Still trying to Decide ... Asus or Acer

wcdave

Dec 26, 2011
Hello Forum..
I can get a "re-certified" 32 gig Acer Iconia for $329 or a new 16 gig Asus Slider (I like the keyboard) for $479. I've had a little hands on time in the stores on both (until a No Product Knowledge sales guy just won't leave you alone) and I've done a lot of reading reviews on both. I take way to long to make up my mind.... All opinions welcomed. Thanks.... David

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Welcome to the forum!

IMO, I would not chose either.

The reason - I heard a rumor that Acer is pulling out of the tablet market. Their CEO rebutted the comments and says they plan on staying in the race, but it is a gamble either way. As far as the slider, it is a neat concept, but only 6 hours of battery life?

I have the Transformer and love it. I also have the keyboard dock and it is a nice netbook when I want it, or a tablet when I do not. I regularly get 9+ hours out of the tablet only, or 16 hours with the tablet+dock. I love having the physical keyboard, touchpad , and sub 3 lb weight.

If you are interested in the tablet only, I think the Transformer or Galaxy Tab 10.1 are better than the Acer, but the Acer does have a full sized USB port built in. The Transformer you need the keyboard, or an adapter from ASUS (that is a bit tough to find in some markets).

Plus, ASUS has released the next generation of the Transformer (Transformer Prime) so the price on the TF101's has dropped. You can get a new 16 GB tablet regularly for $300, and on sale for less. There are quite a few used ones on the market (I know a few folks trying to sell theirs too) with accessories since they upgraded to a Prime.

Another thing the Transformer has going for it is that it is the #1 selling Android tablet on the market. It has great support from ASUS, quick firmware updates (they have had 8 firmware updates since June) and they have been the first (major) tablet to get each release of Honeycomb (3.1, 3.2 and 3.2.1) rolled out to their users.

wcdave

Dec 26, 2011
Thank you for the reply folks.. A lot of good info in this Forum. I haven't looked that closely at the transformer. I did't like the idea of not having a USB port without having to buy the dock & I just kinda liked the qwerty board built in. .... but after everything you said I believe I should look into it. Big plus with the battery life and discount. Maybe I can make up my mind by the time the Prime 2 comes out :). Thanks again. Looking forward to getting my Learn On.

BTW.. any word on an ICS update for the TF101's? Thanks.

David

Welcome to the forum!

IMO, I would not chose either.

The reason - I heard a rumor that Acer is pulling out of the tablet market. Their CEO rebutted the comments and says they plan on staying in the race, but it is a gamble either way. As far as the slider, it is a neat concept, but only 6 hours of battery life?

I have the Transformer and love it. I also have the keyboard dock and it is a nice netbook when I want it, or a tablet when I do not. I regularly get 9+ hours out of the tablet only, or 16 hours with the tablet+dock. I love having the physical keyboard, touchpad , and sub 3 lb weight.

If you are interested in the tablet only, I think the Transformer or Galaxy Tab 10.1 are better than the Acer, but the Acer does have a full sized USB port built in. The Transformer you need the keyboard, or an adapter from ASUS (that is a bit tough to find in some markets).

Plus, ASUS has released the next generation of the Transformer (Transformer Prime) so the price on the TF101's has dropped. You can get a new 16 GB tablet regularly for $300, and on sale for less. There are quite a few used ones on the market (I know a few folks trying to sell theirs too) with accessories since they upgraded to a Prime.

Another thing the Transformer has going for it is that it is the #1 selling Android tablet on the market. It has great support from ASUS, quick firmware updates (they have had 8 firmware updates since June) and they have been the first (major) tablet to get each release of Honeycomb (3.1, 3.2 and 3.2.1) rolled out to their users.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
If you really want a keyboard, Get the Transformer, and then buy the ASUS Keyboard dock. (My Christmas present for my TF101/32) I now have a netbook (W00T). I would have waited for the TF Prime, but got anxious back in October. And the Dock has been in use for 8 hours and my Battery is still at 70%

Dec 25, 2011
I just got the 16gb Acer a500 with 3.2 and Acer has confirmed that they will be rolling out the ICS update to their devices... I like all the ports it has... battery life is pretty decent...micro SD and a soon to be fully functioning USB port are a must in my opinion. Haven't had any issues as os yet... picked it up for 300 on a boxing week sale but for the price it is a great tablet.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
If you can get by with the USB port (2) on the keyboard dock the Asus is an al around better tablet than the Acer, with the IPS screen and considerably longer battery life. If USB on the tablet itself is a must the Acer is a nice machine to consider.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

jtsauburn

Sep 15, 2011
Hope you had a merry Christmas! I'd wouldn't go with either. The Transformer beats the Slider or Acer. With it, you have the option of taking the keyboard with you or leaving it behind. That beats the Slider. The Acer doesn't have a keyboard except if you get a bluetooth of wifi keyboard that you have to carry around separately. The transformer keyboard docks seemlessly with the Transformer and adds 2usb ports, a full size sd port and a battery that extends use between charges to approx 15 hrs.

The Transformer's big brother, the Transformer Prime is due out any time now. There's not a lot of use for the power the Prime has compared to the Transformer, and where you will eventually see the difference is with games. For everyday use, the transformer should be fine. That said, I'd wait a short while until the Prime comes out; the Transformer's prices will probably drop then. The other thing to consider is the track record of the manufacturer. I can't speak to Acer, but I've used Asus products for many years and have never been dissapointed. Same true with the Transformer. Asus has been very timely with updates.

If you check out the reviews and recommendations, you will always find the Transformer as the top or 2nd choice of all the tablets. The only tablet that ranked higher sometimes is the Galaxy Tab, but only because it's thinner and lighter, and the Ipad, because of all the apps for it. In my book, The Transformer beats all other tablets hands down. The tablet alone compares favorably to any other tablet, and with the keyboard it beats all others hands down. The Transformer has won several awards as tablet and product of the year. While there aren't as many apps for the Transformer as there are for the Ipad, there's plenty of apps for just about anything you want.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

wcdave

Dec 26, 2011
Much thanks jtsauburn. I appreciate everyone's input. Not too many friends here to talk with about it.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
No official word on ICS for the TF101 yet. Same on the TF201.

Actually in an interview, can't remember the name of the guy from Asus, when he was showing off the Prime he specifically said the TF101 would be getting ICS. Given how fast Asus pushes out updates it should be among the first to get it. Should be able to track down the video I would think.

Wait, you probably mean by official word a release date?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum