Synrgic Dreambook W7

felipe

Apr 24, 2011
I did just runt "Android System Info" from market at it reports that the CPU has two speeds 800 and 160 and it also reports that 160 Mhz is never used . Even in Idle,

Maybe a bug in that app,

Otherwise a nice app as it gives tonnes of info about the system.

I think this is correct. When I had 2.2, speed was always 800 Mhz, and there were 4 speeds available. Now with 2.3 on an HD104, there are 3 available speeds: 160, 400 and 800 Mhz. In about 10 minutes running (most of them downloading and installing Android System Info and other diagnostics software), 12% were on 160, 43% on 400 and 45% on 800 Mhz.

I also used Quick System Info Pro to have speed and CPU load information on taskbar. According to it, most of time the screen is on with no programs running gives me a speed of 400 Mhz, ~30% CPU load. Without a sim card.

Werk_AG

Jul 14, 2011
...of time the screen is on with no programs running gives me a speed of 400 Mhz, ~30% CPU load. Without a sim card.

Thanks Felipe. Mine it's similar... if you close Quick System Info, speed drops to 160Mhz, and CPU ocupation also around 30%.

muddasar

May 11, 2011
Hi,

Anyone having issues with V25 for HD104? I have upgraded to V25 but after that battery seems to be giving problem in charging and even after 12 hrs it stays at 90%. Downgraded now back to V24 but problem remains the same while it was working fine before upgrade. Any suggestions?

Thanks

mightyiam

Mar 5, 2011
The reported size is 18M

Thanks for that.

This is too small. The /cache partition holds the downloaded apps before they are installed. Did anyone notice that downloading of big apps fails? Try installing inotia 3 or Google Earth.

This is the reason. To fix it I actually repartitioned the /data to make room for a larger /cache.

A simpler solution which may only solve the apk download issue will be to make a symbolic link from somewhere in the /data filesystem to the /cache/download (or is it /cache/downloads?).

Something like:
Code:
#mkdir /data/.cache-download
#rm -r /cache/download
#ln -s /data/.cache-download /cache/download

Werk_AG

Jul 14, 2011
Great info mightyan. Many thanks.

I was tryed to install Paradise Island (~23MB) from Market and it don't install, possibly because the problem of a small cache partition.
What is the common value for cache partition in other devices.?

Sometines I have to play with Linux style command line... :) I have a FreeNAS machine!

Last edited:

Lindil

Jul 27, 2011
What a bad day. Got a fully bricked device :(
First, after trying to update to 2.3 usig MFG (I have a 105 HW version), I've got the same situation as Duds007.

Hi again felipe, well a little bit of good news after trying your procedure on my friends computer Windows 7 32bit we reached the point where the MFG Tool loaded drivers and gave Error message 0xffff0000 (-65536)-, as you said it might do, but all I got was a little Penguin on top left corner of screen with flashing cursor just below it. Tried to power on but no luck, pressed reset button >5 and penguin and cursor dissapeared. Tried again to power on but no go! A little closer Haha. Cheers

Now no reaction to anythig at all! It's not switching on, and even worse - not detected as any device, when I connect it to the PC. No reaction to any buttons, only getting warm.
Left it on the charge overnight, still the same situation. BTW, when connecting a charger - the charging light is not swithching on, only getting warm (even hot).
Opened the device (it's a very simple operation - there are 4 screws under the white rubber knobs, then you have to carefully de-attach the screen from the rest of the tablet body, using the plastic card). Disconnected/reconnected the battery wire - still nothing. The only reaction I've got - the charging light blinks orange sometimes, whet i connect the battery wire back.
Any ideas? I'm far away from China, from the vendor and the seller :(

Last edited:

dai

Jul 27, 2011
My device is in exactly the same state as yours after what should have been just another firmware upgrade. I don't even get the charging light blinking! What is odd is that the back gets warm where the battery is, but the device is totally dead.

I did hope that the battery disconnect/connect would solve it, but it made no difference in this situation.

I have been in contact with Synergic and they said to send it back to them for investigation.

