Superpad has a screen HOT spot...

geofferyh

Jan 4, 2011
My Superpad has a black oval about 3/4"H x 1"W in the lower right corner of my screen that is being caused by a hot motherboard component. The lower right corner being that corner with has the ethernet RJ-45 jack at the side.:(

I am wondering if anyone has any idea what is causing this to happen.:confused:

Any help appreciated.:)

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
Yet another thread about this?

Ive told you that all the mainboard components are NOT on the screen-side of the board. For the mainboard to be generating enough heat for the screen to screw up would be enough to melt solder from the device(s) getting hot! :eek:

Have you opened it up yet to see if something on the BACK of the display is getting hot?

geofferyh

Jan 4, 2011
The below instruction I found in another thread, and slightly modified by me, allowed me to open my Superpad to locate the problem source.

How to open a Superpad (FlyTouch 2) without assembly screws:

You'll need a 3mm or smaller flat blade screwdriver and a dull single edged razor blade to pry the "screen assembly" from the case.
1. Beginning in the left hand side corner, where the pen holder is, then downwards, just "lift the display step by step!"​
2. Then, from the left hand speaker to the right hand speaker.​
3. Then, from the lower left corner to the lower right corner.​
4. Then, at the side with the SDCard Slots and connectors.​

Be very carefull in the lower right corner, remember the touchscreen ribbon connector plug is there. Also, be cautious of the video board ribbon connector plug and the stereo speaker wires as you lift the touchscreen assembly off the motherboard case. Cautiously Unplug (pull) the narrow touchscreen ribbon from the connector. Do the same for the wide video board ribbon from its connector. Cautiously pry the ends of each speaker from its mounting.

The photo's give you a very good view of the motherboard and the backside of the touchscreen assembly. Since I have never opened a Superpad, or any other tablet, I did not know (and nobody mentioned it) there was a circuit board (video board?) attached to the backside of the touchscreen that is positioned directly above the motherboard.

$Inside Superpad Case.JPG

$Backside Superpad Screen2.jpg

The closeup view of the corner of the affected board shows the component that causes the black oval shaped hot spot on the screen of my Superpad.

$Backside Superpad Screen1.JPG:(

Now, if I can only figure out what the component is and why the component is running hot. Stay tuned...

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
VERY GOOD... That was about what I expected you would find.

Logic suggests that the part in question is related to the power generation/control to brighten the LEDs...

So... either something on that board is forcing too much power thru that part, or the LEDs themselves are, collectively or singularly, drawing more current than they are supposed to, and when the control reaches a certain point, this part overheats and causes the LCDs to react to the heat.

That, I BELIEVE, is a choke coil... likely part of a filter to keep the screen lighting 'stable'... or not 'flickering'.

Please check the other thread again... I believe I DID suggest that a board on the backside of the screen could be at fault. If I did in fact NOT, Im sorry, as I thought I had.
I can also tell from the images that this is a Superpad (1) type (2 tf slots)... I suspect you will be able to find replacement parts/screen... but if not, I have a spare I would be willing to sell... unless I get my NAND-chip-replacement completed before then! :p

... and no, it does NOT fit the computer in my avatar. :D

EDIT:
Some of those traces in the last image look to be broken... or is it just the camera angle?

Last edited:

geofferyh

Jan 4, 2011
I think that since the entire digitizer screen is still active (even in the area of the "black spot") and the LCD screen seems to function well at a 50% brightness level, the root problem is most likely the graphics card.

I have been trying to find parts on the internet and the only thing that seems to be readly available is the digitizer screen.

If someone has a bricked 10.1" Flytouch 2 or Superpad 1, I would entertain purchasing it. If anyone knows of an online parts source for this tablet, please let me know.

Meanwhile, thanks for your input leeb. I appreciate your efforts.

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
Just in case you arent aware...

The digitizer is the glass layer ABOVE the screen itself (the outer surface of the black plastic shell). In fact they can be replaced SEPARATELY.

good luck.