Sylvania SYTABEX7 Owners: Must Read

ImagineThat

Dec 2, 2010
Having good Linux skills I am not afraid to try more tweaks, very carefully however.

Hmmm, good linux skills, eh? I have no linux skills, but I went ahead and setup ubuntu on a spare PC and learned some basics. My objective is to be able to unpack image files of the various partitions on the tablet, modify them, then repack and flash back to the device. This process will eventually lead us to be able to make custom builds for the device, port other versions of Android over ourselves (DG isn't too promising), etc. Where i'm stuck is that the images appear to be yaffs2 but unyaffs won't read them and I even tried recompiling my kernel with a patch to enable yaffs file system support but still cannot get the img file to mount...anyway, let me know if this is an area you care to explore...I think I've probably gone into too much detail for this thread.

novadar

Mar 26, 2011
I does sound like fun. I am constantly slammed with work stuff. I work on the front-end, Application Servers, BI, etc. I have had to do kernel tweaks in the past so I am not fearful of the process but I need to educate myself on how these images are instantiated on this hardware. It is also very new to me, a far cry from x86 or SPARC type systems.

I will try my light touch stuff first. I am considering tackling the apparent issue with the quality of the physical batteries. My suspicion is that no matter how optimized the kernel or image can be made, crap hardware is crap hardware. The juice is the most important thing. Since I got a great deal on this I am willing to spring a bit on high-quality batteries.

Please keep me informed on your status as I will do the same.

Fun, huh?

Mar 23, 2011
I installed "AndRootFile" from the Amazon App Store. I actually installed and ran it before I rooted using UnivAndRoot. It said I did not have root access (d'uh). After the shockingly fast root process. I opened AndRootFile again. Hit the "Super-User" button, found Phone.apk, clicked, selected rename, clicked ok, fought with the tablet for a few seconds to get it to shutdown (I kept holding the power button because the warning message about Phone.apk being in fault would not go away.

Amazon.com: AndRootFile: Appstore for Android
Derp, I knew I was missing a step. I even remember seeing that app in the Amazon store and thinking "Oh, well, I'm not rooted, so it won't do me any good" XD

Thanks, that worked perfectly! Do we have a list of functions that can be safely thrown out yet? I haven't noticed any in the other threads. Obviously Phone.apk, and maybe the Bluetooth app, since the tablet doesn't have any sort of bluetooth function. Anything else that might be safely deactivated to free up resources?

Mar 23, 2011
Thanks for the list, Novadar!

I think the HDMIsomething and TheaterModesomething must be related to the HDMI-output that the Express doesn't have. Theater Mode referring to the 'home theater', aka the HDTV. I'm amazed at how much junk is left in there that isn't being used. I mean, surely it wouldn't've taken much time or effort to simply disable/remove the apps that the tablet didn't need to begin with. But I guess, again, what do I expect from cut-rate technology, right?

Well, sum result of my Tech Talk is that I've been given the offer as well(I think... what exactly is an "RMA request" anyway? They don't explain in the E-Mail). Except they apparently want all the original packaging. It's been two weeks since I bought this thing and I didn't even notice for the first week that it wasn't updating properly (I swear it did once), so, yeah, no I don't have the packaging.

On the other hand, the tablet as it stands right now is very nice. I mean, yeah, I'd love a free upgrade, but I'm not heartbroken if they won't take it without the original box.

And now you know... the rest of the story.

Last edited:

ImagineThat

Dec 2, 2010
These system programs have been confirmed to be OK to remove:
AlarmClock.apk
sam3.apk
Phone.apk
TelephonyProvider.apk
Bluetooth.apk
GoogleSearch.apk
Term.apk
CalendarWidget.apk
WeatherForecast.apk

Personally I have the SYNET7LP, so I didn't remove the theater or HDMI programs. Others can obvisously be removed too, like the various reader apps that they pre-installed, the skyfire browser if you don't like it, etc.

fatmanwalking

Mar 26, 2011
Well, sum result of my Tech Talk is that I've been given the offer as well(I think... what exactly is an "RMA request" anyway? They don't explain in the E-Mail). Except they apparently want all the original packaging. It's been two weeks since I bought this thing and I didn't even noticed for the first week that it wasn't updating properly (I swear it did once), so, yeah, no I don't have the packaging.

"RMA request" means Return Material Authorization request. in the email that they sent you there should have been a RMA number. They usually have detailed instructions on how they want item to be packaged (I've returned a couple of hard drives in my time. Talk about forcing a guy to jump through hoops to return a defective product) and with the RMA number printed on the shipping box or printed on a piece of paper and placed inside the shipping box.

If they didn't send you an RMA number, ask them for one and also ask if it is necessary to send them the original packaging as well. I believe that they offer a one year warranty.

