Stuck in MTP mode: MID7065

herhite

Jun 7, 2013
Hi,

I just got a Coby MID7065 for the purpose of learning Android development.

I put the device into MTP/Media Device mode while I was becoming familiar with the Android interface, and I have been unable to get it out of MTP mode. I believe that this is what is causing my device to not be detected by adb and the Android Development Tools.

Things I have tried to get out of MTP mode:
1. Settings > Storage > USB Connections, and then uncheck the MTP box. For the love of God, the box will not uncheck no matter how many times I tap it.
2. Factory reset. I have tried a factory reset and restoring the device to factory defaults. No luck; the MTP check box remains checked.
3. Stopping the "Media Storage" app/service in Settings > Apps > All. No effect.
4. I'm new to Android, but I did root the device with the tools that Vampirefo provided (thanks!) I don't know whether I should have expected that to have any effect, but it didn't.

So I'm out of ideas. Does anyone know how to fix this problem so that I can finally move on with development? Thanks.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Last edited:

herhite

Jun 7, 2013
I'm actually using OSX, and I did try Fedora 17 as well (haven't used windows in 6 years, except for malware analysis.)

Well, I did use windows XP in a VritualBox to see if that would make any difference. It asked for a driver, and I was able to install it by modifying the .inf file. The device was "successfully installed" but still not detected by adb. I'll try okidave's advice for windows after I install everything again, but do you have any advice for why the device isn't detected in OSX or Fedora? I've tried connecting many of my friends' phones and tablets, and they all seem to be detected properly. The reason I thought that MTP might be the problem is because my friends' devices are no longer detected when they are put in some sort of "media mode" (the terminology seems to be different on other devices.)

Thanks for your quick response, by the way.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
add 0x16d5 to your adb_usb.ini

Code:
# ANDROID 3RD PARTY USB VENDOR ID LIST -- DO NOT EDIT.
# USE 'android update adb' TO GENERATE.
# 1 USB VENDOR ID PER LINE.
0x16d5

herhite

Jun 7, 2013
My God, it worked! Thanks so much. For anybody else who might stumble upon this thread with the same problem, the adb_usb.ini file belongs in your ~/.android folder. If it does not exist, create it and put into it the info that vampirefo has provided.
add 0x16d5 to your adb_usb.ini
Code:
# ANDROID 3RD PARTY USB VENDOR ID LIST -- DO NOT EDIT. # USE 'android update adb' TO GENERATE. # 1 USB VENDOR ID PER LINE. 0x16d5