[Solved] Desktop view default

wilsr

Jul 5, 2012
I know that you can select the desktop view on Firefox from the top RH menu, but it's annoying to do this time and time again: is there any way of making desktop view the default for all apps?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
enter URL: about:config

enter this in search: agent

toggle this to false: general.useragent.site_specific_overrides

toggle this to true: general.useragent.enable_overrides

add a new string: general.agent.override
select "string"
enter: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:21.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/21.0

go to: Settings > Apps > Firefox and push "Force stop"

The browser will now identify as the desktop version of Firefox.

URL auto complete/search may still swap in mobile URLs though that you can eliminate by clearing personal data and history items, etc.

You can alternately try the Phony addon ...remember to "Force stop" the browser after each UA change. I don't know whether or not Phony works though with the current version of Firefox.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
There is another way that ultimately may be easier. An Add-on called Phony that will let you request desktop mode permanently, but you can change it.

wilsr

Jul 5, 2012
Mr Helper: Tried your coding - checking all the text was good - but no change in Firefox - it doesn't automatically give me the desktop view unless I select it from the upper RH menu.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Mr Helper: Tried your coding - checking all the text was good - but no change in Firefox - it doesn't automatically give me the desktop view unless I select it from the upper RH menu.

Use the Phony add-on.

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
Thanks: I went online to get that but saw "desktopbydefault" and that seems to work ok.

Thanks all.
The "Desktop by Default" Firefox add-on is a great solution! That seems to be exactly what you asked for. Phony and the manual config change that I provided merely change the User Agent, but I noticed with those solutions that Firefox would continue to use mobile pages unless I cleared all app data first. This solution appears to eliminate that need to work around the quirky desktop check box option, and with the apparent benefit of allowing you to switch back and forth without killing the browser in between. Thanks for sharing that!

Last edited: