Streaming Home network files to Tablet through DLNA

duncsmit

Dec 7, 2011
Im very happy with my sony tablet, there is only been 1 thing i cant do - and from what ive read it is probably not possible, however maybe someone else has come across a program or trick?.....

I have a wireless data station (Iomega iconnect) that streams all my music, videos, doccuments and photos. this is UPnP™ DLNA Certified® AV Media Server. My ps3, Sony Bravia TV, laptop all connect to this and can see and play all the files. The problem is that although the sony tablet can connect to the network and see everything through the dlna app, it cannot play any video. I know it CAN'T play .avi files without one of the specialty players.... but none of those players have a way of accessing the dlna, or do they? (im not interested in converting a few terabytes of video to a different format too)

anyone have any ideas or programs to give a shot, or is this a sort of kryptonite for all android players??

-thanks for the responses :)

krompi

Dec 8, 2011
Hi,
i do have a WD 2TB NAS with a twonky media server pre-installed. The files (in the public folder) are displayed on my Sony Tab without any configuration using the standard apps installed.

To view AVI files on my tab, I use the combination of MX video and Bubble UPnP (both apps are free on the Andorid Market). I'm not sure, if I need Bubble UPnP, but since i have already used both apps on my HTC Desire, I just followed the same way on my tab.

Hope the information helps you

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
Astro is another good file manager application.

Sent from Rob's TapadaIconia :D

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
If you use ES File Explorer or File Manager HD (not sure if this works on the Sony tablets) you can stream directly from your network shares to the player of your choice whilst at home. No need to copy files first.

If you set up an FTP server and do port forwarding and have a fast enough upload connection you can even use ES File Explorer as an FTP client and stream it remotely.

gadgyt

Dec 11, 2011
To convert my video files I use Motion man by blinksoftware.com which I have found is very good free software.

Manky

Jan 8, 2012
Use skifta, from the market it will work. Load on Sony tab and your PC, done, follow directions I can watch movies from my PC to ps3 and to the Sony tab no problems.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum