Soon to be VTAB owner in need of Wisdom

FuseUnison

Nov 30, 2011
Hi all,

I plan on picking up the VTAB from Walmart either later today or tomorrow.(Decided to finally get a tablet, just couldn't pass up that $198 price tag)

I've already downloaded the USB drivers, and the Quick Start pdf from Vizio's website. After reading through the quick start guide, I'm slightly confused about the initial setup process, and I'm hoping you fine folks might be able to lend a hand.

The quick start makes it seem that the initial "Setup" process should be done first, and THEN it covers charging the tablet. Is this the correct order of doing things? This would make it seem that the tablet comes pre-charged. Is this the case? Most other electronics I own that require charging(my PSP for example) require you to fully charge the product before even turning it on the first time to ensure maximum battery life. Is this not the case with the VTAB1008?

I'm disabled(epilepsy), and cannot drive myself to and fro. I have to rely on rides from friends and family. As such, I REALLY don't want to mess up the battery on the VTAB I come home with, and have to wait an entire day to go back and exchange it for another one.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated, and I hope I was able to explain my worry properly. If I need to clarify anything, please let me know.

- Jacob

==========
EDIT
==========

...Oh, and one last thing! I can't seem to find listed anywhere what the compatible media formats are for the VTAB. Audio(mp3,wma,ogg,etc)or video(mp4,avi,wmv,etc)? Thanks again, sorry to bother.

Last edited:

faithalone

Oct 1, 2011
you will enjoy the vtab - congrats - it will come with a fairly good charge if i remember correctly and batteries of this type do very well for normal use - i can go a couple of days without charging when I am not using my tablet heavily - occasionally you will want to at least allow it to fully charge or do a "top off" rather than just plug it in for a bit and then use it again -

I would do your setup - play with it a bit and then let it charge over night - i personally do not use my tablet while plugging in because the connector does seem like a possible weak spot (search this forum for others who agree) -

Hope that helps!

mui

Nov 28, 2011
Mine had a pretty good charge when I got it home. I don't think the charge or the setup would affect each other so I wouldn't worry about it either way. You can always check the charge indicter before you get started or do like I probably did and set it up while it's on the charger.

FuseUnison

Nov 30, 2011
Ok, thanks everyone! Wow, this forum moves quickly. I didn't expect such prompt replies. Looking forward to future participation with the community! Does anyone know about the compatible media formats(audio-mp3,wma,ogg? -or- video-mp4,wmv,avi?)? Thanks again. =)

rprr

Oct 7, 2011
You will find a bunch of Q&As about the Vizio tablet on the Vizio Website.

Find Answers

One of the questions is about the media formats:

What audio and video file type’s can I use with the Tablet?

Published 08/24/2011 09:07 AM | Updated 08/24/2011 09:09 AM

The file types that can be used with the Gallery Application on the VIZIO tablet are as follows:
WMA, WMV, AVI, MP3, MP4, JPG, JPEG, AAC, ASF, 3GP, H.263, H.264.
NOTE: Some 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party applications downloaded from the Android market may allow you to use other file types. Please refer to the application description for details on what file types are supported.

FuseUnison

Nov 30, 2011
I'd like to thank everyone SO much. You've all been extremely helpful, and I'm glad to see that this is a VERY friendly community. :D

bill2

Nov 17, 2011
Couple of suggestions for a new VTAB owner:

1. Turn off gps (until you actually need it). The VTAB comes with gps turned on and there is no gps icon in the notification bar to remind you that it is turned on. To turn off gps - Menu button > Settings > Location & Security > uncheck Use GPS Satellites

2. Install a launcher app. The stock VTAB home screen is rather limited so if you want a more traditional android home screen you should install a launcher app. Here's a link to an overview of various launcher apps tested on the VTAB. Vizio Tablet and home launcher replacements | RDTK

FuseUnison

Nov 30, 2011

1. Turn off gps (until you actually need it). The VTAB comes with gps turned on and there is no gps icon in the notification bar to remind you that it is turned on. To turn off gps - Menu button > Settings > Location & Security > uncheck Use GPS Satellites

2. Install a launcher app. The stock VTAB home screen is rather limited so if you want a more traditional android home screen you should install a launcher app. Here's a link to an overview of various launcher apps tested on the VTAB. Vizio Tablet and home launcher replacements | RDTK

Thanks for the tips. :)

GringoDog

Oct 28, 2011
Another suggestion from another new vtab1008 owner (happy owner!!!!) - download the Dolphin browser app. A huge improvement.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

GringoDog

Oct 28, 2011

Why and how should I turn off the gps? I don't use it but I do use the current location finder thingy quite often.

sigel

Oct 28, 2011
With apps like Winamp & Rockplayer you shouldn't have any problems playing any media. I also highly recommend seting up a subsonic. (subsonic.org for info) has very good android app.

Dhammer01

Nov 25, 2011
GringoDog,
The reason why you want to turn off the GPS function when not using it as it has a high power drain on your battery.
Just go to settings, "Location and Security" and when there just UN-tick the Use GPS satellites box. Your done. When you want to use it, just tick the box to enable.
Hope this helps.

FuseUnison

Nov 30, 2011
Well.....it looks like I won't be joining the Vizio tablet community after all. Apparently the recent price drop has made it extremely popular for Christmas shoppers. I just finished an entire day of searching, and can't find it in stock ANYWHERE online or off. It's extremely frustrating when a website says that it's in stock only to be informed that it's actually not. Same pattern with brick and mortar stores as well. Thanks for all the help anyway everyone. :(

GringoDog

Oct 28, 2011
Costco still has them in our stores and maybe online?