Successful Overclock

FoFoJoe

Jun 8, 2011
I used this kernel-
Kernel 2.6.36.4-thor-V1.15

And am running 1.6GHz, which is quite the noticeable improvement over the standard 1 GHz. Anyone else been successful at this, or gone higher?

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

bigdaddy_mike

Aug 19, 2011
I used this kernel-
Kernel 2.6.36.4-thor-V1.15

And am running 1.6GHz, which is quite the noticeable improvement over the standard 1 GHz. Anyone else been successful at this, or gone higher?

didw you do it with stock or custom rom?

HD87

May 14, 2011
Im on richardtrips 3.4 kernel, OC at 1.6 Mhz, set with setCPU.

Last edited:

FoFoJoe

Jun 8, 2011
Umm I believe im on clockwork mod.. not sure exactly this was done at like 3am.. I don't think its stock though.

SSTGohanX

Sep 14, 2011
Now I have been using Linux for years, and this is going to sound like a noob question; but how exactly do you modify the kernel to overclock this? I am new to this tablet- I'm actually waiting for it to arrive in the mail [Friday ETA]. So, might I ask; how do you go about doing this? I'm assuming it's just not an "app" as what you could assume would be on an android phone? Or is it?

Also 1.6ghz dual core eh? This has got to be a fun tablet, especially for dual boot :D lol.

MrBlazito

May 8, 2011
is there some kind of stress testing software for android to test the stability of overclocked cpu?

FoFoJoe

Jun 8, 2011
Stress testing, well I just use it :p but what I've been told, and what I've figured out, 1.6GHz is kinda unstable, but back at 1.504GHz, she runs like a charm ;) and 1.6GHz can just be used for stressful situations, but I keep it set at .604GHz to 1.504GHz, and love it

Now for the first question, first you must root your tablet. Not sure if your familiar with this, but there's basicly an app you run (by sc2k @Xda forums, called iconia root) to gain 'superuser' access, that being like a gateway to the rest. Then go to the market and install Acer Recovery Installer and reboot with Clockwork Mod recovery. For overclocking, find the kernel I have listed up there, download the file and put it on an SD card. Then start your Tab in recovery mode, (hold power button and up volume button until words appear in the top corner) and at the menu, select 'wipe cache', then go into advanced settings and wipe the 'dalvik cache'. Then select install zip from SD card, then the kernel. It flashes it, then just boot the Tablet normally. Last step, go into the market, get any app like SetCpu, then set the CPU at 1.504 or 1.6GHz, and your finished! Its not as complicated as it seems, and I did not lose my memory. But just in case, I would back up any important media and whatnot. Good luck, and PM me if anything goes wrong.

koorpen

Jun 12, 2011
For overclocking, find the kernel I have listed up there, download the file and put it on an SD card.
And from where do I download the kernel 2.6.36.4-thor-V1.15? :confused:
Can´t find kernel i the CWR menu so can you describe the procedure a little more precise I would be most grateful.

koorpen

Jun 12, 2011
Thanks. Of course I made some mistake (saved by CWR) but now it´s oveclocked and as you mentioned it´s a noticeable improvement.

Comicfan

May 2, 2011
I ran the Vellamo test a few times with different settings. But isnt it pretty useless to overclock the device and then use a battery saving app since you're going for the best performance anyway?

Stock settings 1000Mhz max. with juice defender on "balanced"= 978
Stock settings 1000Mhz max. without a battery app: 983

overclocked on 1.54 without a battery app: 1222 :eek:
overclocked on 1.54 with Juice Defender on "balanced": 1165
overclocked on 1.54 with Power Saver on "1": 1036
overclocked on 1.54 with Power Saver on "2": 999
overclocked on 1.54 with Power Saver on "3": 955 :(