Sony Tablet S Price Drop means...

G37

Jan 3, 2012
I've been pouring over these forums for about two months now getting my fill on the most recent tablet gossip plus current tablet issues for the top consumer android tablets and I wanted to speculate about Sony Tablet S' $100 price drop.If you've been staying on top of the news (and I don't think it is by anyone's surprise) the Sony Tablet S price dropped by $100 for both sizes of the tablet to which I still don't think it is appropriately priced.

None the less, the Sony Tablet S is an amazing product despite the lack of features it possesses with regards to its competition (HDMI out, USB 2.0, Gorilla Glass, etc...). I like the Sony Tablet S mostly because of it's size. 10.1" is too much and way to column like (doesn't feel natural in portrait, and landscape is tough to hold), 7" and 8.9" is too small and even more column like, and it seems like that 9.5" size is perfect especially with its magazine like/off-center design and I believe those attributes make it a prime competitor.

Not that any of the above stuff interests you, lets get to meat of my post. I see the $100 price drop means one of two things (perhaps both):

(1) Sony was behind the game when it released the Tablet S from the get go. With tegra 3 being introduced and many other tablet vendors devoting resources to ushering in their own Tegra 3 product, I'm hoping that Sony will introduce a Tegra 3 tablet soon after this price drop. (2) Usually the price drop is AFTER the press release of a new tablet, however, it could also mean Sony had to make an aggressive move as its competition is already putting these tegra 3 tabs out there as well as relying on the less-informed consumer to not really know the difference between tegra 2 and tegra 3. After all, if you're not tech savvy and you like android, you most likely won't know what Tegra 3 means.

Does anyone else think that Sony will be bringing in tegra 3 sooner than later? I hope so. Aside from its features it failed to deploy, only a small handful of application issues exist (WiFi, SDCard expansion, and some performance) not to mention, they are willing to stick in the game by being the second retailer to confirm ICS for already existing tablets.

I understand that if a vendor is willing to stay within the tablet market for the long-haul, we would expect them to eventually release an ICS tablet. But the matter for me is when. If sony decides to come out with a tegra 3 tablet in early Q2, it might already be too late for them.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Sony's strategy is sometimes difficult to predict, the Tablet P, a device I am quite interested in, still shows coming soon on their website.
Another thing, Sony seems ultimately interested in interoperatability of their devices, and from reading the threads they have had problems here. Rather than releasing a product like the Tablet S too late I believe they actually released it too early.
Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

TheDroid13

Aug 14, 2011
I really have no idea. The inner workings of big companies have always puzzled me, but I really hope that Sony does in fact release a Tegra 3 tab. I was looking to maybe buy the Tablet S, but the idea of much more powerful tablets on the horizon held me back. If you find anything out, please pm me. I'm very interested:)

G37

Jan 3, 2012
Both of you thank you. I think we can say for the majority that many of these tablets have been released prematurely. Perhaps Honeycomb being the biggest culprit of them all. Granted the Tablet S does have some very good qualities some of which will mature more quickly due to Sony's experience in this kind of technology. I'm keeping watch.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
No idea what a Tebra 3 is but for one thing, there is often a price drop after Christmas. For another thing, there is often a price drop after the product has been out for awhile. The Kindle ereader used to be $350. Enjoy your tablets. I'll keep my Sony S.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
No idea what a Tebra 3 is but for one thing, there is often a price drop after Christmas. For another thing, there is often a price drop after the product has been out for awhile. The Kindle ereader used to be $350. Enjoy your tablets. I'll keep my Sony S.

This wasn't meant to be a knock on the Sony, I think it is an awesome tablet, the form factor of the Tablet S is the first non-vanilla Honeycomb tablet out, very unique and actually easier to hold and use. What I was saying is the playstation etc integration wasn't fully developed before release. Personally I don't have a playstation or Sony TV anyway. By the way I REALLY want a Sony Tablet P.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
We knew PS wasn't fully developed and still is not. They did enough to be able to trademark it on tablet. It is only PS1. I can't even find instructions for them and obviously the graphics weren't as good then. When is the Sony P coming out?

Last edited:

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I keep hearing different rumours, different models, but the one thing theatrical gives me hope is Sony states on their site it will start at $499, which means I might actually be able to afford one.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
They must be getting the kinks worked out of it. Is that going to have PS also?

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
They say it will, and I saw some video of it running with the bottom screen dedicated to the controls, looked pretty sweet.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum