Stop Google Taking Over MeMO 7HD

TickledBlue

Oct 10, 2013
If you turn your tablet OFF (not sleep) at night, does it do a full boot up in the morning?

Until last night it was Sleep. Last night it was off and took about a minute or more to boot this morning. But, note that with it really off, the modem showed no traffic last night.

Nope, nothing else here that uses wifi. This statement may start a fire-war, but there will **never** be an over-priced and under-featured "i-anything" device on this property. :)

Don't have TV but do watch DVDs and Netflix sometimes, but that is streamed on the other PC I mentioned and that too is off. In fact that is an older laptop with no battery so when it is off it is really off. It is so old it doesn't even have built in wifi.

Trust me when I say, the ONLY wifi is the ASUS MeMO 7HD. The Fire and Paperwhite are in plastic bags in the garage, no longer in use.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Send me your fire and paperwhite. I'm sure both can be put to good use here. :)

TickledBlue

Oct 10, 2013
Nah, well, yeah. They will be permanent gifts to them. Grandparents are expected to spoil grand-kids. :)

TickledBlue

Oct 10, 2013
In case anyone is interested, I was able to wrest control from google. To do so I had to assign Developer status and then I could go into the Apps section and Force Stop and Disable pretty much anything I wanted.

To get to Developer status, go to
Settings
About Tablet
Build number

Quickly tap the build number 7 times. After about 4-rapid-taps it will show a message "only 3 more to go to Developer" or something like that.

Be warned that I have not found how to undo the Developer status other than a factory reset. Not a big issue for me to leave it as Developer, but if others use your tablet, they could wreak some havoc in the Apps section.

Dickman

Nov 30, 2013
Do the thing you don't want to do, and root. Then you can freeze (prevent from starting) the apps using an app for the purpose from the Play Store, or outright remove them if you so desire.

Keep in mind that the inclusion of the Google apps is Asus' choice. Google does not force manufacturers to include Google apps when using Android, and in fact there are more than a few third-tier tablet manufacturers that don't include Google apps at all. The point here is that your ire is slightly misplaced. While I understand you being upset at Google, I'd be more upset at Asus in your shoes.

The OP's point is still valid. It's the Google Force he's complaining about. And you're right, it's Asus who's to blame here. One wouldn't think Asus to be so close to Google's hip but they are apparently.So it's really a Nexus with an SDslot. I didn't quite get that when i bought one, and it is a point to consider before buying. The Google integration into the system is an irritant to many, including me.
Makes me think that Asus really wanted to stay very close to the Nexus and maybe it's a selling point. A better one would be a proper Asus with a stripped Android OS where the user can pick and chose. My HD7 has issues that look like it's got something to do with Google (system crash/ no system access) but that's in another thread

Dickman

Nov 30, 2013
It's actually NOT ASUS' fault. Google forces everyone to submit to its rules. You don't play within the system you're out on the streets with...nobody. We've come a long way from Open Source (when Google needed it) to closed shop (when Google got the power). With all the security issues involved and no control over fundamentals one cannot resist a growing sympathy for Apple, something i would rather not admit too. Theirs is a pretty closed system but you don't have to give up your soul to them. Google really is Big Brother closing doors and building bigger prisons. The rat is never far away, especially for companies looking for alternatives: make that if your company IS looking for alternatives you will be dead.'do no evil' is actually a warning sign to those within the Google framework.
To get back to the original reply: Yes, ASUS couldve gone at it alone, building it's own architecture like Samsung shying away from Google. But limiting yourself in the app market with just your own you need something else that people want, like Amazon's services. ASUS is just a company/manufacturer without a foothold. Also, in the budget market people just want access to different platforms. If Android then Google then slavery.