Still worth buying?

H

HenrietteK

Hi
I'm looking to buy a tablet but I'm having trouble deciding :) I'm looking for a 7 inch so the choices right now are the Samsung Galaxy Tab, the Acer Iconia A100 and the HTC Flyer. I'm not sure whether 3.0 is the way to go right now. The prize of the A100 and the Tab is the same here. Which to buy?

Thanks

/Henriette

Sent from my E10i using Android Tablet Forum

mister_ed

May 1, 2011
Choosing hardware should be the last step in the process. First you should define your needs - or wants or desires. Then decide which software will meet them, and finally what hardware will run the software.

Of course all of this has to happen while keeping in mind the externals such as time and money. How much do you spend now, and how soon will you replace the device? Are you willing to wait for a product that isn't on the market yet?

If your needs include being on the leading, bleeding edge, then you'll just have to have Honeycomb! And of the three tablets you mention, of course it'll be the Flyer. And you'll have to wait, just a little.

If your needs include an OS and apps that are made for tablets, again, you'll need Honeycomb. Even then, I'll bet there will be apps that never really do get tweaked well for larger screens, some of which will have a 4:3 form factor and some 16:9, and the difference may be more noticeable on large screens than it is on smaller ones.

Are you okay with the manufacturer's stock ROM, or do you want/need to change it, possibly removing programs that not only take up storage space but which launch themselves and eat operating memory too?

And keep updating in mind. Some manufacturers keep on top of it, and some don't, and some stop updating their older models when they're not so old at all.

I don't know about Galaxy Tabs that are wifi only, but the Sprint/Verizon versions in particular have essentially no modded ROMs. (That said, I've really enjoyed my Sprint SGT Samsung Galaxy Tab.) Hard to say what will happen with the Flyer, in terms of both stock updates and mods.

Two suggestions from outside the possibilities you mentioned:

1) For a lower-cost alternative that shines when rooted, especially with something like Cyanogen Mod installed, you might consider the Nook Color. Bust it open this way, and it's an Android tablet pretty much like any other, though with a clock speed that won't help your cred around people who think they're ubergeeks.

2) Wait a month or three or five, and your list will be overflowing! Manufacturers are creating new tablets as fast as they possibly can. Maybe something will catch your eye and be more appealing, either by hardware specs, by the prospect of future updates, or by price.

Good luck and have fun!

-- Ed

H

HenrietteK

Thank you for your very nice answer to my question. I have access to only a very limited amount of different tablets, so smaller brands isn't an option. Being in the EU the tab would be a GSM version.
Normally I like getting the newest new, but I'm having second thoughts this time because of all the 3.0 issues I've read about. I want to be able to do at least what I can do on my phone - and more! Also I'm a bit worried about whether all the app devs will skip 3.0 and wait for the combined OS - leaving me with a useless and very expensive toy.
I've looked at the Flyer but the prize is a joke.

mister_ed

May 1, 2011
It may be prudent to wait if you don't have a burning work-related need for a tablet this month. Prices may go down with competition - or at least not go up (much) as features are added.

The first-generation hardware that companies rushed to get out the door will be replaced with better designs. Obvious flaws in Android 3.0 will be patched with 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 and then 3.1.

Of course you don't have to stay with Android. (I didn't say that!) I read a headline somewhere that Ubuntu aimed at netbooks works on tablets. OLPC may crank something out. And there's the Linuxy WeTab.

There will be (much) better Windows tablets than are available at the moment. RIM and HP will be in the running for at least a little while. (I'm not so sure either one will last in tablets, but that's just me.)

And ... what was that other company? Grape? Banana? Oh, it'll come to me.

-- Ed

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
I laughed for like 10 minutes when I read that. I wouldn't go with an ipad because I own an ipod touch and I use the super pad more than I do the ipod. I KNOW that I wouldn't use an ipad.

Sent from my SuperPAD using Android Tablet Forum

lopeti1

Jan 6, 2011
I brought a galaxy tab 7 inch for an insane $120 USD on a 2 year contract here in New Zealand small enough to carry around and put in my pocket ...I have no regrets....

mister_ed

May 1, 2011
I brought a galaxy tab 7 inch for an insane $120 USD on a 2 year contract here in New Zealand small enough to carry around and put in my pocket ...I have no regrets....

Good price! I really like the 7" form factor, too. Though it can get annoying after too much web surfing - some pages just don't fit well. But I had spent lots of time with a Kindle, which is the same size machine but a 6" screen. Lots of time. So I knew going into the Galaxy Tab that it was a comfortable size for me.

uplade3 said:
I own an ipod touch and I use the super pad more than I do the ipod.

Wow - The Superpad got really blasted on Amazon! A third of the reviews are only 1 star! Does it really work for you? Screen-touch is sensitive enough? Have you stayed with the stock ROM it came with?

-- Ed

jbjtkbw00

May 2, 2011
New to the forum, but I just got my Galaxy Tab on T-Mobile here in the states for $149. I originally wanted to get a Nook Color and get kids books on their for my 3 1/2 year old daughter, but I couldn't beat this deal. I'm not so sure I'm going to let her play with it now. And yes, this 7" form factor is fantastic and the guy sitting across from me in the office got a little annoyed when he say me walking around with the Tab in my back pocket. Take that iPad!

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
Everything works perfectly. The screen is SO sensitive. I upgraded the rom to the officially updated rom but I don't notice a difference. I really recommend it!

techmunkey

May 7, 2011
I have a TMO Galaxy Tab. I love it! 2.2 is showing it's age and I would love to see 2.3 or 3.0 on the SGT. I can tell you my favorite feature. It fits in my pocket. I was at the park recently and I observed a Ipad owner drop his 3 times on a padded surface while chasing his kids. I have 2 small children and it is perfect for them to hold. I constantly have a crowd around me at work when using it. 2 Words Gorilla Glass! I love not using screen protectors!

H

HenrietteK

Ended up getting one :) Thank you for all the answers.

H

HenrietteK

Will do :) Until now I've only had the chance to charge it - haven't even turned it on for the first time :eek: