Steps to make your New Nook Color Awesome [rooting, oc'ing and custom roms]

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
I am unable to connect using WiFi after rooting. It says "obtaining IP address..." then status changes to wifi connection unsuccessful.

What to do ?

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I am unable to connect using WiFi after rooting. It says "obtaining IP address..." then status changes to wifi connection unsuccessful.

What to do ?

Should work. Try rebooting or try another internet connection. If it doesn't work with another router/network we can trouble shoot from there.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
My router was turned off!

And it my first reply from my rooted book :)

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
My router was turned off!

And it my first reply from my rooted book :)

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Now I am gonna install CWR and OC' it :)

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Mine is just new, not even stored more than 2 books. So other reasons for that I should take backup ?

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
You are free to do whatever you like to do. It is just my personal preference and habit to make a full backup of my NC (system and data) before I make any major changes to the device. I consider any type of flashing roms, kernels, etc. to be a major change and something to be careful of.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Backing up through clockwork recovery backs up the entire rooted system, so you can wipe and restore it if it gets messed up. You should make a backup before installing kernels or roms. Also make sure you have a copy of the stock kernel in addition to overclock kernel on your sdcard in case you need to revert back to stock kernel.

Reyfam

Feb 9, 2011
Hello All,

First of all, a very big thank you to all the dev teams and forum members for all of their hard work and efforts with the Nook Color. I purchased mine yesterday and followed all of the steps to auto-nooter, install Clockwork and sideloaded up to the current 1.1.0 version.

I'm a total noob here but love to tinker with my Macbook Pro, iPhone, iPad, Google TV, Windows Home Server and most recently with the Coby Kyros 7015 and now with the NC...Love IT:cool:

I noticed that after downloading and installing applications from the market they would not appear in the EXTRAS section until I rebooted the NC. I installed and tested Launcher Pro, Zeam and Launch Pro Ex and discovered that with all of these launchers the downloaded and installed apps would appear in the App Drawer. Is this a known bug or something that I can easily correct? I decided to stick with use the Launch Pro Ex based on my prior experiences with the Kyros.

I'm also considering following the steps to OC the NC and would welcome any thoughts on whether to leave it as is or to OC?

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Hello All,

First of all, a very big thank you to all the dev teams and forum members for all of their hard work and efforts with the Nook Color. I purchased mine yesterday and followed all of the steps to auto-nooter, install Clockwork and sideloaded up to the current 1.1.0 version.

I'm a total noob here but love to tinker with my Macbook Pro, iPhone, iPad, Google TV, Windows Home Server and most recently with the Coby Kyros 7015 and now with the NC...Love IT:cool:

I noticed that after downloading and installing applications from the market they would not appear in the EXTRAS section until I rebooted the NC. I installed and tested Launcher Pro, Zeam and Launch Pro Ex and discovered that with all of these launchers the downloaded and installed apps would appear in the App Drawer. Is this a known bug or something that I can easily correct? I decided to stick with use the Launch Pro Ex based on my prior experiences with the Kyros.

I'm also considering following the steps to OC the NC and would welcome any thoughts on whether to leave it as is or to OC?

That is a known bug. Apps will not appear in extras until reboot, but should appear in app drawer of a replacement launcher right away.

I have mine OC with the 1.1ghz omap kernel and all is fine, but if you are not comfortable with OC the stock 800 kernel is plenty fast. If you overclock use setcpu profiles.

Side note..LCD changer Lite from XDA developers is a good tool to change the spacing of icons, widget, etc on your Nook.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi Reyfam, that is a known issue with the Nook Extras drawer. Once you have your launcher installed though you really don't need to access the apps through extras any more.

I like the OC performance but it is up to you. Many people find the stock set up plenty fast for their needs. In my opinion the OC is worth it just to get setup with CWR which can help you create backups and easly restore your nook to stock should something go wrong in your tinkering.