Strong sales for Acer Iconia A500

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
The Acer is almost a pure Android device, there is really no need for custom roms or development aimed directly at the Acer.
It will be able to take advantage of anything that comes down the pipe.
Development starts in earnest after 3.1 comes out. Anyone starting development with 3.0.1 will probably have to do
a bit of work to take advantage of what 3.1 has to offer, and I suspect most devs are just waiting.

These sales numbers exceed the much over-hyped Asus Transformer,
in fact I believe Acer is the front runner these days, at least in 10.1 inch.

ScottW714

May 26, 2011
I went to Best Buy and Micro Center to check out the tabs. Really interested in the ASUS and Acer, but the ASUS was $50 cheaper. The tablet areas were full of people wanting to check them out, several people at both stores including myself asked about the ASUS. Neither place had them nor did they know when they would.

I have an Archos 101 and just went there to check out Honeycomb, thinking if I liked it I might get a tab in the near future. The Acer sold itself, I was amazed beyond words. I would also add, the people with issues, not to dismiss them, but the Archos is nothing but issues, you have no idea, this thing is a Cadilac.

My point above, ASUS idiotic production/distribution chain has got to be helping Acer sales. They got me afterall, no way was I waiting an inderminant amount of time for $50. I am glad I did, I just figured out it has real GPS, not triangulation/Wifi. My G2 phone is a Hotsot so I tested it out in the car. Works like a champ as a 10" GPS, it uses satellites for location, but needs internet access for Google Maps. I use My Maps all the time and I was blown away by having them as well as my location, something I have always wanted.

ASUS has got to be kicking themselves for not having their cheaper product available.
I know some will wait, but many more won't anf the numbers of people checking them out was surprising.

As a side note, after my horrid Archos tablet, no way was I going to buy another via the internet. Went a month w/o the tab so they could repair it, a wekk later same issue, and by that time I could send it back to where I bought it. Had I bought it locally I could have replaced it in 30 mins and rgot a new one. The sales tax I saved cost me.

Nate Rules

Jan 14, 2011
This is good news. I think the usb port makes the Acer the best tablet available. But, had the Transformer been available I would have gotten it. Only because I was worried that the Iconia wouldn't be popular enough to interest the devs and accessory makers. I'm glad I was wrong.

drozas

May 1, 2011
To be fair, there was a giant earthquake & tsunami that disrupted their distribution chain.

Sent from my A500

May 10, 2011
While I agree that the earthquake may have put a ding in Asus production/distribution, isnt Acer based from the same place as Asus? Thy don't seem to be having too many problems getting them out to stores and what not. I think it may have more to do with Asus using the ips screen and apple is buying all of them up. Lol

jmlivingston

Nov 17, 2010
Where a company is based (both are in Taiwan, BTW) has almost nothing to do with where their products are manufactured or parts are sourced from. Almost nobody assembles their own electronics anymore, that is done by specialties companies such as Flextronics or Quanta. I'll bet most of you never heard of Quanta before, and would be surprised to know they are the worlds leading manufacturer of laptops and notebooks.

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
These sales numbers exceed the much over-hyped Asus Transformer,
in fact I believe Acer is the front runner these days, at least in 10.1 inch.

I've seen very little hype for the transformer other than on reviews and the Hardforum. However, the Acer has prime-time commercials!