Some file management/navigation questios

dianehelen

Oct 8, 2011
Hi there...

Im sorta new here, and very new to Android and Tablets. My sweet love of my life husband came home and surprised me with an Acer Iconia A500 and Im trying to familiarize myself with some of it.

Im pretty technical so you dont have to explain like to a puppy :)

I am able to get around pretty well, get apps, etc, get all my fun stuff working, Pandora, Spotify, Skype, Remote Desktop, etc.. but what seems to be a little puzzling is the file management.

I am guessing from what I see from the one app I did get that seems to do some of what I want, Ghost Commander, that the file system, similar to my Palm Pre, is actually in Linux, which is somewhat familar to me, so Im ok there. But what seems to be a bit strange, is how I have to maneuver between what seems to be a default download mounted virtual SD card, and my actual readable to the device directories.

The example I will offer is downloading pictures from my FTP site, and how to "easily" get them to land in a folder, where I can easily see, from one of the (maybe too) many photo viewer apps. I can log into my FTP, navigate to where I want, then copy the pics to the tablet. But When I do that they seem to default land in that virtually mounted sd card directory. I have sorta stumbled thru the process and figured out how to create folders in my local storage and move the pics to there. Doable, but cumbersome.

then the next issue, is after I do that and go the a photo app, I do not see the newly created folder??
I have had to reboot the device, then it seems to recognise the folder.

Then there is the issue of having to go thru 3 different torrent clients before one worked. I downloaded a movie, and had a heck of a time finding where it landed, and how to go about renaming it and getting it where the device would see it?

Am I making sense, or just missing something, that this should be easier, like for the general public, that may not even be savvy about moving files around/

TIA for ANY help, any kind smart folks here can offer.

Diane

2000roadie

Aug 12, 2011
IMO, I have found that Astro works well for me. It makes manuvering the files much easier for finding downloads, finding my movies and creating folders and moving items. You cant get the free version in android market. Give it a try and see if that makes working within the file structure of the A500.

dianehelen

Oct 8, 2011
ok will try that one,. but as for other other questions? What do people who are not really familiar with working with file systems do, AND , what about the having to reboot for any of the media galleries to "see" a new folder of content?

thanks
D

2000roadie

Aug 12, 2011
I found that after getting Astro, I created a folder (Movies for instance) on my Micro card and copied movies from my thumb drive to there. Never had to reboot and my players found them with no problem. All I can recommend is to play with astro and see what it will do in regards to what your looking for.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
What do people who are not really familiar with working with file systems do

They learn.

But seriously, who do you know that can work a tablet in this day and age who does NOT have some experience on Windows or Mac where they are exposed to file systems? The day has not yet come where a persons first exposure to a computer is a tablet.

That day will come, but by then file managers will be on every tablet, and moving files around will be standard practice.

dianehelen

Oct 8, 2011
Ok, thanks, got Astro, very cool, works very intuitively, love the interface. But I wlll still keep Ghost Commander too, as it actually has a built in FTP client, I really LOVE that.

I have another issue, but its not file management related so I'll post it separately.

As for file managment, you'd be surprised how many end user windows people do not have any file management prowess.. I know, cuz they are my customers :)

If its not a desktop icon, they are clueless :)

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
you'd be surprised how many end user windows people do not have any file management prowess..

The type that live within Outlook you mean?

I know this type. I've spent days recovering computers for people that worked only inside of Outlook and had no clue there was any thing else in the world. When Outlook reached its capacity and coughed up a lung, they were totally hozed.

dianehelen

Oct 8, 2011
;) or when a computer crashes and you have to actually retrieve 9 years of outlook data, that has never been backed up, or saved, and depending on which OS, where that illusive outlook.pst file lives hehe. but hey, keeps us employed so we can buy fun toys like tablets huh?