Still active?

Franzferdinan51

Jan 25, 2013
Anyone still using this tablet? I'm on 2.3.2 and wanting too root and the update but everything I find is so old in afraid it might be too far out of date

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk 2

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
After briefly "upgrading" to a Samsung Tab 2 10.1, I'm back to my VTAB. I'm hoping Vizio comes out with the 10" tablet they showed at CES this year.

Jim

Franzferdinan51

Jan 25, 2013
Okay that's cool and good too know I say we stir up some ideas out of this tablet

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Still here. There hasn't been too much to talk about as the Vtab1008 is now quite long in the tooth as far as tablets go. Other than an occasional USB port issue (which Vizio has been taking care of) most people are still going strong with theirs though. To root you have to be on the original version of the software. Once updated there have been no known ways of rolling back that far and root will be blocked.

As far as the process and the rooting info those threads are still relevant. Good luck (it isn't that difficult to root following the directions).

JP

Franzferdinan51

Jan 25, 2013
I actually downgraded cuz I found an update. Zip did that now I will follow ur post

IndyOne

Mar 12, 2012
Still using the VTAB as my "daily driver" and it is on HC. Use it for personal email, PIM functions, casual web browsing, and occasional reading. Have a Kindle Touch for my normal reading.

Bought a Kindle Fire HD for my wife for Christmas and am amazed at how much faster the Kindle is than the VTAB. It is like night and day. However I don't like the carousel interface on the Kindle Fire HD.

piaablue

Apr 14, 2012
Still enjoying my VTAB since Christmas 2011. I use it everyday as a portable laptop to my PC with the Splashtop app.

Conspirator

Feb 10, 2012
I still use my tablet everyday. Besides gaming, I also use mine as a vehicle interface with Torque and an ODBII bluetooth doggle. Also wardriving when I travel with WiGLE.

I check this forum a couple times a day and try to answer questions when they come available, but with it being slow at the moment, not many questions to answer. Hopefully when they release the new Android tablet shown at CES it should pick up around here. Hopefully it comes with an unskinned OS. When the VTAB1008 was first shown to the public, it has an open, unskinned OS and we all know how that ended for us. ;)

Philtablet

Jan 13, 2012
I loaned my neighbor my Vizio because his Dell tablet is always out for repair. I use boat browser and of course after about 10 different links the tablet needs a forced reset to clear the cache. The browser still sort of messes up the page with split images but it isn't too horrible to stop using the browser.

I watch netflick movies but I need a headphone plug in the plug to get the tablet speakers to work. I was pricing a Samsung G. Note at around $400, I suppose a Vizio 10" would need to be priced less than $350 to get me interested in it.

Nimble1

Sep 25, 2011
Still use mine most every day and definitely take it on trips instead of my laptop..its even older than my Vtab...LOL I also use it on my boat with the Navionics charts as a chart-plotter.The screen is actually bigger than my GPS plotter. Still working on a good way to mount it on the boat. Yes, its slow compared to newer tablets but it still works fine and I can't justify buying a newer model.

McGiles

Sep 6, 2010
Still using my 1008 mostly for reading at night in bed but of course am frustrated with lack of support and not having the ability to re-root the damn thing after upgrade. It does still squeak by in functionality but I am looking for any excuse to move on to probably something like the new RK3188 CPU maybe 9.7 4:3 format from China maybe. This tab doesn't really owe me a brass farthing but no more from the Vizio company with our lack of support for this one.

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
If you want to see a Vizio 10" tablet, perhaps it would be helpful to go to Vizio's Facebook page and tell them so? I did.

All they're talking about is their Win8 PCs and stuff. I have zero interest in that. (Told them that, too.)

Jim