Strange incompability with Google Play apps.

ZelenHimihal

May 11, 2013
Hello guys!
I have a very strange problem with my PM5580C tablet (8 pro duo)
So i bought it 4 months ago and a week ago some fabric problem came up with my screen.I had a warranty card so they had to give me a new tablet, which I got yesterday.
I was really happy, until I wanted to get some of the games I had on the previous tablet.When i went to google play, 70% of what I used to have as games on my Tablet were shown as incompabitible with my device.
Now, since it has 4.1.0 Android, I dont think that should be a problem, because they only require 2.2, at least some of them.
So is there a solution for this problem?Thanks!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Did your tablet come with Google Play preinstalled? Did you change anything on the old tablet, such as the build.prop file?

Compatibility with specific Android versions is not the only factor in determining whether an app is compatible with the tablet in the Play Store. The available hardware can also make a difference. For example, my Coby would not run Facebook because it doesn't have a built-in GPS and as a result does not have the XML file relating to the GPS in /system/framework. I had to add that XML file to /system/framework, which was enough to get Facebook to run on my tablet.

ZelenHimihal

May 11, 2013
Did your tablet come with Google Play preinstalled? Did you change anything on the old tablet, such as the build.prop file?

Compatibility with specific Android versions is not the only factor in determining whether an app is compatible with the tablet in the Play Store. The available hardware can also make a difference. For example, my Coby would not run Facebook because it doesn't have a built-in GPS and as a result does not have the XML file relating to the GPS in /system/framework. I had to add that XML file to /system/framework, which was enough to get Facebook to run on my tablet.

Thanks, man, for the response!
Well, yeah my tablet came with google play preinstalled and no i havent changed anything on my old one, they are the same!
Its really strange, I cant even play games like Temple run, Icy tower etc, I should defienetly be able to run them!

Also whats even more strange, i tried downloading a game i used to play (Icy tower 2) through googling and downloading apk file manually, did that and installed succesfully but when I try to run it it says the application has stopped.
Now thats really strange, i used to play Icy tower for months on my old tablet...

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The hardware in the tablet has to have changed and it's the only possible explanation here. This is surprisingly common for tablets manufactured for the Chinese market as well as third-tier companies like Coby here in the United States. For example, Coby has changed the hardware in its MID-9742 tablet (the tablet I have) at least three times. Each time the drivers changed, meaning all three versions of the tablet use different screens.

In the case of your tablet, it's rendered apps you used to play incompatible. If you're rooted, you may want to look into editing your build.prop file to have the Play Store think you're using a Samsung Galaxy S II or perhaps a Nexus 7 or 10.