Lindil

Jul 27, 2011
same story. contacted the seller, they've sad to send it back so they can return it to Synrgic for repair :( it will take ages for delivery, I suppose... :(

btw, the device is getting warm not near the battery (wich is actually in the upper left corner if looking at the front in landscape, with the home button on the right), but somewhere in the middle, more near the edge were are the connection ports are located. I suppose it's a CPU getting warm.

kopeland

May 4, 2011
Try not to charge it for like 1 day to let the battery drain. Charge it the next day, dont turn it on. after charging for like 2 hours, connect it again to your PC and see if it can now detect the device. If the device is still not detected. See if you can go to the Android Recovery Menu (hold the Home+Power+Back buttons) and do a wipe for mfg.

If they don't work, it could be a bad flash so, i guess you really have to send them back.

Last edited:

gfz

Apr 22, 2011
Android 2.3 Update...

There have been reports back to Synrgic stating that the beta 2.3 has some good improvements and working well but they also have had reports back of outstanding problems...which is understandable being beta firmware. Most of this has already been highlighted here by those that have tested it.

Their engineers are still working on it im told and soon as it is stable and issues resolved it will be released, no eta yet unfortunately but im sure once its released we will all know.

so...basically they are still working on it and we should see a final release soon! :)

mightyiam

Mar 5, 2011
Great info mightyan. Many thanks.

I was tryed to install Paradise Island (~23MB) from Market and it don't install, possibly because the problem of a small cache partition.
What is the common value for cache partition in other devices.?

Sometines I have to play with Linux style command line... :) I have a FreeNAS machine!

I don't know what the normal size of the cache partition is. I'd give it 200 or 300. I actually gave mine 200M. I really recommend the symbolic link method over repartitioning.

Werk_AG

Jul 14, 2011
Thanks for that.

This is the reason. To fix it I actually repartitioned the /data to make room for a larger /cache.

A simpler solution which may only solve the apk download issue will be to make a symbolic link from somewhere in the /data filesystem to the /cache/download (or is it /cache/downloads?).

Something like:
Code:
#mkdir /data/.cache-download
#rm -r /cache/download
#ln -s /data/.cache-download /cache/download

Had you try this code on a Dreambook?
I have root access, had try it (and some variations that I found at XDA) with Terminal and SU, but can make it work, I think because of permissions of the cache folder. It's read only, and comand rm -r is unsuccessful.
I'm not a Linux expert at all, and a absolute beginer with Android devices. Now I know why many people complain that can't install aplication A or B

Last edited:

kopeland

May 4, 2011
Had you try this code on a Dreambook?
I have root access, had try it (and some variations that I found at XDA) with Terminal and SU, but can make it work, I think because of permissions of the cache folder. It's read only, and comand rm -r is unsuccessful.
I'm not a Linux expert at all, and a absolute beginer with Android devices. Now I know why may people complain that can't install aplication A or B

you may have to remount it and change the permission to read/write

felipe

Apr 24, 2011
What a bad day. Got a fully bricked device :(
First, after trying to update to 2.3 usig MFG (I have a 105 HW version), I've got the same situation as Duds007.

Now no reaction to anythig at all! It's not switching on, and even worse - not detected as any device, when I connect it to the PC. No reaction to any buttons, only getting warm.
Left it on the charge overnight, still the same situation. BTW, when connecting a charger - the charging light is not swithching on, only getting warm (even hot).
Opened the device (it's a very simple operation - there are 4 screws under the white rubber knobs, then you have to carefully de-attach the screen from the rest of the tablet body, using the plastic card). Disconnected/reconnected the battery wire - still nothing. The only reaction I've got - the charging light blinks orange sometimes, whet i connect the battery wire back.
Any ideas? I'm far away from China, from the vendor and the seller :(

On the bright side, Duds007 ended up having his tablet updated to 2.3... (http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/freescale-based/8881-synrgic-dreambook-w7-41.html#post113864).

If your tablet gets warm, it is spending battery power on something, so this is not bad thing. Kopeland already suggested to let the battery drain, charge again and try again. Since you phisically disconnected the battery, I'd think you already did what he suggested, but faster.

What I did more than once, when I thought my tablet was bricked, was to charge it (doesn't matter if the led lights up or not), be sure it is charged and not warming up (by pressing reset for about 10 seconds and leaving cool down), connect to a computer through mini USB (communication port, not power port) and power up. Don't ask me why, but this woke up a tablet I thought was dead. If you cannot power up the tablet, you may still find it with windows, and try to format it again.

At worse, you're closer to China than any of us!... :)

Last edited: