Strange Question - Charging off a generator?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I'm around this kind of stuff quite a bit and don't always remember to add the additional descriptions for new players.

No problem Strider, happens to me all the time.:)

I think this discussion has come to the point where Dan has the information he needs to decide what to do, and that should be whatever Dan feels most comfortable with.

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
Thanks guys. I see I came to the right place, I really appreciate the info.

All this is way above the electronics class I took 15 years ago, haha. I think I will not worry. Basically in airplane mode, I will get about 10 or more hours of use so I may not even need to charge it... however since I do tend to be overprotective, I will probably grab a UPS even though I may not need it.

Have a great weekend.

Dan

kierandill

Feb 8, 2011
Thanks guys. I see I came to the right place, I really appreciate the info.

All this is way above the electronics class I took 15 years ago, haha. I think I will not worry. Basically in airplane mode, I will get about 10 or more hours of use so I may not even need to charge it... however since I do tend to be overprotective, I will probably grab a UPS even though I may not need it.

Have a great weekend.

Dan

If you can get one in your price range, get a UPS with Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR). This keeps the output to your devices steady regardless of how high or low the wall outlet is.

alphawave7

May 1, 2011
If you can get one in your price range, get a UPS with Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR). This keeps the output to your devices steady regardless of how high or low the wall outlet is.

Look for AVR, or search for 'power conditioning' in sales descriptions...this functions regardless of charge state of the UPS. Enjoy the cabin, lucky dog! :)

ahclem

Jul 25, 2011
+1 on getting a small, inexpensive UPS.

That's probably a good idea if you may want to plug in something else later, and not worry about the line quality. But keep an eye on a UPS if you get one. It may be very sensitive to frequency and voltage changes, so much so that it's running off its own battery a lot. If it does and its battery goes dead, you're back to just plugging the A500 adapter directly into the generator.

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
Thanks guys -

So my trip is in just a couple of weeks. Wondering what your thoughts are on this:

Amazon.com: APC Back-UPS ES 8 Outlet 550VA 120V: Electronics

The nice thing about something like this, it would enable me to bring my Tascam multi-track too, which I wasn't even considering due to generator fears. I can see a UPS being a great addition to someone who has multiple electronics that they want to tote to the middle of nowhere.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
That should do very nicely, and you can use it at home to give yourself a little Save/Shutdown time in the event of a power failure.:cool:

Last edited: