Southern Telecom Slick WebSurfer 7-inch Touchscreen Wi-Fi Tablet at Walgreens online

theredtiburon

May 17, 2011
Walgreens has a new tablet in their weekly ad for $129. Online only.
Southern Telecom Slick WebSurfer 7-inch Touchscreen Wi-Fi Tablet.

Does anyone have any experiance with this?

Tom

weyerru

Feb 3, 2011
After a bit of searching, I came upon a website with some very generic info about these tablets. This company makes a variety of electronics under a variety of names such as Emerson, Slick, Sharper Image, Bell & Howell, etc. The website is southerntelecom dot com. There is a link on the bottom right under new products that has a short flash intro on internet tablets. No specifics are given, but it's a start. It does show some info such as support for Angry Birds, Flash 10.1, Android 2.2 and HDMI. They also have product support for Slick products, but the internet tablets do not have pdf's posted yet.

Last edited:

weyerru

Feb 3, 2011
I just unboxed the Slick tablet from Walgreens. I wanted to give more info for those considering ordering this item.

In the box (Very Nice packaging):
Tablet (I will review this over the weekend and give some more thoughts later)
Mini USB Male to USB A Female 6 inch cable (Host, I suppose)
Mini USB Male to USB A Male 2 foot cable (PC Connection)
2.5mm to 3.5mm 6 inch headset cable adapter
3.5mm Earbuds
Mini HDMI to HDMI (both male) 2 foot cable
A synthetic Velvety Leather case (Small Portfolio)
Power Adapter (Only 4 feet long)
User Guide
Special Offer on MicroSD card (not so special though 4gb-$20, 8gb-$35, $16gb-50)

About the tablet:
Solid feel and construction
Tactile Buttons (+,-, Home, Power, Menu, Back, Small Reset on Back)
Built in stylus and holder
One speaker on back
MicroSD slot
Mini HDMI port
PC Micro USB port
Host Micro USB port
2.5mm Headset Jack
Small Hole on front appears to be a microphone
No Camera
Small lights on front for Charge and wifi

weyerru

Feb 3, 2011
To clarify my situation. I own a Vegan rooted Viewsonic G-Tablet that I am extremely happy with. My son has grown fond of playing games on it, so this Slick tablet is for him. If there were ROM's available for the websurfer, I would root it also.

The tablet seems up to most tasks. Booting takes a little longer than I would like, but not an eternity. The processor seems quite speedy and screen changes are mostly instant. Installed apps include: Facebook, Twitter, EMusic, NY Times, YouTube, AppManager.

The wifi antenna seems a little weak. When other devices I own can locate a signal, this mostly doesn't find it. When sitting in the same room, some 15 feet away from my home router, the signal indicator shows 2 bars.

The resistive touchscreen works just fine. Typing with the finger sometimes produces the wrong letters, but the stylus eliminates this. Scrolling, holding, and other features are carefree. Viewing angles are adequate, a slight amount of color change is noticeable when sharing the view with someone else.

The battery seems to be short lived. However I have not installed an app or battery manager to ease this issue. I may have some settings that are not optimized yet. Charging takes a few hours, the battery dies in a few hours. Almost a one to one trade. As I work with the tablet and try to improve the battery life, I will add my results.

I have added a few games such as Angry Birds (plays fine), Chuzzle (only in portrait mode), Roller Ball (Works fine, touching correctly takes a little practice , Collapse (Plays fine, takes a little time to load)

I have not added the original AppMarket due to limited time around an internet connection. I have added the Amazon Appstore and it works fine. I have not tried to load flash from the AppMarket, but two different version apk's would not install. I am still trying to resolve the flash issue.

For those interested I think there are better values out there, but this tablet would suffice. I will update when I spend more time with this unit.

thbjr

Jun 5, 2011
@Weyerru: Android 2.1 or Android 2.2?

The tablet Walgreens has on sale is a WS-700, while the one listed on the southerntelcom site is a WR-700. The WS is a 2.1 OS and the WR is the 2.2 OS.
Hope that clears things up.
Tom