Steps to make your New Nook Color Awesome [rooting, oc'ing and custom roms]

ShutterPeep

May 3, 2011
Instructions followed and while the nook still looks like a nook, I now have access to the market using Zeam and can add and remove apps. I was also able to install the Kindle app which I found amusing and ironic. The question now is do I leave it looking like a nook with market access or do I take it further and have it look like a regular tablet? I assume i would need to use a different ROM for this.

Forgive the silly questions, still figuring things out.

Sent from my NOOKcolor using Android Tablet Forum

If you take a look at Gloria's thread http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...llpapers/8547-just-screenshoots-new-post.html, you'd see that a lot of customization can be done with the rooted Nook... and not necessarily by using a custom rom. You should be able to take control more of your Nook now that it's rooted. Enjoy!

Stig

Jun 9, 2011
Installed the Phiremod ROM this morning and so far so good. Couple of questions about the Nook and by extension, other Andoid devices:

1. Is there a limit to how many times you can change ROM's?
2. Are there different partitions on the device for boot, OS, and user files?

sm598

Jul 23, 2011
Please, please, please can someone help me? I bought a rooted NC from a friend who bought off a guy on ebay who touted how great this thing is. He even overclocked it. It has droid 2.3.3 and CM7. I can't get it to do much because I can't get Android Market to load. I did go to www.the-e-book-reader.com and was able to follow links to get the gapps.apk on the SD card and then tried to install with all the recovery/rebooting options. When I go under the 'manage applications' options and hit 'all' the only thing I find remotely related to Market is 'Market Apps Installer'. Still no good.

I'm ready to just restore this thing to factory reset and say 'no way' to rooted NC. I appreciate any help anyone can provide.
Thanks,
sm598

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
Please, please, please can someone help me? I bought a rooted NC from a friend who bought off a guy on ebay who touted how great this thing is. He even overclocked it. It has droid 2.3.3 and CM7. I can't get it to do much because I can't get Android Market to load. I did go to www.the-e-book-reader.com and was able to follow links to get the gapps.apk on the SD card and then tried to install with all the recovery/rebooting options. When I go under the 'manage applications' options and hit 'all' the only thing I find remotely related to Market is 'Market Apps Installer'. Still no good.

I'm ready to just restore this thing to factory reset and say 'no way' to rooted NC. I appreciate any help anyone can provide.
Thanks,
sm598

Install and try this file:
http://db.tt/hL1R59Y
Its the new market.install it and tell me what happens.

Sent from Nook Color on Cm7 Nightly 129 @1.300Mhz

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011

MISRy

Sep 4, 2011
Those directions are excellent and you can get Sandisk cards at Wal-mart, (the ones in the red card/package).

Karibes

Feb 5, 2012
Hello,

im new here and i also got a new nook color with version 1.4.1. I'm also a bit scared for upgrading nook color since i havent experimented much with android OS and i dont know if upgrading nook color with version 1.4.1 to gingerbread 2.3 will cause any problems. Please give me any advices since there are so damn(sorry for this) a lot of posts that i can be easily confused -.-!!!

Take care, Karibes

Last edited:

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
Hello,

im new here and i also got a new nook color with version 1.4.1. I'm also a bit scared for upgrading nook color since i havent experimented much with android OS and i dont know if upgrading nook color with version 1.4.1 to gingerbread 2.3 will cause any problems. Please give me any advices since there are so damn(sorry for this) a lot of posts that i can be easily confused -.-!!!

Take care, Karibes

In your case I would recommend you follow the instructions for putting CM7 on an SD card so that you can leave the stock system untouched and still use CM7 when you want to.