Standby mode not working?

koraldon

Aug 2, 2011
Hi,
I have just got my new sylvania 7" LP.
I have been playing aroud with it, but to my surprise two nights now, when I don't power-off the device, just let it "standy-by" i.e. shut off the screen, the device is out of battery in the morning.
Now, when I work with it, I'm fine with the battery life, I just find it very strange that it doesn't seem to have a working standby mode?

Is this the case?

Thanks

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Hi,
I have just got my new sylvania 7" LP.
I have been playing aroud with it, but to my surprise two nights now, when I don't power-off the device, just let it "standy-by" i.e. shut off the screen, the device is out of battery in the morning.
Now, when I work with it, I'm fine with the battery life, I just find it very strange that it doesn't seem to have a working standby mode?

Is this the case?

Thanks

Welcome! It depends on the firmware currently installed on the tablet. Some "new" tablets have been sitting on the shelves for a while and still may have an older firmware which had several issues most notably was telephony and weather processes running in the background even though there is no phone functions on this tablet which led to power drain even in the "Standby" mode.

There are several different hardware versions of the same tablet all running different firmware and file systems, thus different answers for different setups. With a little more information, a more clear answer may already be posted.

koraldon

Aug 2, 2011
Hi there,
I currently have a froyo - d.g. 2.2 installed with hw version .7 in the end (don't have the tablet in front of me)
So should I upgrade the firmware? I have tried the upgrade on the device itself, but like its written here it didn't do anything.

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
So should I upgrade the firmware?

It may NOT be necessary to update. DG2.20 on Hardware ID "hwver" 11.2.0.7 may be the latest.

Easiest option, if still under warranty, is to contact Digital Gadgets Customer Service and report your concern.

For some self help here's a few approaches. You could first attempt a "factory reset (three finger method)" which will wipe everything and set back Settings to default. If either you can't perform or it has no affect on Standby, then you can Root and disable the telephony/weather functions, and/or view the build.prop for the date of the file system. If the file system date is older than the current update beta3 on the update server you could perform a manual update.

build.prop - 11.2.0.7.2.0_beta3.ius
Code:
# begin build properties
# autogenerated by buildinfo.sh
ro.build.id=FRF85B
ro.build.display.id=FRF85B
ro.build.version.incremental=eng.liuqi.20110301.150645
ro.build.version.sdk=8
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.release=2.2
ro.build.date=2011年 03月 01日 星期二 15:08:33 CST
ro.build.date.utc=1298963313
ro.build.type=user
ro.build.user=liuqi
ro.build.host=liuqi-desktop
ro.build.tags=test-keys
ro.product.model=p7901a
ro.product.brand=generic
ro.product.name=p7901a
ro.product.device=p7901a
ro.product.board=
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi
ro.product.manufacturer=unknown
ro.product.locale.language=en
ro.product.locale.region=US
ro.wifi.channels=
ro.board.platform=imap210
# ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device
ro.build.product=p7901a
# Do not try to parse ro.build.description or .fingerprint
ro.build.description=p7901a-user 2.2 FRF85B eng.liuqi.20110301.150645 test-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=generic/p7901a/p7901a/:2.2/FRF85B/eng.liuqi.20110301.150645:user/test-keys
# end build properties

#
# ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES
#
ro.versioncode=10
ro.debuggable=0
persist.service.adb.enable=0
persist.app2sd.enabled=0
ro.suspend.unloadWifiDriver=true
ro.config.notification_sound=OnTheHunt.ogg
ro.config.alarm_alert=Alarm_Classic.ogg
media.stagefright.enable-player=true
media.stagefright.enable-meta=true
media.stagefright.enable-scan=true
media.stagefright.enable-http=true
ro.setupwizard.mode=DISABLED
net.bt.name=Android
dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt

Last edited:

john_tartar

May 3, 2011
But in any case, the standby mode for any device does not consume zero power.
Typicality standby more consumes 10% of the power when on.
If you want to reduce power to zero, turn it off.

koraldon

Aug 2, 2011
hi john,
I'm aware of it, however as I have said i'm happy with the general battery life of the unit - I assume it is something like ~3 hours from full charge. But when I go to sleep and wake in the morning - it's empty... so it is more like 50% consumption...

cfrockit,
I didn't go into all the rooting, frankly I prefer to avoid learning all this new stuff...
If there is no easy solution, I will just power off the device every time.
btw when I upgrade the firmware, how do I back-up my programs/data ?

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
I didn't go into all the rooting, frankly I prefer to avoid learning all this new stuff...
If there is no easy solution, I will just power off the device every time.
btw when I upgrade the firmware, how do I back-up my programs/data ?
Completely understand but be forewarned that this tablet is less than perfect and if you want a hassle free experience this is NOT the device. As in, there is NO back up. Back up consists of keeping a copy of your applications (.apk) on an SD card so you can re-install if something should happen. Thus if you download and install an application directly on the tablet there is no easy method for backup of the settings. There are some backup programs available in the various application markets so you'll have to investigate and test before you really on them to do their job should you lose everything and have to start fresh as often happens with this tablet.