Star Chart

FanNo301

Oct 15, 2011
A great application by Escapist, titled Star Chart, does just that. Turn it on, put in your position, using the GPS; awesome! Turn your instrument to horizontal, hold it up to the sky, it tells you the planets, constellations, etc. It had an update, and said if the accelerometer doesn't work, it's a hardware problem(?) We would not go horizontal, bummer. 'til yesterday! They had a new update, got it; and behold!!!! It works again in horizontal!!! This app is great for star gazing, yes Mars is red. And the constellation graphics are real figures of snakes, horses, well you know...

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet

Conspirator

Feb 10, 2012
Are you sure Google doesnt make it available, or is it that Apple will not allow them to make it available. The nice thing about google is that it is fully open, unlike Apple where they try to keep it a very closed system.

bmw328

May 31, 2012
Are you sure Google doesnt make it available, or is it that Apple will not allow them to make it available. The nice thing about google is that it is fully open, unlike Apple where they try to keep it a very closed system.

Everything I read said Google felt it wasn't a necessity so they wanted to give something to the Android user that the Apple user didn't get.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

May 12, 2012
I am likely the only use here that bought a Vtab specifically for use with astronomy apps and I encourage anyone with even a passing interest in astronomy to get SkySafari. It comes in three versions ranging from a couple bucks to around thirty bucks. I bought the 15 dollar version and it is like carrying around a reference set of Astro text books along with all the customizable star charts you could ever need. It will even drive certain scope mounts for you and has functions for planning observing sessions. It is seriously good.

FanNo301

Oct 15, 2011
Star Chart is amazing. Other than holding it up to the sky, and identifying everything, can see what's coming, what is all the way below, and on the other side of the Earth. Plus 88 constellations!!!

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet