Spontaneous resets on A500

biking4jesus

Aug 27, 2011
During the past week my A500 has spontaneously reset itself 3 times. That is, it goes through the complete boot up procedure on its own without my touching anything. Twice it was during the night. The only app running was my alarm clock (Gentle Alarm), which keeps the screen active all night. WiFi was on, so some apps my have been updating data in the background. Once I woke up to see a dark screen. When I touched the power button, the screen came on in the home screen. Another time I woke up just as the boot sequence was starting (my MiniInfo widget was still loading). The 3rd instance was at work. I was streaming music through TuneIn and had my timekeeping app (Time Recording) active. I think the tablet was asleep when it reset.

The most curious thing is that this seems to be some sort of 'unofficial' reset. When I look at device info in SystemPanel, it shows my last reset to be 7 days ago, which was the last tiime I pushed the Reset pin hole. Apparently something in the OS isn't aware of these resets.
I've had the tablet for a year and been on ICS over a month.

Anybody else seeing this?

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
During the past week my A500 has spontaneously reset itself 3 times. That is, it goes through the complete boot up procedure on its own without my touching anything. Twice it was during the night. The only app running was my alarm clock (Gentle Alarm), which keeps the screen active all night. WiFi was on, so some apps my have been updating data in the background. Once I woke up to see a dark screen. When I touched the power button, the screen came on in the home screen. Another time I woke up just as the boot sequence was starting (my MiniInfo widget was still loading). The 3rd instance was at work. I was streaming music through TuneIn and had my timekeeping app (Time Recording) active. I think the tablet was asleep when it reset.

The most curious thing is that this seems to be some sort of 'unofficial' reset. When I look at device info in SystemPanel, it shows my last reset to be 7 days ago, which was the last tiime I pushed the Reset pin hole. Apparently something in the OS isn't aware of these resets.
I've had the tablet for a year and been on ICS over a month.

Anybody else seeing this?
What I see you describing appear to be app restarts, and possibly even restarts of the app launcher, but apparently not a system boot. The time from your last manual reset is apparently the last time the system actually booted. You may want to first verify that any of the apps you have running do not have an option to kill other apps. I'm talking about the various app/task killers available, and some "performance improvement" apps that kill apps to free up memory. If you have any of these running, you should uninstall them.

If you do not have any task killers causing this, then you need some way to monitor what the system is doing when you are not watching. There is an app called aLogrec (like aLogcat, but a recording version) that you can get from the Play Store that will continuously record your system log to a file. It will also catch reboots because it restarts automatically at boot time, so you can see references to various parts of the init sequence in the log if that happens. Depending on the amount of activity, the files may get large so you'll want to check it occasionally so it does not consume all of the user space.

You can also dump the system log via various other methods, including a local shell terminal or ADB, but aLogrec is more convenient for most users. The only drawback I've seen with aLogrec is that it does not print the message times, but you can still use it to understand what is occurring in the background.

Last edited: