Synrgic Dreambook W7

felipe

Apr 24, 2011
For 104 - Only Android 2.2 has been released. (v25)

for 105 - Only Android 2.3.3 is available on the website (v25)

Hope this helps.

You can try putting the 105 version on the HD104, but not sure what this will do.

Ciao
Ash

Right now there are:
V25 2.2 for HD104 MFG
V25 2.2 for HD104 SD card, much easier to update
V25 2.2 for HD105 with SD card
V25 2.3.3 for HD105 MFG.

kopeland

May 4, 2011
Hi everyone, it's been a couple of days since some how loading 2.33 on my HD104 tablet. You all might remember all the trouble I had but ended up using V25 HD105 for MFG. I have found several issues with this version, battery life seems much shorter, charging light stays on when tablet powered on and sometimes just appears some time after it has been powered of, The keyboard seems smaller and the bottom row of keys are half missing on screen, I will try and find different Screen Launcher and see if this fixes it.
The Gps works but is very sluggish need more time with this and the Reboot Screen has a totally different layout with different options. One good thing for me is the Apps. are larger and easier for me to see.To be honest I prefer my earlier version but I'm not game to try and change.

I restored mine back to V25 (android 2.2) for the same reason of the charging light always on, very annoying. I cant wait for the version 2.3 on HD104.

but the experience of upgrading to 2.3 has been awesome :)

ash2dust

Jul 22, 2011
I am wondering what advantages people are finding in 2.3.3 against 2.2.

Advantages that I have seen with 2.3.3:

1) Longer Battery Life
2) Wifi and 3g are more stable

Disadvantages:

1) OpenGL ES support is missing
2) Video seems to be hanging, crashing
3) Games seem to crash a lot

I am still looking for a HD105 2.2 firmware to use with mfgtools, if anyone has a link or file for me

Thanks

Duds007

Jun 10, 2011
Advantages that I have seen with 2.3.3:

1) Longer Battery Life
2) Wifi and 3g are more stable

Disadvantages:

1) OpenGL ES support is missing
2) Video seems to be hanging, crashing
3) Games seem to crash a lot

I am still looking for a HD105 2.2 firmware to use with mfgtools, if anyone has a link or file for me

Thanks
That is very strange ash2dust my battery life is shorter on the
2.33 version than my original 2.2 HD104. We all seem to experience different changes.

Duds007

Jun 10, 2011
I restored mine back to V25 (android 2.2) for the same reason of the charging light always on, very annoying. I cant wait for the version 2.3 on HD104.

but the experience of upgrading to 2.3 has been awesome :)
Hi kopeland ,when you changed back to V25 2.2 did you notice the change to the reboot screen and what process did you use to delete the 2.33 version.Thanks

ash2dust

Jul 22, 2011
That is very strange ash2dust my battery life is shorter on the
2.33 version than my original 2.2 HD104. We all seem to experience different changes.

The thing to keep in mind is that the 104 seems to have a 3300 battery and the 105 a 4200.

Also, i have been to china to check out the hardware and the 104 is an older version that is available in shops around shenzhen, while the 105 version seems to be only available if you buy it direct from the factory.

Weird, I know, but sometimes China can be confusing.

ash2dust

Jul 22, 2011
Okay, to make things a bit more organised, I will put down my findings and research down here. I will explain step by step what I have done, and people can chime in with their opinions/findings.

This is for the HD105 model ONLY. I currently do not have a HD104 to test on.

1) I have installed 2.3.3 - V25 for the HD105. The firmware was downloaded form - Introducing Synrgic ( WikiFortio - Wikifortio) using the mfg tools app. I have updated this device several times using windows vista 64 bit, using this SE Blank Elvis Driver.

2) Out of the box, the 2.3.3 is a bit buggy. Textures and Sound issues --> /I rooted the device using the gingerbreak apk, and then installed Chainfire 3D. I set the textures down to 16 bit mode.

3) I installed arc media player, as the stock media player seems to crash in the current version.

4) I will be testing out GPS and battery life today, and keep you updated on that as well.

Thanks
Ash

kopeland

May 4, 2011
Hi kopeland ,when you changed back to V25 2.2 did you notice the change to the reboot screen and what process did you use to delete the 2.33 version.Thanks

I restored it back using the same MFG tool that came with the 2.3.3 Android version. What I did was :
- first deleted the files under "\mfgtools-rel-HD105 for android 2.3\mfgtools-rel-HD105 for android 2.3\Profiles\MX51 Linux Update\OS Firmware\files".
- then I downloaded the Update_V25_HD104(for mfg) file from synrgic site.
- I then unzip the downloaded file to "\mfgtools-rel-HD105 for android 2.3\mfgtools-rel-HD105 for android 2.3\Profiles\MX51 Linux Update\OS Firmware\files"
- Run the MFG tool, and then click the Green button.
- same with the 2.3.3 upgrade process, it took less than 3 minutes to run and i got an error at the end.
- I rebooted the tablet and it came back to fresh V25 with Android 2.2.

