So who picked up the Acer Iconia today?

overclockedi7

Apr 25, 2011
I take it that you like it, overclock? ;-)

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

Yes I do. I am very pleased with the overall features and ui so far, everything runs smoothly and very responsive. The app market is like endless but we all knew that already. I am eager to see the a501 tab drop next month or so through att which is basically the same tab with 1080p and a 4g GSM antenna. The device feels heavy and durable, for u I pad owners I feel like its gonna snap in my hands every time I hold it, not here definitely a sturdy feel but its definitely heavier than all the other tablets so far. I have had a few force closes in the email app but that's about it for crashes but ill be sure to post anything I run into over the next week or so

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

overclockedi7

Apr 25, 2011
Wow! I played with a Galaxy Tab for the first time today. If I were looking for a 7" tab, it would definitely be on my short list. I was impressed.

Aren't those like a super sized galaxy s phone?

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
Yes I do. I am very pleased with the overall features and ui so far, everything runs smoothly and very responsive. The app market is like endless but we all knew that already. I am eager to see the a501 tab drop next month or so through att which is basically the same tab with 1080p and a 4g GSM antenna. The device feels heavy and durable, for u I pad owners I feel like its gonna snap in my hands every time I hold it, not here definitely a sturdy feel but its definitely heavier than all the other tablets so far. I have had a few force closes in the email app but that's about it for crashes but ill be sure to post anything I run into over the next week or so

Very cool! I'm liking it too, every bit as much as I thought I would. The Facebook app forcecloses on me then I try to click on a friend's profile. It works fine in the browser, though. I'm now going to try it in the Social Jogger and see how it works from there; may not need the Market download...

Garemlin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2010
Very cool! I'm liking it too, every bit as much as I thought I would. The Facebook app forcecloses on me then I try to click on a friend's profile. It works fine in the browser, though. I'm now going to try it in the Social Jogger and see how it works from there; may not need the Market download...

This is a honeycomb issue. Not a hardware one. Facebook doesn't play well with HC just yet.

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
That's what I thought, which is why I just looked for workarounds. Not worth stressing over... yet. LOL

overclockedi7

Apr 25, 2011

Yeah I use socialjogger and it works great I did go ahead and get the facebook app just to see and so far actually haven't had any issue yet but its good to know. I get force close with ebuddy every time anyone else have this issue and if so what are some workarounds or alternatives anyone has used. I am having trouble finding a good mobile app to video chat with MSN users or another way haven't really used the front facing can and wanna test it out. Anyway till next time.

suade907

Apr 27, 2011
Got mine, I have a few issues that I think will be resolved over time. I'm constantly getting kicked out of apps or having random apps launching when trying to use other apps. I especially notice this when installing apps from the app store. Sometimes when typing numbers the keyboard switches to letters or just disappears on it's own. I also have noticed the whole android experience is not quite as smooth as my i pad or pc. It has a slight jerkiness to it like a netbook may of had a few years back. It's very very minor but noticeable. Also my battery life is not what acer had claimed which I was really dissapointed about. I had hit 5.5 hours with less than 20% left doing random usage. I would not of made the 7 hours that endgadget claimed in there video tests. Overall I like the look and feel of honeycomb. I think Google really dropped the ball by taking away our buttons and adding them to the bottom of the screen. I feel like I'm using a convoluted version of windows now. It's ok but I would of rather seen they stuck with the phone os and built on that. I like my physical buttons. I've also had lot's of minor issues web browsing where things just go awry and kick me to the main screen. As far as the screen goes I think the colors are great but I'm constantly feeling like I'm viewing a lower resolution image for some reason. I'm not sure if it's the lack of IPS or what but it never seems super crisp except in certain apps or the home screen. I also had a weird issue when checking the battery stats I had noticed my battery was being used by a cell radio or service locater, I forget the name but essentially it was looking for cell service like my phone and it ate up 9% of my battery in the first 2 hours. It said I could disable it by putting it in airplane mode but now my unit randomly turns off the wifi so I'm not sure if I needed to do that or not. It doesn't seem to be using the battery for that function anymore though.

That's a lot of ranting but overall I have mixed feelings. I'd rate the unit a 3 out of 5 and am hoping to see many fixes in the software and hopefully they can improve on the battery usage but overall I love the experience It's pretty slick and a far cry from the boring ipad. With all the software issues fixed I'd probably raise my rating to a 4.

overclockedi7

Apr 25, 2011
OK guys so I said that I would post up some thing that I ran into over the next few days and here it is. I notice that gps didn't even get a lock onto anything until I got GPS test from the market and I live just far away from an open field that my wi fi reaches and I could test this. Also just that lol the GPS is useless without a working data connection so unless you are stopped and on a wi fi hotspit or at home don't plan on road trips with it don't know why this is but I wish that u could download the maps to the device to use them with GPS while moving like on most any other GPS unit. The compass on the device is also horrible as it is 90° off and I tested this vs two other android devices and a real compass hopefully that gets fixed soon in an update. Well that's it for now till next time gang.

motorxoom

Apr 28, 2011
Wow this is a delabreaker for me. If it has a GPS chip why would you need a data connection. Is anyone else having this issue. Will not buy if this is the case as I use my XOOM now as my CAR GPS system.

OK guys so I said that I would post up some thing that I ran into over the next few days and here it is. I notice that gps didn't even get a lock onto anything until I got GPS test from the market and I live just far away from an open field that my wi fi reaches and I could test this. Also just that lol the GPS is useless without a working data connection so unless you are stopped and on a wi fi hotspit or at home don't plan on road trips with it don't know why this is but I wish that u could download the maps to the device to use them with GPS while moving like on most any other GPS unit. The compass on the device is also horrible as it is 90° off and I tested this vs two other android devices and a real compass hopefully that gets fixed soon in an update. Well that's it for now till next time gang.

shanksv

Nov 13, 2010
.... the GPS is useless without a working data connection so unless you are stopped and on a wi fi hotspit or at home don't plan on road trips with it don't know why this is but I wish that u could download the maps to the device to use them with GPS while moving like on most any other GPS unit. ....

Are you saying stuff like Copilot etc does not work, or are you just reffering to Google maps here?