Sylvania Synet 7LP 7" Android OS 2.1 MID 1GHZ/HDMI Tablet

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Yes but first you have to get the market installed on the sylvania. For that I made modified version of the google experiance install from the PDN. Still tweaking it and looking for a non emulator fix. Since My a101 is actually coming next week(FINALLY) I will probably upload what I have this weekend since I won't have this device much longer.

for root and adb and adhoc wifi you can see my stuff here : Sylvania 7" tablet at Sears

Can't you post your files here or link to filefront (free)

gottahavit

Nov 13, 2010
OK

as requested here are my ADB and adhoc scripts and instructions:
Files:
ok here are my GScript scripts for adb wifi and for switching to and from ad-hoc. also in here are sample supplicant files.
Load them into Gscript and then just run the ones you want. You can also create links on the home page for them. after you load them you may need to check the "Needs Superuser" checkbox
edit the supplicant files for your network and adb push them into your /data/misc/wifi folder.

BE CAREFUL with the ADHOC !! IF YOU MESS UP YOUR WIFI SO THAT IT CAN"T CONNECT YOU WON'T HAVE ADB AND YOU"LL BE STUCK TRYING TO FIX IN THE EMULATOR ON THE DEVICE!!!!!! TRUST ME I DID IT SEVERAL TIMES, IT AIN'T FUN ;-)
ADB WIFI script is fairly harmless.

MARKET:
USE AT OWN RISK!!!
YOU MUST BE ROOTED!
YOU MUST HAVE ADB WORKING!!
YOU MUST HAVE A WORKING ANDROID EMULATOR WITH MARKET!!!

http://rapidshare.com/files/432225124/gev.zip

This is a modified google experience originally posted by clockworx for the PDN, I give him all the credit and none of the blame.
1) Unzip the zip file to where you have ADB working
2) run the bat file
3) go here and follow the instructions for a working market : Ugly hack to working market
4) GOOD LUCK!

again give all credit for this to clockworx, I just tweaked it.

If you are uncomfortable with any of the above.. DON'T DO IT.

Attachments

• $gscript.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 690
Last edited:

gottahavit

Nov 13, 2010
got an email from the support person I had been talking too. He said they had not released yet and would try to get me an update. my a101 comes tomorrow though so as much as I like this little thing I think it's going back. Really for the money I think this is a better deal than the PDN(close call). it's really quite quick. the only serious issue with this thing is the battery life. I can live without the accelerometer and I'm sure they will fix the hdmi. Honestly the usb is a non issue with adb over wifi working.

naysses

Nov 8, 2010
At Gottahavit:
Even if you return, if the Sylvania send you an update for you to check it out, taket it and post it here or send to Tipstir to take a look at it. Unfortunately, I don't have enough experience on this... but you guys are "Awesome"
Also, Let us know about the Archos 101 ... some people said that it is very difficult to mod, remove the UI... but again I read from a person that does not have experience (that's what he said).

gottahavit

Nov 13, 2010
I will, but I doubt they will send to me, I am pretty sure they will release it OTA. If they tell me it's available I'll post the notice here thought.

naysses

Nov 8, 2010
Is going to sound "stupid' but I tried to find on other forums, read about it and I am lost!!! I am going to buy a Sylvania Tablet this coming black friday and I would like to root and "twick" this tablet for better performances but I don't know how. I got this list that I gathered myself from reading around and some post but I have no Idea what to do with them... I got a few already downloaded to my computer but don't know how to install and how to used/setup after. Here is the list:
- Universal Androot
- Root Explorer
- Autokiller (set to STRICT - 60,50,40)
- Advance task killer pro
- Autostart /startup manager/ startup auditor (to block certain apps from starting up at boot)
- Homeswitcher
- Launcherpro
- Battery booster lite
- Memory booster lite
- Wifi toggle widget (to quickly shut on/off - wifi uses to much memory)

I believe some apps does the same thing (just different name)... if that's the case can anybody pointed out?
Except for some that are obvious (Battery booster lite, Memory booster lite, Wifi toggle widget and autostart) I have no idea how to use or setup. I may asking too much but is there any guide on how to root and what
to do after root - installing/setting up these apps above mentioned? As you can see, I don't know nothing about linux, android but I a good follower if there is guide. More that I read, more lost I feel.
I don't mean to fill up this forum by any mean with a lot of guide.... if anybody have a tutorial/guide step-by-step please fell free to email me at [email protected] so we keep this forum clean.
Any info will be very appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited:

gottahavit

Nov 13, 2010
Is going to sound "stupid' but I tried to find on other forums, read about it and I am lost!!! I am going to buy a Sylvania Tablet this coming black friday and I would like to root and "twick" this tablet for better performances but I don't know how. I got this list that I gathered myself from reading around and some post but I have no Idea what to do with them... I got a few already downloaded to my computer but don't know how to install and how to used/setup after. Here is the list:
- Universal Androot
- Root Explorer
- Autokiller (set to STRICT - 60,50,40)
- Advance task killer pro
- Autostart /startup manager/ startup auditor (to block certain apps from starting up at boot)
- Homeswitcher
- Launcherpro
- Battery booster lite
- Memory booster lite
- Wifi toggle widget (to quickly shut on/off - wifi uses to much memory)

