Stop Automatic Updates

roly01

Nov 16, 2011
Is there any way to stop or block the tablet from checking for updates. i keep getting the popup to update to the new version but i dont want to lose the root so is there anyway to stop this?

BPisMe

Nov 16, 2011
Sorry if this is a stupid question. I don't see the "Freeze" option in Titanium Backup Pro. I want to make sure I get it right. I already killed one VTAB and don't want to make it two.

Could someone post the basic instuctions?

Thanks...Brad

Edit: I found it. For anyone else wondering, Select "Backup/Restore" tab long press the app that you want to freeze (such as Vizio Update Service) and choose "Freeze".

I restarted after freezing the update service...no problems and no more nagging.

Last edited:

Maine_Coon

Nov 19, 2011
Warning:
Do NOT use other apps to freeze Vizio Update Service.
Only Titanium Backup Pro.

There were reports from people bricking their vtabs after trying to freeze Vizio Update service w/other apps.

FanNo301

Oct 15, 2011
Switch to no reply, they will email when there is an update.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

BPisMe

Nov 16, 2011
Yes, I was one of the reports on Bricking after freezing the Update Service. I had not used Titanium Backup to freeze last time but I learned my lesson. All is good this time using TB.

Brad

usproject14

Dec 20, 2011
I just baught this today "my first tab", it came with build 1.9.56. first thing it wants to do when hooking up to the internet is update. gives you no choice but to say yes or push the power button, hence no market to get apps. anyways I just copied the system tuner app from my evo and side loaded that. That app allows you to just uncheck any of the systems startup files. no risk of freeze deletes or anything. anyways, im just a noob tryin to help out any other noobs.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I just baught this today "my first tab", it came with build 1.9.56. first thing it wants to do when hooking up to the internet is update. gives you no choice but to say yes or push the power button, hence no market to get apps. anyways I just copied the system tuner app from my evo and side loaded that. That app allows you to just uncheck any of the systems startup files. no risk of freeze deletes or anything. anyways, im just a noob tryin to help out any other noobs.

On the Vtab1008 you can use the home button (v button) to navigate away from the update screen. Then you can use your tablet as normal with occasional pop-ups asking you to update. Just hit home again.

Blwnv8

Dec 19, 2011
Yes, I was one of the reports on Bricking after freezing the Update Service. I had not used Titanium Backup to freeze last time but I learned my lesson. All is good this time using TB.

Brad
Going to get tb to stop the update. Could you share with us all what app you used when you tried freezing and bricked your tablet. Thanks

Hemingray

Aug 26, 2011
I was able to use an app called "LBE Privacy Guard" to deny the update service internet connectivity. While it still runs, it cannot access the internet. (Droidwall doesn't work on the VTAB sadly)