important to me, but WiFi and the ability to hack is since I know I'll need to get Market running on whatever device I end up with.

To help out a bit more, the USB on the Zenithink is a huge plus to me, and the flash 10 support makes me want the Wits.

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

pazvanti

Jun 19, 2010
Right now I would recommend the Wits...but if you have a couple of months to wait...I think some better alternatives might come out.

iamdestruktor

Aug 31, 2010
It really depends on what you can do without. Do you essentially NEED Android market or do you NEED a gsensor and flash 10.1? I would probably pick the Wits A81. Its kinda hot selling i would say from what i've read about. But then again, if you end up getting a Zenithink, you can always find apps to download via Google.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I have the A81-E. I like it for many of the things you desire. But miss some of the obvious elements.
It has:
1. Froyo
2. A good secondary community building/improving the core firmware
3. A reasonable screen and processor
4. Bluetooth
5. Good WiFi depending upon the build
6. GPS capable if you want it.

It does not have for whatever reason:
1. A Microphone, Although, it will recognize the microphone of a Bluetooth headset. But what is weirder, There is a solder socket on the circuit board for a Mic, and a hole in the case
2. A secondary USB port, although, again a solder socket for one. None built into the socket
3. Fully Baked factory Firmware, the FW cooks have improved and have made it faster and more stable

And the community is better for support than of the Vendors. I think this is due in part to the support provided by the factory
It is for a "Maker" a real project. I am seriously considering a piggy-back USB secondary port (I would have to use a powered hub) and a Mic

Given a choice I would still choose the A81 but they are not the perfect tablet. But I am not sure any Android tablet has reached it yet.

Just my opinion though

Oct 2, 2010
Well I think I'm going to take the advice given and go for the Wits A81e. I am waiting for some other tabs to be released, but have a feeling I won't be getting another tab until December.

I did pop a nut today and got a Gentouch. It's going back tomorrow. I was willing to give it a go, but couldn't even manage to change screens. It also froze on me twice in just a few minutes so it has to go. It's absolute garbage. I just hope the Wits is better!

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Be Aware, Whether you buy it in the US or elsewhere. There are two points to remember right now.
1. The Chinese Autumn holidays will impact any order until at least October 7.
2. The WITS/Nationite model is fairly popular and have known delivery delay issues. This is true for both MP4Nation or Merimobiles.

There are other resellers as well. MeriMobiles is giving an 8 Gb MicroSD card for the inconvenience. Others are giving a 5% discount.
Also. Some ship free, others add as much as $40USD for shipping. AND if you pay the extra, you still may have lack of joy due to shipping delays.

Best of Luck. I do understand about the GenTouch. I know of two friends who have returned their units.

Oct 2, 2010
Thank you! The Gentouch was pretty horrid.

I still want to order the Wits A81e, but I will wait a few weeks. In the meantime I picked up an Archos 5 which should tide me over until I can get a 7 or 10 inch tablet. Hopefully the Wits!

skycop51

Sep 9, 2010
I have the zenithink and the Moonse, Android I like both. But there harris issues.
The zenithink does not connect to wifi So fast. Plus battery Is not So good.
Moonse connects fast, battery life better. Now the g sensor works then quits working. I can live without but why does it do that?

kpitao

Oct 4, 2010
Let me jump in here! I'm sorry......

I'm shopping around for a tablet, which one you guys suggest?
A few things are important to me:

Froyo (or maybe 2.1 with the ability to upgrade to Froyo)
7" screen

A good processor
GPS

WIFI

Thanks

jtshop

Oct 6, 2010
Let me jump in here! I'm sorry......

I'm shopping around for a tablet, which one you guys suggest?
A few things are important to me:

Froyo (or maybe 2.1 with the ability to upgrade to Froyo)
7" screen

A good processor
GPS

WIFI

Thanks
if Froyo ,gps , good processor , only wits , but wits is lazy with developing
if you don' need
Froyo , there are many tcc8902 mid , such as hsg x5a , haipad or other name . they all have tcc8902 , 7 inches and android 2.1

vijaykhai

Jun 19, 2010
Hi GURGLE,

You stated "Although, it will recognize the microphone of a Bluetooth headset" above. Can you please CONFIRM this, as I read in MP4 forum a user stating that he tried to voice record, and each time it locked up. Have you tried it and if so what make/model BT set, as I want to get the same.

Few weeks ago you stated that you had a freind who used am Mifi with a SIM card in India to get Internet connectivity. Can you please provide the details of make/model of Mifi and the SIM card also if possible.

Many thanks in anticipation.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Hi GURGLE,

You stated "Although, it will recognize the microphone of a Bluetooth headset" above. Can you please CONFIRM this, as I read in MP4 forum a user stating that he tried to voice record, and each time it locked up. Have you tried it and if so what make/model BT set, as I want to get the same.

Few weeks ago you stated that you had a freind who used am Mifi with a SIM card in India to get Internet connectivity. Can you please provide the details of make/model of Mifi and the SIM card also if possible.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Answer 1: Vodafone 2352. It was purchased unlocked in Hong Kong

Answer 2: I am using my old Motorola H350 BT Earpiece which I have had for a while. It was immediately recognised. I first played audio and output was good. I then installed the generic voice recorder without incident. But warning Microphone is no JawBone. It works is all I can say.

I am not using Factory FW on my A81-E. I am using Adeptus Version 3 of his FW build. It is not perfect FW, but it is the best I have played with on my A81-E. Supposedly they WITStech will be releasing a new Factory FW. But while hopeful, I am not holding my breath.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I will be honest and say I have no idea. I have been to the WITstech site, Merimobiles and the various other sites. All imply 3G Modem capability with specific 3G modems. Only thing I know which works for sure are the 3G WiFi APs like the Vodafone. These are NOT ad-hoc AP kludges like some AP Ad-Hoc tethering apps used on some phones.

MaxTcee

Oct 13, 2010
so if i have wifi hotspot on my sprint evo can i connect to this w/ and w/o teathering