I believe some apps does the same thing (just different name)... if that's the case can anybody pointed out?
Except for some that are obvious (Battery booster lite, Memory booster lite, Wifi toggle widget and autostart) I have no idea how to use or setup. I may asking too much but is there any guide on how to root and what
to do after root - installing/setting up these apps above mentioned? As you can see, I don't know nothing about linux, android but I a good follower if there is guide. More that I read, more lost I feel.
I don't mean to fill up this forum by any mean with a lot of guide.... if anybody have a tutorial/guide step-by-step please fell free to email me at [email protected] so we keep this forum clean.
Any info will be very appreciated.
Thanks.

Well I returned mine today, because my a101 showed up but...
Some of these apps I am familiar with and are good for cleaning and keeping your device up to snuff.

- Universal Androot - used to root your device
- Autokiller (set to STRICT - 60,50,40) - used to automatically shut down apps when you turn off your screen so as to preserve battery.
- Advance task killer pro - lets you kill off apps manually
- Autostart /startup manager/ startup auditor (to block certain apps from starting up at boot) - I've never used
- Homeswitcher - used to switch launchers - actually kinda pointless if you get a home screen launcher you like.
- Launcherpro - IMHO the best and fastest home screen available for free
- Battery booster lite - NO CLUE
- Memory booster lite - NO CLUE
- Wifi toggle widget (to quickly shut on/off - wifi uses to much memory) - yes this is a good one, but it's more that wifi uses too much battery.

to be honest speed is not the issue with this device. it's pretty quick and a total video beast.
The REAL issues with this device are:
#1 - BATTERY LIFE!
#2 - BATTERY LIFE!
#3 - No Screen off button - hopefullye software will fix this
#4 - no accelerometer
#5 - HDMI and USB are busted - hopefully software will fix this soon.
#6-10 - DID I MENTION BATTERY? I MEAN THE BATTERY LIFE IS TERRIBLE.

this is a GREAT little device for the price, IF it had a better battery it would be worth another 50 bucks easy.

naysses

Nov 8, 2010
At gottahavit,

I really appreciate your info on this.... again I will be getting one on black friday (hopefully for 140.00) and I will use this tablet to learn how to root and "twick" like you and many others. I understand that the battery "sucks" but depending how the unit is build I may try to open and check what kind battery is in it and changed to one that gives more time without jeopardizing the rest of the circuit.... I used to be really good in electronic circuits repair (back when I was in Brazil +- 15 years ago). If I succeed, I will be posting a step-by-step (with pictures) here and probably giving this tablet to my wife.
I will be waiting for the new tablets that will be coming in 2011. They will probably comes with honeycomb or gingerbread and hopefully with better hardware (more memory, battery life and etc)... who knows.
Again, thank you for response and enlightenment ... Naysses.

gottahavit

Nov 13, 2010
is the battery user replaceable?
depends on your definition of "user replaceable" ;-)
is it meant to be replaced? NO
is it possible to replace it? I'm sure, but how much effort and how much it would cost I have no idea.

like I said if you can live with a 3 hour batter life then this is a great little tablet. it's very fast for whats in it, obviously the software was put together pretty well.

Nlaak

Nov 25, 2010
I am also heading up to to Toys-R-Us in about 1 hr to get my Sylvania Tablet. Also want to root and get the market working. worthless to me otherwise. Will post full details and pics out of the box then ask for help on rooting and adding more to it.

Got it. Read post #31 in this thread.

Last edited:

STi

Sep 2, 2010
I'm going to pick one of these up as well along with a galaxy tab tonight in about 2 hours...Like above root and market asap...hopefully this battery issue is software related. It's for my 3 year old for movies and some games and such...keeps asking for my iPad but that's not going to happen....lol

Player911

Nov 25, 2010
Is this thing able to be rooted and such? I'm really wanting to buy this primarily for my 4 year old to keep him off my Nexus (he loves Angry Birds) and for basic couch surfing. The lack of an Android Market doesn't phase me as I have tons of collected apps on my SD card already.

My problem is that I just don't know about the device being reliable. I've heard the USB ports aren't working out of the box and the headset port is mono. Those really aren't even buzz kills but I'd like to be able to root and flash updated roms on it.