Synrgic Dreambook W7

emmert_m

Mar 30, 2011
Update: i found the following settings on the web which i had to enter to get the Dreambook to connect to the internet.

Name: AT&T
APN: wap.cingular
Proxy: (leave blank)
Port: (leave blank)
User name:WAP.CINGULARGPRS.COM
password: CINGULAR1
server; (leave blank)
mmsc: http://mmsc.cingular.com
mms proxy: wireless.cingular.com
mms port: 80
mcc: 310
mnc:410
authentication type: none
apn type:internet+mms

These settings got the W7 on the web, but the icon said "E" for edge. According to the owner's manual, the symbol for 3g appears to be the same bars that are seen when only the phone is active and the internet disconnected, even before i input the settings. Needless to say. I am a little confused on that issue, and am wondering if anyone on AT&T that has input the settings for 3g used settings different than what i listed above????. I did a speed test and it came back as 155 kbs. One other thing I noticed is that with my sim card installed the device really seems a little buggy, but perhaps future updates will make it a little more stable.

Mine didn't come with Google maps preinstalled like the manual says, so i have not had the opportunity to try the GPS. I thought i was ready to try the hdmi out but then rrealized i had the wrong cable. I ordered a mini hdmi to hdmi cable and i'll try it out as soon as I get the cable. However, i got an adapter for the usb host to convert to a stard usb female and attempted to hook up a keyboard/mouse, but absolutely nothing happened. Is there a setting that needs turned on to activate the usb host?

Lastly, the owners manual mentions fm radio, but i see no place in the programs of the device to interface with it. Is there software that needs downloaded to make use of this feature?

This is a really neat device. it works flawlessly on wifi, and i like the fact that it can make phone calls. I'm looking forward and hoping to be able to utilize all its features.

Thanks,

Mike

emmert_m

Mar 30, 2011
I haven't had the chance to download v20 yet but i did try out the gps. I also couldn't get google maps to loacate my position, but i notice on launch it says "login failed" or something of the sort, so perhaps that is why. locus seemed to work good, and i agree that it does take 1-2 minutes to get your location. I can verify that the speed you are traveling(in kmh) is indeed displayed, and it is located in the upper left corner. I believe there was a distance, too, but since i didn't input a destination i'm uncertain what it was the distance to. I didn't play with the programs and settings that much yet, i justed wanted to confirm that for you.

JNUBI

Apr 13, 2011
I have not purchased this device, but Iam thinking seriously about it ...
Of all the reviews so far.. not one has left an opinion regarding the GPS (a-gps)
Can it work with google maps ?
how long does it take to get a location fix ?
Can the W7 use GPS without a-GPS ?
Does it do voice navigation?
anyone ??

If anyone is interested I'll be selling the actual dreambook w7 as I have an in with the factory and an account set up to do so. So you can skip the write up from the drop shippers and the guys selling the alternate (cheaper) version on ebay. Yes there are actually two versions of the dreambook one made by SIM Sim and another made by Synrgic. Don't buy the one from SIM as it is not branded dreambook and had a slightly different shape and metal housing. Though I actually prefer their housing better, the Synrgic version is the one you want as it has a stable platform. The SIM version is not stable. Anyhow if you are interested send me a note. I can put up a listing on ebay if you wish and I accept payment through paypal! I believe the lowest I've seen it is for $389 if you can find it cheaper for the Synrgic version I will try my best match it!

myzter

Apr 3, 2011
hello JNUBI

maybe you could make a short video showing the latest V20 firmware
All the video online for Dreambook W7 do not show the GPS with Google maps working.
Google Market, USB mouse/keyboard connection, and buetooth to make a wireless call ?
This will help me make a purchase right away!

emmert_m

Mar 30, 2011
I too am curious now about the v20 update. Is the update good for both versions of the w7? My w7 came in a synergic box with a synergic manual but doesn't say `Synergic` anywhere on the device, so im perplexed as to what version I have. If I update with the v20 on the synergic site, and my device turns out to not be the synergic version is it gonna brick my device?

myzter

Apr 3, 2011
emmert_m
JNUBI says the W7 from SIM is slightly different shape and metal housing
Which place did you purchase from ?

The firmware's are updating constantly, it is now V21. I have requested details of the updates.. to see if bugs or features are getting looked into... Or if it is more to do with the update itself and getting the pkg to work correctly...

Synrgic has posted a guide:
How to update(english): Dreambook ROM Refresh Course
http://synrgic.com/android_apps/English_Dreambook_ROM_Refresh_Course.pdf

emmert_m

Mar 30, 2011
I got mine from merimobiles. I opted to get the w7 because the kinpad kept getting delayed. I give them high marks. Great communication and a great device.

myzter

Apr 3, 2011
emmert_m
If U get a chance to update firmware to V21.. please post your user experience for the forum ?

dimisx1

Jan 24, 2011
I am also concern if my dreambook is original one or not i bought it from alyexpress but come without logo printed one the box neither on device it has plastic cover and i did upgrade with v20 and works ok. Can someone post a link with the sim product to see the diference i can΄t find it anywere.

xracer

Apr 17, 2011
emmert_m
If U get a chance to update firmware to V21.. please post your user experience for the forum ?

I updated to V21 yesterday, this ROM version is a mistake! Do not use it. Does not seem compatible, and makes tablet very sluggish and slow. Some apps no longer work, even when removed and reinstalled.
From settings menu then "About Device" build number reads B02V01-20110414(HD104)

If you have V17 or V20 please send or post it so that I can revert to something that works.

emmert_m

Mar 30, 2011
XRACER
My build number reads: V14-20110308

So, it kinda looks like there's been several updates in a little over a month (March 8 to now). I was gonna try the update today while I had some free time, but now I'm thinking i better hold off til there is more info.

DIMISX1
Does V20 yield improvement with google maps, or usb and hdmi functionality?

dimisx1

Jan 24, 2011
The v20 enabled fm radio , hdmi , file explorer , backlight control and more responsive tablet.

dimisx1

Jan 24, 2011
I updated to V21 yesterday, this ROM version is a mistake! Do not use it. Does not seem compatible, and makes tablet very sluggish and slow. Some apps no longer work, even when removed and reinstalled.
From settings menu then "About Device" build number reads B02V01-20110414(HD104)

If you have V17 or V20 please send or post it so that I can revert to something that works.

The link of the v20 if someone needs it :http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11839213/V20.rar