I did not notice any change with the reboot screen. But the "Android System Recovery Menu" did change.

Werk_AG

Jul 14, 2011
Can anybody report CPU use of your device in idle state?

My device, without any aplication running, CPU use is always 28 - 34% . It seems me a lot high. I check the running process with CPU usage, and 2 systems process are the responsable: events/0 always 17% and System Android/Defenitions Store between 14% - 17%

At idle the CPU speed drops to 160Mhz, but what you think about that high CPU usage? Is normal?

felipe

Apr 24, 2011
Can anybody report CPU use of your device in idle state?

My device, without any aplication running, CPU use is always 28 - 34% . It seems me a lot high. I check the running process with CPU usage, and 2 systems process are the responsable: events/0 always 17% and System Android/Defenitions Store between 14% - 17%

At idle the CPU speed drops to 160Mhz, but what you think about that high CPU usage? Is normal?

Hi, Werk,
This is actually good news. A good Android device (phone or tablet) has a piece of software called governor, which controls the speed of the device under certain conditions. If the device is idle, it sets the CPU speed to a minimum that the device uses for controlling very basic inputs (events). When it detects an event (for instance, a phone call), it automatically increases CPU speed to a next level, in order to start the task (in this case, start communication with the network, send sound from network to speaker, collect and send to sound from the microphone to the network). If the CPU speed increase is not enough (CPU usage too high), it increases to a next level, and so on until the limit of the CPU. This happens to save battery at every task. In this case, note that there is not much advantage in keeping the device at a higher speed with low CPU usage. Using a high CPU usage at lower speed saves more battery. But the minimum speed should no be so low that the device wouldn't have enough CPU power to bootstrap to a next level.

Just to confirm, did you notice battery life longer or shorter? I'd guess longer.

Werk_AG

Jul 14, 2011
Hi Felipe

I'm aware about what you said concerning variable CPU speed. I just think that is too much two system process, even when in low speed taking 30% of CPU.

About battery, to be honest I can't say. I receive my device, power it on, and become very disapointed, I almost can´t read anything because of the small fonts. So I have not used it more than one or two hours, before the upgrade. Now it is with me almost any time, and the battery life is big concern, because I feel is to short (this is the reason why I'm try to find what is using the CPU).
If used with a sim card, as regular phone, life is very very short, no more than 5 ou 6 hours, even without make or reveive calls. When WiFi is on, Phone also on, and actively surfing on the internet by WiFi, battery drain is very high, 3 hours maximum. Bluetooth seems not drain to much battery.
Today I discovered that I can put the phone in flight mode and still turn on WiFi and Bluetooh. Battery last a lot more, so I think that phone mode is what causes the fast battery drain.
If the battery can't last at least 20 hours with the phone mode on, is almost unusable. Most of the time I need 3G on to receive e_mails from my company.
Soon I will open the device and try to see de capacity of the installed battery.

Last edited:

Werk_AG

Jul 14, 2011
Mine reports 800 Mhz 100% of the time 160 Mhz 0% of time since startup

Thank you Dreambook

Did you meen that your CPU is always at 800Mhz? Are you sure? I think it dynamically change speed in function of load. Mine when idle at home screen will drop to 160Mhz. In the Market you can find a nice widget that shows you, CPU clock frequency, and CPU % Ocupation, search for Temp CPU v2

My question in topic above, is about % of CPU ocupation at idle state, not it's clock frequency.

Dreambook

May 10, 2011
Thank you Dreambook

Did you meen that your CPU is always at 800Mhz? Are you sure? I think it dynamically change speed in function of load. Mine when idle at home screen will drop to 160Mhz. In the Market you can find a nice widget that shows you, CPU clock frequency, and CPU % Ocupation, search for Temp CPU v2
8++
My question in topic above, is about % of CPU ocupation at idle state, not it's clock frequency.

I did just runt "Android System Info" from market at it reports that the CPU has two speeds 800 and 160 and it also reports that 160 Mhz is never used . Even in Idle,

Maybe a bug in that app,

Otherwise a nice app as it gives tonnes of info about the system.