Last edited:

novadar

Mar 26, 2011
You know I think mine updated once as well. Because at first my USB did not work. After the "update" it did work. I just ordered a larger MicroSD and frankly if the "upgrade" only gets 1GB for Flash disk I don't think I will even bother with the return/replacement. Just chatted with my father a retired Master Electrician about the batteries. He sees no issue in replacing them. I am pretty handy with my soldering iron. Running a test right now by playing several movies back to back to see how long the battery will last. If I can get 3 hours that will be good. My flights are usually just under that so in its most extreme state that would be the length usage.

naysses

Nov 8, 2010
At novadar;
I just installed Androot file but I have no idea where I can find the bluetooth.apk, dialer.apk, telephoneprovider.apk.... could you point me to the right direction?
Thanks.

novadar

Mar 26, 2011
There are other ways to do it but after rooting I used "AndRootFile" from the Amazon App Store. When you open the app set Super User it is a button on the bottom. Then go to SYSTEM -> APPS, there you will find the good and BAD stuff (bad, I say, bad battery drainers).

Mar 23, 2011
You know I think mine updated once as well. Because at first my USB did not work. After the "update" it did work. I just ordered a larger MicroSD and frankly if the "upgrade" only gets 1GB for Flash disk I don't think I will even bother with the return/replacement.

Can't be certain if mine didn't or not, since it's become a rule of thumb with me and digital gadgets: "First thing after getting device - update to latest firmware"

But I'm pretty much at the same point here. I mean... the thing runs pretty well as it is, I can't really imagine what they'd change to improve that, that we can't do as rooted users. And with a fair number of reports about defective devices right out of their boxes, I'm kind of hesitant to send in my good one on the chance I might wind up with a bad one. Besides, this is what they say about the RMA request:

Please reply to this message in the following manner to begin the RMA process*: include your full name, email address, shipping address, date & location of purchase, and model# of your unit. Have all original packaging and the receipt from an authorized location of purchase ready as our RMA eligibility system and company policy demands that we cannot assist you further without this information.

Once this information is received, you will be sent a confirmation message and an electronic shipping label from UPS. Please attach this label to the original product box, and include the unit to be returned and a copy of your sales receipt. The shipping label we provide you will cover all shipping costs.

* Please note: Units purchased from non-authorized retailers (any secondhand or on-line location such as Amazon or eBay) will not be eligible for an RMA. Please also note that we manually check every unit that comes into our RMA department. If the unit shows obvious signs of tamper and/or software modification, you will not be eligible for an exchange, the unit will be sent back to you, and your warranty will be considered void thereafter. Please take this information into account before sending out a unit for RMA.

It sounds very much like a factory reset is in order, if I want to send this thing back. Frankly, that's just this side of more effort than I really want to put into it. A bigger MicroSD card might be a wiser investment.

novadar

Mar 26, 2011
That last bit about "software modification" seems a bit extreme.

I plan to keep it.

My younger brother modded his Droid phone to allow him to run different versions of Android from the SD. He says I really need to get 2.2 running and should try by that route. He his going to look it up but not having a recovery image for this is making me pause. I don't have the time right now to dive into this that much. Perhaps in a month to 6 weeks.

So far the "service reduction" tweaks look to be working well. I played one 1:20 minute movie and still had 67% battery left. Playing another one right now, almost at 1 hour into it.

The LauncherPro's look and feel seems pretty sharp to me.

fatmanwalking

Mar 26, 2011
Can't be certain if mine didn't or not, since it's become a rule of thumb with me and digital gadgets: "First thing after getting device - update to latest firmware"

But I'm pretty much at the same point here. I mean... the thing runs pretty well as it is, I can't really imagine what they'd change to improve that, that we can't do as rooted users. And with a fair number of reports about defective devices right out of their boxes, I'm kind of hesitant to send in my good one on the chance I might wind up with a bad one. Besides, this is what they say about the RMA request:

It sounds very much like a factory reset is in order, if I want to send this thing back. Frankly, that's just this side of more effort than I really want to put into it. A bigger MicroSD card might be a wiser investment.

Wow! and I thought Seagate and Hitachi were being tough about their RMA requirements. It would have been fun to peek into the guts through a working USB port with my linux machine. Thanks for the additional info.

Angrybirds Rio doesn't work on mine and and a fix posted on the Amazon Apps Marketplace requires a USB port. I can live with that.

Last edited:

mardow

Mar 31, 2011
I got mine at CVS with the 25% off coupon for $75. I went and bought a 8Gb microSD card from microcenter for $13. So for under a $100 I got a device that I can read my email, read pdfs and ebooks, surf the web, watch movies and play a few games. I can not update my system and only one of my USB ports works, the one labeled "host". The "OTG" port is dead. But over all I am quite satisfied. I agree that a little perspective is required when judging this device. It is not a high end product, no German engineering or Japaneese quality. But so far pretty darn good bang for your buck. If it lasts me a year I'll be happy. Next year I'll get another one with the newer Android OS.

novadar

Mar 26, 2011
I agree wholeheartedly mardow. CVS surprised me a lot with this one. I was actually considering the $99 Sylvania Netbook but it runs WinCE. And I had a desire for a tablet for some time.

I found a 4GB mircoSD for only $3.99 on Amazon. I am very pleased after my tweaks. My battery test was modest yesterday. Off of a full charge it played 2 MP4/H264 videos for nearly 2 Hours 30 minutes before first screaming the battery was low and then just shutting off. I have found the Battery Booster App from Amazon App Store to be great. Also Memory Booster Lite (from Amazon as well) is excellent and FREE. LauncherPro just makes the look and feel great and "real Android-y". Bubble Buster is another fun addition, I am not into crazy games but it is a good idle time killer.